You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-26-2016 The Blue Flyer - A Pi Beta Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
THE BLUE FLYER
A Pi Beta Production

The following article appeared in your morning paper:

Two teenagers took an early-hours rollercoaster joyride after breaking in to Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
The pair climbed over locked gates to take control of the theme park's Blue Flyer ride shortly after 04:00 BST.
"They flicked the switch and took a trip on the 82-year-old ride," confirmed reports.
A 15-year-old boy was given a community resolution order following Friday's break-in.

The two teenagers were on the ride for up to 30 minutes
A statement from Blackpool Pleasure Beach said: "They managed to operate the ride some time before security patrols discovered them at 04:50.
"From CCTV footage we understand the intruders were at the ride for up to 30 minutes.
"During this time two youths can be seen on the ride."
The statement added: "Following the break-in, the ride has been fully inspected and is operational and open to the public."

The Blue Flyer, based in the Nikelodeon Land section of the theme park, is a wooden rollercoaster designed for children.
Built in 1934, the ride lasts for 90 seconds and travels at a top speed of 15mph.
Community resolution orders are a way of dealing with low level crimes which do not result in the offender going to court or receiving a criminal record, Lancashire Police said.

One of the guilty boys and the one receiving Community Resolution is you son Nigel

NIGEL - 15
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Do you deal further with Nigel or is the Community Resolution his only penalty?

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie can't imagine anyone voluntarily going on a roller coaster...

He was forced to take a child on one and it was an AWFUL experience...

Terrifying Roller Coaster at Marineland:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevie has never been the same since and all...  affraid

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think a lot depends on what kind of boy Nigel is and what the community resolution entails. Is this a silly one off for him? How punitive is the CR?

I am inclined that there will be a punishment from me; either a spanking or being grounded - depending on what is used for 15yo in our family. The severity of said punishment will depend on the answers to the above questions. I think the CR will deal with the illegal activities but he needs to snswer to me as to why in the hell was he out and about at 4:00 in the morning.

AFinch

Sherrif
It's illegal activity. and it's dangerous, both from the standpoint of being out at 4AM, trespassing at that hour (I guess England is safer than here, but an intruder could end up shot), and operating heavy equipment he's not trained to operate. I don't care how slow the roller coaster goes, it's heavy enough to crush someone, and should it somehow jump the tracks, that could also result in injury or death.

It sounds like a community resolution order is, in the words of Nathaniel, "no big deal".

Nigel is toast. I have no influence on his CRO, but he's going to get a serious hiding--unless there's some mitigating factor of which the scenario hasn't made me aware, he can go cut a switch.

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Thanks Kier ........... for saving my arthritic typing fingers.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
Can't see they could have injured anyone other than themselves.

I do want to know what he was doing out at that time. Was this an end of school year prank, a dare or had he been drinking or taking drugs?

My inclination would be to not punish further since this would appear to be out of character and there is no indication that Nigel is spanked under more normal circumstances.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
As with Katz, a lot for me depends on what sort of boy Nigel is. If he is the sort to treat the CRO as no big deal, then I have little choice but to add my own punishment. If he is a boy who takes this sort of official reprimand to heart, I don't need to pile on. Like Ivor, I also want to know if this was a one-off incident, perhaps as an end of school dare, or a part of a pattern of behavior.

If I do decide to punish him, I think I must take into consideration the laws of the UK. I would imagine something other than corporal punishment would be necessary -- and for a 15 year old, probably more effective.

Kat

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
Ah, yes, Blackpool! I went there once for a night out to see the lights - it would have been autumn 1992. I drove up there along the motorway - very, very fast. I used to drive fast in those days. There were four of us in an Austin Maestro - two couples. I can't remember what rides we went on.

Anyway, as for Nigel. I'm going to whack him.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
"Joey" was very fond of Blackpool and all...

Jack

Admin
I'm pretty sure there will be additional punishment. There are some factors that effect exactly what it will be, but I can't see my way clear to not dealing with this - especially as he didn't inform me about it.

I'm also pretty darned curious how this occurred without me being informed of it immediately. I'm willing to believe that England is different than Texas, but that seems horribly different (unless he's at school, and the police contacted the school, but even then - why wouldn't the school inform me?).

Also, what was he up to that the other boy didn't receive a CR?

I need to calm down before I talk to him, but I feel like the switch tree is about to be trimmed.

squarecutter

Sherrif
My problem with this is that as a UK parent my hands are somewhat tied Uk law on corporal punishment precluding spanking a child with anything other than transient redness. This would seem to preclude almost all but the mildest implements, I also suspect I given the nature of our law I would already have dealt with the young man before he reached the magistrates court. I imagine that a certain number of hours of community service will be imposed and if I think Nigel would respond to a LEGAL spanking at his age I might already have done so. I will impose some restrictions till the CRO order is complete

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:
I'm also pretty darned curious how this occurred without me being informed of it immediately.  I'm willing to believe that England is different than Texas, but that seems horribly different (unless he's at school, and the police contacted the school, but even then - why wouldn't the school inform me?).

It occurred because I did not write the scenario properly. The thinking was the incident had happened, you were aware, and it had been adjudicated but had just now made the paper. However, it certainly does not read this way.

This is based on an actual incident. PiBeta emailed the link to this article to me and suggested it would make a nice BOTD and I agreed. I plagiarized borrowed the text directly from the linked article.

David M. Katz

Marshall
FYI - From an internet explanation of CRO:

Community Resolution

A Community Resolution is a way of dealing with an offender which is proportionate to lower level crime.  It can be offered when the offender admits an offence, in most cases, where the victim has agreed that they do not want more formal action taken.

How Community Resolution Works

As Community Resolution (CR) is a fairly recent method of policing - It is an innovative approach to dealing with minor offences, such as minor thefts, public disorder, criminal damage (such as vandalism) and lower level assaults. It supports the professional judgement of police officers to assess an offence, the wishes of the victim and the offender’s history in order to reach an outcome which best meets the interests of the victim and of the public.

For example, a mother phones the police because her 13 year old son has stolen £5 from her purse, she would like him to be spoken to by an officer.  A Community Resolution will allow the officer to ‘tell off’ the suspect regarding their actions but will not force them to disproportionately criminalise young people.

The following elements can be included, if it is felt necessary, alongside a Community Resolution (CR):

1.      Restorative Justice (instant or formal) – parties consent to meet face-to-face with the aim of repairing the harm and seeking a positive way forward; outcome agreements are usually reached.  

2.      Police Resolution – considering all factors, the officer determines words of advice are appropriate in this instance

3.      Youth Triage – following assessment, a young person (under 18 years) agrees to a program of activities designed with the aim of preventing further offending.  Further information can be found below.

Must all parties agree for a Community Resolution to be issued?  

Where possible, yes, but not in every case. The offender must always agree, at which point, the officer in case will speak to the victim, talk them through the process. The officer will take their wishes into account and then make a decision on the most suitable way to proceed.

Youth Triage

Triage is a national initiative supported by the Youth Justice Board and the Home Office.  The aim of Triage is to prevent the unnecessary introduction of young people into the criminal justice system and provide a response that is proportionate to the crime as well as conducting an assessment of their risks and needs in order to reduce the potential for them to re-offend.  Working in partnership Headquarters Criminal Justice, CANW (Child Action North West) and the three Youth Offending Teams have developed the protocol and processes for managing Triage in a consistent way.

squarecutter

Sherrif
wow Pi . I am behind the times on this. There seems very litlle that is punitive so I think for me the grounding would stand whatever. It certainly is preferable to keep a youngster out of the justice system if you can

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:
Jack wrote:
I'm also pretty darned curious how this occurred without me being informed of it immediately.  I'm willing to believe that England is different than Texas, but that seems horribly different (unless he's at school, and the police contacted the school, but even then - why wouldn't the school inform me?).

It occurred because I did not write the scenario properly.  The thinking was the incident had happened, you were aware, and it had been adjudicated but had just now made the paper.  However, it certainly does not read this way.

This is based on an actual incident.  PiBeta emailed the link to this article to me and suggested it would make a nice BOTD and I agreed.  I plagiarized borrowed the text directly from the linked article.

I agree with Square then - I would have dolled out punishment when it happened. While I wouldn't be happy about him getting his picture in the paper for this reason, it would be an example of what can occur when we're not careful - not as an excuse for further punishment.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum