a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 9/4/16 "BFTP - 1975 - In The Bank, USA Version" A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Blast from the Past – 1975 – In the Bank, USA
A Kat Production

You’re the vice principal of Truman High School. Today is a bit unusual for you, as one of your teachers had an emergency and had to leave before his last class. Rather than trying to round up a substitute or ask another teacher to cover, you decide to cover the class yourself.

The class has a reputation for unruliness, as it has a disproportionate number of 15-year-old boys in it. Nevertheless, your reputation for swinging a mean paddle keeps them in check. Near the end of class, as you’re walking around checking on the work they’re doing, you notice that one of them, “Rowdy”, is busily carving an obscenity onto his desktop.

You tell him to step out into the hall, but he protests that he has 10 licks on account, as he supplied Mr. White’s paddle. The other kids support Rowdy’s story, and he even begs you to wait and check with Mr. White.

Rowdy - 15
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Will you honor Rowdy’s credit with his teacher, or do you consider that arrangement non-binding on you? If you consider yourself free to paddle Rowdy, how many licks should he expect?

David M. Katz

Marshall
For this- vandalizing school property? He gets the max.  I assume, given the date, that my max is probably 4 - 6.

Or, "Sure, Rowdy, You've earned fourteen licks so use your ten on credit and go to the hall and bend over for four."  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

Rowdy is glad this is not 2016 because he wouldn't have to worry about licks as he would be expelled for zero tolerance as I am sure he is using his pocket knife to carve with and we all know that weapons of any kind fall under zero tolerance.

AFinch

Sherrif
K Club

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
David M. Katz wrote:
Rowdy is glad this is not 2016 because he wouldn't have to worry about licks as he would be expelled for zero tolerance as I am sure he is using his pocket knife to carve with and we all know that weapons of any kind fall under zero tolerance.

I'm going to say he's using the point of his compass, which is a required part of his school supplies, rather than a knife.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
"Sorry, Rowdy but the buck stops here and my paddle is going to stop at your butt 5 times. Whatever arrangement you may have with Mr White doesn't apply to me. Here, or in the hall son?"

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
This is willful destruction of property, and I'd be much more inclined to call (and bill) his parents and allow his Dad to handle any corporal punishment. Just for added measure, I'll let Mr. White know that Rowdy has three less on his account now.

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:
David M. Katz wrote:

I'm going to say he's using the point of his compass, which is a required part of his school supplies, rather than a knife.

Kat

I carried a pocket knife to school from 1976 to 1983. I only had to have a compass in 79-80, as far as I recall.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:I'm going to say he's using the point of his compass, which is a required part of his school supplies, rather than a knife.

Kat

I carried a pocket knife to school from 1976 to 1983.  I only had to have a compass in 79-80, as far as I recall.

Interesting. Many of us carried pocket knives but they absolutely were not allowed. Times were different, though, and if someone had been caught, it wouldn't have been the big deal it is now -- probably would have just had it confiscated or maybe been told to leave it at home. I recall having a compass in grade school. In any case, the point of the clarification about using a compass was to take a knife issue out of the equation.

Kat

Pi Beta

Deputy
I probably carried a compass and dividers around with me in school from about the age of 8 until I passed Maths "O" level at age 15.

As far as a knife is concerned, I was in the school scout group and a knife was part of the uniform so would certainly have had my long bladed sheath knife with a deer's foot handle with me at least once a week and probably had my pocket knife with me on other days. It was far better for sharpening pencils than a pencil sharpener.

Oh, and in answer to the original question, his banked swats are between him and his normal teacher and nothing whatsoever to do with me, so six swats and a detention during which he will sand down the damaged desk top.

Jack

Admin
Kat wrote:
Jack wrote:
Kat wrote:I'm going to say he's using the point of his compass, which is a required part of his school supplies, rather than a knife.

Kat

I carried a pocket knife to school from 1976 to 1983.  I only had to have a compass in 79-80, as far as I recall.

Interesting. Many of us carried pocket knives but they absolutely were not allowed. Times were different, though, and if someone had been caught, it wouldn't have been the big deal it is now -- probably would have just had it confiscated or maybe been told to leave it at home. I recall having a compass in grade school. In any case, the point of the clarification about using a compass was to take a knife issue out of the equation.

Kat

If we had any rules against them, it's not something I remember. Then again, removing it from the question is not a bad idea.

We may have had compasses at other times. I just only remember having one in my geometry class.... though my sixth grade maths probably used one now that I think about it a bit.

It's like the t-shirt says: I'll do algebra and even calculus, but I draw the line at graphing.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Was that the norm for carving a teachers paddle. presumably to further his woodworking skills? Im going to say it seems uncommonly generous and that while I'm happy it might be ok for a tardy or two it doesn't work for the defacement of school property. 3 licks young man and count yourself lucky its not more. I will also ban staff from offering such carte blanche so cheaply. I wonder if the paddle in question is available so I can test its efficacy

David M. Katz

Marshall
squarecutter wrote: I wonder if the paddle in question is available so I can test its efficacy

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Square, I only have knowledge, from my time at school, of a student making a paddle for a teacher. A paddle was an optional wood shop project for eight grade shop students although most opted for a bird house or cutting board. Our science teacher needed a new paddle as his was full of signatures and needed to be retired. One of the shop students asked if he could make the paddle as his project. The teacher purchased the paddle from the student and complimented the fine work. I think the price was $20 which was excellent in 1978. The student asked if he could be the first to sign the new paddle and he was told that one could only sign if the paddle was used on him. The story (student's account) was that he agreed to one swat which was very light and playful.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
squarecutter wrote:Was that the norm for carving a teachers paddle. presumably to further his woodworking skills?

I know of three instances when teachers asked for someone in one of their classes to bring a new paddle. In two of the three, the teacher offered some sort of credit similar to what the scenario describes. In the third, I gather the kid just brought one to win goodwill.

I suppose most teachers made their own paddles. The sort of school paddle they used wasn't something you could buy in a store. The "novelty paddles" of that time were generally far too light for the sort of swats that teachers and principals dealt out in middle and high school. Certainly by the time I was teaching, none of the educational supplies stores stocked anything of the sort. I suppose some college bookstores might have carried fraternity/sorority paddles.

I've heard of school districts where the wood shop classes produce(d) paddles. This wasn't the case where I went to school. The paddles I saw varied widely in size, style, material and craftsmanship. The school district apparently had no policy that standardized them; nor did it provide them to the staff.

I imagine that the teachers who asked for a student to provide a paddle either lacked the time, inclination, skills or tools to make their own -- not that a lot of skill or special tools are needed.

Kat

Jack

Admin
When I was teaching, you could find some good, sturdy, school type paddles in Christian Book Stores, though you usually had to check several to find them. When I was in school, it was pretty catch as catch can, like you describe. I do know we had a wood shop where I attended, and I heard a few boys talk about making paddles.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum