You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 9/26/16 "Greg's Issue" A Jack Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 9/26/16 "Greg's Issue" A Jack Production on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:51 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Greg's Issue
A Jack Production

Greg is the newest member of your family.  He spent 3, 178 days in foster care, before turning 18.  Twice he was nearly adopted, but both times, issues beyond his control stopped it and moved him elsewhere.  His last foster family was interested in adopting, but they wanted an older child.  He stayed with them to finish college, and talks to them occasionally, but has tried to move on so they can handle the younger children.

You met him when he came home with one of your foster children.  After spending the summer helping out and hanging out, your family invited him to join.  He accepted.  He's mostly a good fit with your family - he likes your (other) kids, and they all seem to like him.

Greg is back at school now.  He called you quite a bit at first, but now he's a bit more comfortable (and busier with school), but he still calls once or twice a week, and is looking forward to his first 'family Thanksgiving.'

Greg at 19, just before heading back for college
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Today, Greg called you and sounded pretty worried.  You recognized the tone, because he was constantly worried about taking advantage of you, when you first met him, and even later.

He explains to you that he just got a speeding ticket for going 66 in a 55, and it's going to run about $200.  He has some money of his own, that he earned over the summer, but the two of you decided to put most of that into savings, to hold for school expenses.  You give him money for one tank of gas each week and a fifty dollar allowance for fun and general expenses, as well as paying his car insurance.  He tells you that he's been saving a bit back, so he and some friends can go to some haunted houses next month, but that's only sixty dollars, and he has to pay the ticket within twelve days.  Before you can say anything, he also points out that a friend of his, who got a ticket last year, says his insurance is probably going to go up as well.

"I'm really sorry.  Do I gotta get paddled when I come home?"

AFinch

Sherrif
It kind of sounds like he wants to be, to prove, somehow, that he's really part of a family. He's 19, so he doesn't "gotta be", but if he feels he needs/deserves it, I'll oblige.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Poor Greg. I can't know for certain, but I'd bet he wasn't the only one going that fast.

I'll go along with Kier's solution.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
It does appear that the K Klub is united.

ivor

Marshall
I put a different interpretation on him saying 'Do I gotta get paddled when I get home?"

That to me doesn't sound at all as if he is asking to be paddled but rather that he is hoping very much that he won't be.

There is nothing in the scenario to indicate that he has been paddled since joining the family so he must indeed be a young man who stays out of trouble to avoid that!

I dare say though that if you have to lend him the money to pay the ticket a paddling is going to be part of the 'interest' charged.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:There is nothing in the scenario to indicate that he has been paddled since joining the family so he must indeed be a young man who stays out of trouble to avoid that!

There was supposed to be something in the scenario to mention that, as a person who spent most of his life in foster care, Greg has only ever received one school paddling (which was actually a previous BOTD).

db105

Trailboss
Since he is legally an adult he's not getting paddled unless he gives his consent. He is kind of old for CP, but in this context getting it might be a sign of acceptance in the family, as well as a wake up call. Some boys in the family might still be subject to CP at that age, under those circumstances.

I would ask him "Do you think you deserve one?" and go from there.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think Db has it though i think I might pay his fine for him cut his petrol allowance in half till the debt is paid. It might cramp his style a litle.if all his Gas has to go on essential journeys leaving less for social stuff

Jack

Admin
squarecutter wrote:I think Db has it though i think I might pay his fine for him cut his petrol allowance in half till the debt is paid. It might cramp his style a litle.if all his Gas has to go on essential journeys leaving less for social stuff

An interesting idea, though I went at it from the other side.

The first thing I did was to assure Greg that I wouldn't paddle anyone (even a 16-year old) for this situation - not for a first timer, and not without special circumstances (a school zone, for instance).

We talked about him taking the money out of his savings, but that's supposed to be either savings or emergency stuff. I was having to guide him with leading questions from time to time, but we decided it would be most fair for the money to come out of his allowance. We decided on lowering his allowance $10 a week until Thanksgiving. At that point, he can do some work around the stores to earn enough to pay off the rest (he'll work the night crew to do all the Christmas decorating on the night of Thanksgiving). He will also have to pay a penalty for 'borrowing' against his allowance, which I'll probably just set at one additional week's reduction.

Because he's using my house as his permanent address for some stuff now, and because he's on my insurance, there may not be an increase. We'll have to wait and see. If there is, we'll probably reduce his allowance to pay for it, though I won't hold it on there forever, but long enough to make a point about being careful and also about budgeting.

Now, if he gets another ticket before this one is paid off, THEN we might talk about the paddle.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum