Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

11 July 2016 - Single, Double, Triple, or Home Free?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
It's Saturday night.  Some of your older boys are going various places with friends of theirs.  Your 18-year old son, John, is having two of his best friends, Perry and Joe over tonight.  Neither of them have cars, so he's going to pick them up, and they're going to go see a movie - 'probably Tarzan.'

Perry - 16, John, and Joe - 16
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You have known Perry and Joe for years now, and you have permission to treat them just like your own kids.  While you've not used corporal punishment with either of them in a while, and you're not sure how long it's been since they received it at home, you do know it's still on the menu for both of them, just like it is with your older sons (though you normally allow your boys to chose between a couple of options).

When John has been gone 90 minutes or so, Perry's father calls and asks to talk to Perry.  He seems to have no clue the boys were going to the movie, so you leave it vague, in case you misunderstood the plans.  He was calling because Perry forgot his allergy medicine, which he's been needing every day recently.  You have a few of his pills at your house, though, since he's there so often, so it's not a problem.

Later, the boys come in, and you tell Perry his father called.  He is obviously a bit panicky over it, and he wants to know what you told his dad.

It turns out that, not only did the boys not have permission from the other father's to go to the movies, but they went to see The Purge: Election Year - an R-rated movie that you know Perry wouldn't be allowed to see, and you're pretty sure Joe wouldn't be.  You actually don't have any problems with them seeing it, but you do have a problem with the idea that they used coming to your house as a way to sneak it in.

Beyond the dishonesty, the boys were also thirty minutes late.  That's right on the acceptable/in trouble line for you.  Considering none of them have been in trouble lately, you would normally let it go with just a reminder of the rules and why they're there.  

Do you deal with the dishonesty, or just inform the other boys' parents?  Is John in trouble for his part?  And does the tardiness become an issue at this point?

Last edited by Jack on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total

AFinch

Sherrif
Did John HAVE a part, or did he go along to get along?

If I really don't have a problem with any of the boys seeing a movie of this type (and honestly, at 16, my parents TOOK me to see Midnight Cowboy, which was, at the time, Rated X although it now airs, unedited on TV), I think I'm going to talk to Perry and Joe and suggest that I need to call their parents. My guess is that they're going to beg for an alternative. Personally, I'd be inclined to let it go with an "it better not happen again". As to the tardiness--per the scenario, it's borderline anyway. I don't see a reason to make this into a federal case.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
What a relief! 

They went to a movie with only simulated killings rather than a politically correct non-violent protest where five cops go shot dead.

Y.

P.S. Remind Perry that you got some of his allergy medication since he forgot to bring it.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am going with "Home Free."

I think a discussion with the boys, particularly considering their ages, is all that is needed.

ivor

Marshall
I'm with the K Club. I don't see it as being anything that should be of any real concern to me as I'm not in loco parentis here.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

MemoryMan

Sherrif
As parents we like to keep an eye on our offsprings activities and it is right to do so; but why, at sixteen, should the boys need express permission to visit the cinema?  This smacks of over heavy parenting to me.

On the day the boys did nothing that was illegal - or even "wrong."  

They were borderline late home - so what? - They aren't kids any more.

They are home free.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

David M. Katz

Marshall
MemoryMan wrote:
On the day the boys did nothing that was illegal -

Well . . . technically . . . the two 16 year olds are not allowed to view an R rated picture unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. So they either sneaked in, had a friend in the box office, or, most likely, bought a ticket to another show and "accidentally" went in to the wrong screen. This is semi-enforced by the theater management but most kids know how to get around it. (Mine do.) Last time I checked no kids were in jail for this but it is actually a crime, at least in my jurisdiction.

But, as I often hear, it is no big deal. And, IMO, it isn't and so my original answer stands.

Jack

Admin
MemoryMan wrote:As parents we like to keep an eye on our offsprings activities and it is right to do so; but why, at sixteen, should the boys need express permission to visit the cinema?

In the United States, they use a five tier rating system to determine who can/should see a movie. It's a voluntary, not a legal requirement, but it's one many parents and theaters adhere to strictly. A 'rated R' movie, like Purge: Election Year is considered mature, and people under 17 are not allowed entry without a parent or guardian.

Some places enforce this less rigorously than others, but with today's multiplex theaters, it's easy enough to do like David suggested. Then again, unlike the accompanying picture, Joe and Perry are both big, mature looking football players. There's a chance they all three could have gone in with John using his ID to buy the tickets. Certainly, once they were in, I doubt they'd stand out much.

Oh - and David mentioned it was a 'crime' in his jurisdiction. I've not heard of that here, so maybe it's a code enforced item in some areas?

ivor

Marshall
Another instance of things being different on this side of the Atlantic.

The only classification we have that involves a child being accompanied by an adult is the 12A rating where the film is said to be suitable only for children over 12 when accompanied by an adult. However, there is no requirement for that person to be a parent or guardian.

There are also 15 and 18 ratings where 'proof of age' may be required, but there is no need for such 'children' to be accompanied.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
K Club for me too.

Kat

MemoryMan

Sherrif
A trip down Memory Lane ........... walking along a cinema queue in the 1930's. early 40's searching for a sympathetic looking adult.

"Please will you take me in mister?"

Imagine that today.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Iconoclast

Trailboss
HOME FREE!

Iconoclast

Jack

Admin
Yes, this did happen, pretty much exactly the way I described it. I was pretty upset with the boys when they arrived home, because I do NOT like being played. If they'd arrived home on time, I wouldn't have been so upset.

However, I'd already been telling myself something, so I made them wait a bit while I took a few deep breaths, then we had a talk.

There's something I've had to tell myself a lot, especially since this is an election year: there's what you know, what you feel, and the truth.

What I knew is that John said they were going to a movie, that Perry's Dad hadn't heard (or didn't remember) that, and that they were a little late getting home.

What I felt was that the three of them had set things up so they could go see a movie Joe and Perry's parents wouldn't have approved of, and which they're young enough to need parental approval (and accompaniment) for, using a stay at my house as cover - which felt both like playing me and total dishonesty.

The only part of the truth of which I'm sure is that the boys admitted they had gone to see Purge: Election Year, but they claimed it was impulsive. Oh, and I also know for sure that they know when they're supposed to be home, and they know what they're supposed to do when they're going to be late.

I'm willing to believe that they didn't consider when the movie started or how long it was, to know that they should have sent me a text or something before it started, but I don't understand why they didn't call me afterwards.

I told them what I thought, I listened to their side and thought it over. I decided there was no need to tell the other parents. While I would have let the tardiness slide in other cases, I wanted to make a point - especially since all three boys have phones and Perry and Joe have known me longer than John has, so each of them got two bare (their choice, as opposed to three on boxers). They just lined up with Perry in front (youngest) and John in back. Perry stepped up, shoved his pants and boxers down, assumed the position, took a couple of swats, and stood up for Joe - rinse and repeat.

After all three boys had been paddled, I received hugs and apologies. I reminded Perry of his allergy medicine, and the world moved on.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum