Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 08-23-2015 Blast From the Past 1980 The First Day of School - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Blast from the Past – 1980 – The First Day of School
A Kat Production

This is Jimmy ( 13 )on the day before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You teach 7th grade history at a Texas junior high school. Most of your students, including Jimmy, are 13 years old. On the first day of class, you go over the classroom rules with the kids. Your rules are pretty standard throughout the school. One of the rules pertains to gum chewing. In keeping with the school ethos, you warn that you will give two swats to anyone caught chewing gum and warn anyone now chewing it to spit it out. (Cleaning up improperly disposed of gum has been an ongoing problem for the janitorial staff.) A couple of kids do so, after which you tell the class, “Starting tomorrow, if you I catch you chewing gum, you’ll get your butt busted.”

Jimmy catches your eye, grins at you, takes a piece of gum out of his pocket, unwraps it and pops it in his mouth, saying, “You said ‘starting tomorrow’, right?”

Does the literal interpretation of your words preclude you from punishing Jimmy?

Iconoclast

Trailboss
"Does the literal interpretation of your words preclude you from punishing Jimmy?" Simple answer = YES!

iconoclast

Jack

Admin
"True, but I didn't have to catch you, did I? Grab the paddle and go out in the hall...."

I'll wait until he climbs to his feet, before offering to let him spit the gum out, like everyone else just did. Then, after class, he and I will have a quick talk about poking the bear.

AFinch

Sherrif
I like Jack's solution.

Padraig

Trailboss
Me too.

ivor

Marshall
I like Jack's solution also.

There is though a need to ensure the other kids don't come to think Jimmy is getting away with things simply because he is your son.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Pi Beta

Deputy
Where does it say Jimmy is my son?

If he were, I'd have gone over the rules with him at home as well as now in school and I'd paroably now call him forward and use his backside to demonstrate what the others can exvpect from tomorrow..

If he's not my son, I'll not take action now but will promise him I'll keep his two for this in reserve if I ever find him chewing gum in school again!

ivor

Marshall
Pi Beta wrote:Where does it say Jimmy is my son?

If he were, I'd have gone over the rules with him at home as well as now in school and I'd paroably now call him forward and use his backside to demonstrate what the others can exvpect from tomorrow..

If he's not my son, I'll not take action now but will promise him I'll keep his two for this in reserve if I ever find him chewing gum in school again!

Sorry - it doesn't Embarassed Bit of wishful thinking on my part Smile

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm going to be a bit tougher on Jimmy than previous posters. He's being deliberately provocative, and I'll have less trouble with him for the rest of the year if I nip this in the bud. Later on, after I've established my authority, I can afford to treat similar situations with a bit more humor and leniency. Today, however, is the first day of school and Jimmy is testing me.

"That is what I said, Jimmy, but I also just warned anyone who was chewing gum to spit it out. In your experience, does such a warning translate into an invitation for you to chew your gum without penalty for the rest of the period?

"I'll give you a choice, though: you can either 'volunteer' to step outside and take two swats from me right now, or I can waste part of my planning period phoning your parents."

The only way I would relent would be if I hear a serious apology.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
Kat wrote:I'm going to be a bit tougher on Jimmy than previous posters. He's being deliberately provocative, and I'll have less trouble with him for the rest of the year if I nip this in the bud. Later on, after I've established my authority, I can afford to treat similar situations with a bit more humor and leniency. Today, however, is the first day of school and Jimmy is testing me.

"That is what I said, Jimmy, but I also just warned anyone who was chewing gum to spit it out. In your experience, does such a warning translate into an invitation for you to chew your gum without penalty for the rest of the period?

"I'll give you a choice, though: you can either 'volunteer' to step outside and take two swats from me right now, or I can waste part of my planning period phoning your parents."

The only way I would relent would be if I hear a serious apology.

Kat

Jimmy's going to wish you'd just chewed him out - especially if he's wearing those shorts!

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
ivor wrote:Jimmy's going to wish you'd just chewed him out - especially if he's wearing those shorts!

Laughing I hope for his sake he's wearing some pretty tough jeans -- or that he's a good apologizer.

Kat

John Boy

Sherrif
Jack always has the best Answer.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

squarecutter

Sherrif
Ok I can take a joke but I will say that as nobody had permission to put gum in their mouth and will tell Jimmy to spit his gum into the bin along with the other wads. I will then suggest to the class that it would do nobody any good to have their card marked on the first day.

Zac

Wrangler
Does the literal interpretation of your my words preclude you me from punishing Jimmy?

Yes....well, actually it doesn't preclude me punishing Jimmy, just using corporal punishment, not that that would bother some teachers, who might react like this:

"Take it out, then get into the hall and while I get the paddle. You're gonna get an extra swat for being impertinent as well as two for chewing gum."

...or perhaps with some reference to my earlier words:

"Yes, but I didn't think anyone would be so stupid as to think of chewing gum until tomorrow. Obviously I was wrong. So, spit it out, and then wait outside for the paddle."

Of course Jimmy is testing me. How far can he push it? How much can he get away with? Can I take a joke? Can he flout my authority with impunity? And also, am I going to to ignore my own rules whenever it suits me? I want to avoid doing the latter but still establish my authority.

Here is one response that is still possible and in keeping with my earlier words:

"That's right Jimmy. Starting tomorrow that would get your butt busted, today you only get a detention. Just as bad a way to start school."

Though, as I would rather not punish, corporally (should that be 'corporeally'?) or otherwise, or the first day, especially not the first hour as it would be a rather sour start to the student-teacher relationship - something which also would not bother some teachers - I would add the let-out:

"...Unless you spit it out right now and keep your mouth gum-free for the rest of the day."

However, I would favour a response that makes corporal punishment available even on the first day.

"That's right Jimmy. Today your get the chance to spit it out instead rather get paddled. So, dispose of it properly right now."

It is when that has been done and everyone is back in the places would come the sting:

"Well, Jimmy, you have managed use a whole day's grace in just a few minutes. As far as gum is concerned for you tomorrow starts now."

Joke's over. If Jimmy tries that trick again, or gets caught chewing gum today he will get be his butt busted. Finally, at the end of  the session I would add something like this:

"Oh, Jimmy? Great joke with the chewing gum earlier on but be careful, not all the teachers have as good as sense of humour as I do."

I suspect that however I respond, even if I let him get away with it completely, especially I let him completely get away with it, there is a fair chance that Jimmy will be joining (or renewing his membership of) either or both of the "detention on the first day" or "spanked on the first day" clubs.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum