a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 7/8/16 "Home Improvement" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
HOME IMPROVEMENT
A DMK Production

Wyatt is your six year-old son.  Just this year you have introduced "formal spankings" to Wyatt's punishment routine.

You and your spouse decide that Wyatt's room needs to be spruced up starting with a fresh coat of paint.  Wyatt is excited about the improvements.  Today you have moved Wyatt's furniture out of his room and you and your spouse are busy painting.  You have parked Wyatt in the den to watch his favorite video and told him to stay there and enjoy the movie.  

You take a break from painting and step out of Wyatt's room and see:

WYATT - 6
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wyatt has obviously found the paint you were going to use for the trim work and a spare brush.  Wyatt sees you and tells you he decided he wanted his bed painted too. (The bed is basically new and you had no intention of painting it.)

What happens?

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Wyatt is doing exactly what a six-year-old is supposed to do -- in simplest terms helping out with the household -- like doing his chores which he been told to do repeatedly.

The biggest mistake was mine -- not including Wyatt in this project.   I just have do the best to correct that although I'm not sur how.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

AFinch

Sherrif
Wyatt was told to stay in the den and watch the movie. He didn't.

While Y Lee is correct that we should have included him in the project, we didn't. He's disobeyed and damaged property by doing so. I got spanked at 6 for doing exactly this, and that's what's going to happen to Wyatt now.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
This is Wyatt's new room, and also how old he'll be when he's finally let out of it...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

MemoryMan

Sherrif
"Wyatt is excited about the improvements"

It's Wyatt's room and I'm going to kick myself for not involving him "hands on."

Nevertheless he disobeyed me and he's going to get two or three stingers and then stick his nose in the corner and display his somewhat pink rump whilst I do my best to clean off the paint before it dries.

Afterwards he can help me choose a nice bright contrasting colour for his bed and I'll find ways for him to hinder help complete the renovation project.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

ivor

Marshall
If he was somewhat older he'd find that brushes serve other purposes than just applying paint.

As it is I'll go along with MM's answer.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

David M. Katz

Marshall
I guess I will go ahead and chime in. I agree with all of those who have said that we should have figured out a way to include Wyatt.

*I am looking at the picture and I am impressed that Wyatt has not a drop on him, the brush is properly coated, and, as far as we know, the floor is clean. To be six and able to paint like this is impressive.

I am in the camp that Wyatt gets 2 or 3 sharp swats for his disobedience and then I am going to put him to work.

The damage seems to be done to the bed so why not let Wyatt finish it? (Yes, we will need to go back and do some touch up and possible extra coats.) I will put some drop cloths and paper all around and change Wyatt in to some clothes that he can get paint on (even though he hasn't been messy to this point but just in case) and let him continue. Does Wyat want a white bed? If so this is fine but if not the this can be a primer coat and Wyatt can pick out a color he likes.

* I am 52 and I cannot paint without getting more on the floor and me than on the walls.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Its an innocent kin of thing for a 6 year old to though he did disobey so maybe a few stingoers from you but he was curious and well aware that he was "put" out of the way and not part of the project.

I think the easiest thing to do now is to help Wyatt finish the job and have the rest of the bed frame painted so it all looks neat. He does seem to have started tidily enough though.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Not sure why people are saying Wyatt disobeyed. No one seems to have told him not to paint his bed. I'm sure he was curious, and no adult seems to have checked on him for quite a while.  I think nothing is gained by punishing a kid when the kid has no idea he was doing anything wrong. At most, an admonishment is appropriate. I think that we can now include Wyatt in the project and add painting the bed to the list of things to be accomplished. Pretty sure, though, we'll need to do some priming before painting it properly.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Kat wrote:Not sure why people are saying Wyatt disobeyed.

Kat

Because "You have parked Wyatt in the den to watch his favorite video and told him to stay there and enjoy the movie."

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
AFinch wrote:

Kat

Because "You have parked Wyatt in the den to watch his favorite video and told him to stay there and enjoy the movie."

Yes, but I don't see in the scenario that he has left the den. It's not clear where the furniture and trim paint are, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that they're in the den.

Kat

squarecutter

Sherrif
Kat wrote:
AFinch wrote:

Kat

Yes, but I don't see in the scenario that he has left the den. It's not clear where the furniture and trim paint are, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that they're in the den.

Kat

Icono, what have you done with Kat Shocked

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
squarecutter wrote:
Kat wrote:
AFinch wrote:

Kat

Kat

Icono, what have you done with Kat Shocked

Congratulations on subtly managing to insult both Icono and me. Razz While I certainly don't agree with Icono's conclusions on many issues, I do admire him for questioning authority.

Perhaps I'm missing something in the scenario that makes it clear that Wyatt has even technically disobeyed.

In any case, let's accept that he left the den. Surely that's very minor disobedience for a six year old. Just how authoritarian am I: was he meant to piss his pants rather than move from the spot where I left him; was he barred from going to the kitchen for a drink of water? Before I call something disobedience, I consider the age of the child, the reasonableness of what was asked of him and his ability to do what was asked. If I don't take into account the attention span of a young child, I've set him up for failure. I  also consider how absolute an instruction is. For instance, I imagine most parents tell their young children in the strongest possible terms not to play with matches. Telling a child to occupy himself with a video and stay in one room isn't quite the same thing. A child in Wyatt's situation might reasonably interpret the instructions to allow for a bit of movement within the house while knowing that he isn't allowed to wander outside or use the stove. Interpreting behavior as disobedient is not always a black and white issue.

Of course, I suppose that Katz, who always has seemed reasonable, actually intended in writing the scenario for Wyatt to remain put even if the den is on fire. It feels to me that the real issue is not that Wyatt left the den but that Wyatt started painting his bed. Would I punish him for leaving the den if he hadn't started painting? I can't see how punishment is appropriate unless I made it very clear that he wasn't to touch any of the paint supplies. Otherwise, I'm only using the excuse of disobedience to punish him for the behavior I failed to anticipate.

Kat

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
“Say, Tom Daddy, let me whitewash a little.”

Y.

Thanks Mr. Clemens.  <smirk>

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:
Of course, I suppose that Katz, who always has seemed reasonable, actually intended in writing the scenario for Wyatt to remain put even if the den is on fire.

Thanks, Kat.

I suppose I had no real purpose in my mind except trying to figure out what parents might do with a six year-old if they needed the child to be busy while they painted. The real issue in my mind was the painted bed.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
David M. Katz wrote:
Kat wrote:
Of course, I suppose that Katz, who always has seemed reasonable, actually intended in writing the scenario for Wyatt to remain put even if the den is on fire.

Thanks, Kat.

I suppose I had no real purpose in my mind except trying to figure out what parents might do with a six year-old if they needed the child to be busy while they painted.  The real issue in my mind was the painted bed.

Very Happy I'm glad that all discussion remained civil. A bit of discussion once in a while is more fun than everyone reaching consensus right away just as long as no one gets angry.

Kat

Jack

Admin
I'm kind of between those who are smacking Wyatt for disobeying and Kat. I agree there there is room for movement in the instructions that he was given, but 'getting a drink or using the bathroom' is a far cry from what he actually did.

In this case, what we do is going to depend on the bed. However, my main feeling is that it's Wyatt's room, so I'm just not going to worry about it too much. If he ruined it, and there's no way to keep it from looking awful.... Well, it was his choice.

What I will do is have a talk with him about using tools (again). He's never used paint before, so he has no idea of how to use it properly. If he'd told me he wanted to paint, I could have had him come in and 'help'. As it is, I'm just hoping we don't have too much paint on the floor below his bed.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum