Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Jack

Admin
Your two youngest sons are 11-year old Kenny and 12-year old Colt. The two of them aren't related biologically, but they've been best friends since you took Colt in a few years ago.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In the past, you didn't get cell phones for your boys until just before they were 16. Because of the spread of them and their common usage, you eventually gave in and made 'boys' first cell phone' a present on the thirteenth birthday. Now Pokemon Go has come along, and the two boys who've not passed thirteen yet felt ten times as miserable as they had before, since a lot of their friends do already have phones. With the permission of your older boys (who'd had to wait), you buy cheap phones for Colt and Kenny, but phones that will play Pokemon Go (as well as do extraneous things like make phone calls). Before and after buying the phones, you went over a fairly strict rules contract for phone use with them. They both signed.

Their first day with the phones, they called you twenty minutes after curfew to say they hadn't realized how far they'd gone while hunting Pokemon, and there was no way they could make it back before 6:30. Normally that's an automatic spanking, but you felt this was understandable, and they had called, so you just restricted them from their bikes the next day.

This evening, you caught them sneaking out of the house to hunt Pokemon that come out at night. That is also an automatic spanking offense. You decide that taking the phones will make your point more clearly, however the boys protest (loudly) that you're hosting a Pokemon hunt the next day.

Is it time for one more last chance, should you go with the usual punishment for this offense, do you still take the phones, or is something else a better choice?

2 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:30 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
The point of punishment isn't to find a convenient "fine" for the people being punished. It seems to me that the decision to take the phones in this case does make the point better than any other punishment.

If the Pokemon hunt were a one in a lifetime event, I might cut them some slack, or give in to their request for a different punishment. I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

Punishment stands--if they'd kept their end of the bargain, it wouldn't be necessary anyway.

3 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
I would agree with Kier except this impacts the other kids invited to the hunt.

The phone restriction stands except for the hunt. An extra day is added to the end of the restriction.

4 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:43 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
I'm keeping their phones for a couple of days...

If they need a phone to play Pokemon they can borrow mine for a few hours...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stevie.

5 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 am

ivor

Marshall
I presume that it is two successive nights on which the rules have been broken. If so it definitely seems that they aren't taking their contract seriously.

There is nothing to stop you still hosting a Pokémon hunt tomorrow and them being excluded and perhaps that will be the best punishment. I suspect it would 'hurt' them more and have a longer lasting effect than a spanking.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

6 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 am

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:I presume that it is two successive nights on which the rules have been broken. If so it definitely seems that they aren't taking their contract seriously.

Nope - sorry I wasn't clear on that. There were two 'good days' between the two offenses. Does that make a difference to how you see it?

7 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:55 am

ivor

Marshall
Jack wrote:
ivor wrote:I presume that it is two successive nights on which the rules have been broken. If so it definitely seems that they aren't taking their contract seriously.

Nope - sorry I wasn't clear on that.  There were two 'good days' between the two offenses. Does that make a difference to how you see it?

Yep.

That being so I'll go for a "three strikes and you're out" policy but I reckon the talk I'll have with them before I say that ought to have them really worried about not being allowed to attend the hunt.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

8 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Taking the phones might make a stronger impression, but do I have any reason to believe that spankings wouldn't make a strong enough impression? The party is a special event. Maybe it's a not a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it's special because of the newness of the Pokemon Go craze. I think taking the phones now and depriving the boys of participation in the party will be memorable, but not in a good way. It creates a punishment out of proportion to the crime. The two of them can expect sore bottoms and confiscation of the phones the next time they break the rules. I would be clear with them that each successive incident of rule breaking will result in a lengthier confiscation.

Kat

9 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:16 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
I go with the spanking. You have to put your foot/hand down somewhere and show rules dont go out the window for Pokemon

10 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm

kalico

Sherrif
I'm with Squar and Ivor but my three strikes would be to take the phones away for a substantial time as they are clearly not being responsible enough as it sounds like the incidents were very close together..

Hus kal

11 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 am

Jack

Admin
This was based on, but not identical to, real life.

Adding to the complications is that we have Evan and Chas Tidwell staying with Kenny and Colt right now, and they don't have phones either. When I broke down and let my younger two get phones before turning 13, I dug out a couple of emergency phones (sometimes, when I upgrade someone's phone, I keep their old one, JIC), and turned them on, so Chas and Ev can play as well.

The thing is, while we did have a big Poke-hunt planned, it wasn't the next day. On the other hand, their was some argument about me taking phones instead of giving them a choice like I do their big brothers. I think the swing on the decision is that Evan is 13, and not small for his age, and he would have gotten Black, instead of the Tailblazer or even Red, and he did not want to find out how it feels, so the boys lost their phone the next day.

If the Pokemon hunt had been scheduled the next day, I'm sure I would have spanked instead. Taking the phones does seem to have made the point, though.

12 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 am

kalico

Sherrif
Lol.... I bet it did help!

Hugs kal

13 Re: 24 July 2016 - Pokemon Go (to your room!) on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 am

John Boy

Sherrif
A contract is a contract is a contract... But only between ferengi. Rule of Acquisition number 17. They are not living to their contract and they need to learn to pull back.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum