You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Give a Boy Enough Rope
An Ivor Production

School is out and summer vacation is here. A few months ago you moved to a new house on the edge of a small town which is surrounded by fields, woods and a stream that is almost a river.

Your 14 year old son Jantzen seems to have settled well and has quickly been accepted into a small group of about half a dozen boys of his own age who live fairly close. Most days if the weather is good the boys disappear for most of the day returning occasionally for a bite to eat. You know they do go swimming in the river and while Jantzen can swim he does not like to be out of his depth and will panic in such a situation. You've thus told him to be sure when swimming to stay in the shallower water and not to do anything stupid. Of course the boys do horseplay in the river but you trust Jantzen to be sensible although you suspect his pals don't know of his fear.

Today you have gone out for a walk and hearing a lot of noise coming from the river decide to wander over and see what is causing the commotion. This is what you see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The boys have rigged up a rope swing from a tree and anyone on it is going over the deep part of the river - and that is Jantzen swinging from it.

Are you going to stand and watch, walk away, or walk over and tell him to get off?

2 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
If one never takes a risk, you'll get nowhere in life so I'm going to stay and watch, ideally out of sight. There are enough of his friends around to help him if anything goes wrong but he is probably doing this in an attempt to conquer his fear and to be one of the boys. I mustn't interfere and make him appear a wimp in front of them. If anything does go wrong, I can then intervene.

If he copes with the situation, I'll hope that I can walk away and later praise him for overcoming his fear but also suggest that it might be worth getting him some intermediate level swimming lessons in a pool and maybe follow that by seeing whether he might like to take a water based lifesaving qualification.

3 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Pi has saved me a lot of typing.

4 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
AFinch wrote:Pi has saved me a lot of typing.

Yep!

5 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
David M. Katz wrote:
AFinch wrote:Pi has saved me a lot of typing.

Yep!
ME TOO!

Iconoclast

6 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:46 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
Hopefully, in the time that Jantzen been playing with the others in the river he has managed to forget that he scared of deep water as he kept up with the others and he just forgot to tell me.

Of course, gotta watch in case he needs rescuing or, more likely, has achieved some to be proud of.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

7 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 am

Jack

Admin
I pretty much agree with everyone else.

A lot of times, this type of fear is produced by something that happens when we're very young, and it's actually easy to overcome IF the right situation arises. I'll watch to see what happens, and later we'll talk about it, but I see no reason to take action - it looks like he's there of his own will.

8 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Unanimous so far.

Kat

9 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:36 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Pi has said itfor me too. I might mention it to Janytzen later but it seems those boys have helped cure Jantzens fear of deep water for which we should both be grateful. I am certainly not going to spoil his fun or embarrass him in front of those new friends

10 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:20 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Thanks Pi Cool

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

11 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am

kalico

Sherrif
I'm with the general consensus

Hugs kal

12 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:44 am

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
If Jantzen can swim far enough, the depth of water should not trouble him. I will encourage him to swim one extra length of the pool every week, until he can swim a mile non-stop. Then he will not care how deep the water is, as long as he stays within a half-mile of the shore.

I swam a mile last week, just to prove to myself I still can at seventy.

Anyway, I'm going to whack those boys.

13 Re: BOTD 07-07-2016 Give a boy Enough Rope! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:39 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
I'm suitably impressed Emlyn

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum