Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Jack

Admin
This afternoon, you caught your 18-year old son, John, and your 16-year old... lodger(?), Perry, in John's car, allowing Perry to drive without a license (Get all the details at Driving Into Trouble.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After much discussion with the two boys and some thought, you decided to do something you'd not done in a while. The boys were going to be put into separate rooms, with no company and no entertainment. Each boy was going to be given an assignment and some driver's education books to help complete it. Before starting on the assignment, each of them would have to recover from the thorough session you planned to give each of their backsides.

You were going to tell them the punishment could last all day, and that they could receive a repeat bottom warning if they weren't careful. In actuality, you planned to let them out early afternoon, if they'd finished their assignments, and you would only add to the punishment if they didn't give the assignment any effort.

They weren't happy with that, but they both agreed it was probably fair (and better than being on restriction, since they're coming up on the last week of summer vacation).

That was this afternoon. This evening, you received a call from Perry's father. Remember, Perry and his younger brothers have been staying with you for several weeks, while their mother was having health issues. Today, the health issues took a turn for the worst. Perry's father is already leaving work with the intention of leaving in just a few hours to be with her, and he wants to take the boys with him.

How does this effect Perry's planned punishment? Does it alter John's ordeal at all?

2 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
This is a no brainer! Perry goes with his father, Period!

No change for John.

Y.

P.S. His father can deal with him later in due course.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

3 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Jack

Admin
Y Lee Coyote wrote:This is a no brainer!  Perry goes with his father, Period!

Just for the record, 'Perry goes with his father' was never in question. You certainly have no right to prevent it. The question is, what, if anything, happens in the few hours before Perry's father arrives to pick him up? Anything? Does it wait until later? If Perry's punishment changes, is it fair to John for his not to change?

4 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:56 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
I think it has to change the situation. The question I'd have is whether the boys are aware of the change in the situation. If not--if you're waiting for Perry's dad to deliver the news, and the boys are unaware of what's happened, changing the stated sentence now will telegraph that something bad has happened elsewhere.

If they are aware, we'll get the paddling over, and change the seclusion into an assignment to be turned in later. If they are not aware, I'm not saying anything until after Perry's dad delivers his news. At that point, I will mitigate sentence to the assignment alone, no seclusion or paddling, for both boys. It sounds like they both know they really screwed up, and given the change in circumstance, I'm not sure ANY punishment is required to make that point.

5 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Jack wrote: The question is, what, if anything, happens in the few hours before Perry's father arrives to pick him up?  Anything?  Does it wait until later?  If Perry's punishment changes, is it fair to John for his not to change?

Perry's mother being deathly ill stops all other things except continuing to live and trying to prepare Perry for the bad news.  That is only thing on the agenda!

John will wait.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

6 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:46 am

ivor

Marshall
If his mother is that ill then I wouldn't want to send Perry off to visit her with a sore butt.

I tend to go along with Kier, although I would still ban John from driving for a few days

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

7 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:46 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Ivor.

Kat

8 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:I'm with Ivor.

Kat

Me too Very Happy

9 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Jack

Admin
I actually stopped while writing what actually happened in the last one, because I had the idea for this one, and David said he was short a BOTD.

I did consider giving the boys seclusion, since what they did was illegal, but I just didn't consider it that serious.  

In this case, I considered the punishment almost pro forma.  I felt like they understood that they'd screwed up and that it was pretty serious, but I still felt it needed some punctuation at the end of the discussion.

Each boy got the oval Lexan (between the small one for otk, and the medium one I usually use with the older boys) bare.  Because of their size difference, I separated the two of them, though they both knew they might not be receiving the same number of swats.  John was starting to really cry after six swats, but Perry took eight and wasn't crying as hard as John had, but I was sure he was sore enough to remember it for a while.

If I'm remembering this correctly, we didn't find out about Perry's mom for two days after this incident occurred, and I paddled the two of them the same evening it happened.

Oh - since it was John's car, he did get one extra bit of 'punishment'.  He has to take Perry and Evan to football practice every morning next week, then pick them and assorted friends up afterwards.

10 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:

Oh - since it was John's car, he did get one extra bit of 'punishment'.  He has to take Perry and Evan to football practice every morning next week, then pick them and assorted friends up afterwards.

You beast! How do you sleep at night? Razz

11 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:06 am

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:
Jack wrote:

You beast!  How do you sleep at night?  Razz

On my right side, usually surrounded by cats.

12 Re: BOTD 13 August 2016 - Changing Situations on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:05 am

StevieWeeks

Trailboss

(Stevie will interject his entirely unwanted thoughts here at the risk of upsetting everyone...)

If you've read my story 'Sweet Seventeen', you will know that I wrecked the family Hornet by showing off either on, or very close to (not quite sure), my seventeenth birthday...

The Hornet:

As a result I was forbidden to use the cars (after it came back from the body shop) for some extended period of time and all...

Problem... parents were far more inconvenienced than I was by this... in the two months I'd had my license I'd taken over a lot of the day to day errands that mom and dad previously had had to do... at least 80% of my driving was of this nature...

For instance, I'd completely taken over keeping them filled with with gas and the accompanying weekly maintenance... Dad was NOT pleased with having to do this himself after work again and all...

It was not long before my prohibition was relaxed in the direction of chores but the whole thing lapsed in about ten days...

I was never again punished by having my car privileges revoked...

Mom's car was a 1972 Toyota:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum