Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 9/30/16 "Under Construction - The Rest of the Story" A Zac Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
For a better understanding of this scenario please reference this previously posted BOTD:

http://bransomtx.forumotion.net/t7681-8-26-16-under-construction-a-dmk-production

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - THE REST OF THE STORY
A Zac Production

Your thirteen year old son, Tyler, and his two best friends, the Swanson brothers, were caught going into a construction site at their school.  Your son and the Swanson boys are all good kids and have never been in trouble at school before.  Their curiosity got the best of them despite the many warnings and notices to keep away from the site.

ADAM SWANSON - 12, TYLER JONES - 13, & AARON SWANSON - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The principal has called you.  You were called because you have not signed the waiver granting permission for Tyler to receive CP. You are not opposed to corporal punishment as you do spank Tyler when it is needed. You never signed the waiver because you simply prefer to handle Tyler's discipline yourself, and anyway, he is a good kid and you never really expected that he would be in trouble at school.

The principal wants to give all three boys the same punishment. While he does not wish to be excessive, given the boys previous good record, but the boys do not realize the gravity of this matter ("not a big deal" in their parlance) because no one was hurt and no damage done so he feels he cannot be too lenient as he needs to impress the seriousness of what they have done on the boys as well as the the rest of school.

The principal is proposing two swats with the paddle (four is the maximum allowed).  If you do not wish to sign an open-ended waiver for enduring permission for Tyler to receive CP, which the Swanson parents did for both their sons when they started at the school, the principal says there is the option of a one-time waiver allowing permission to give Tyler the two swats for this time only. If you agree then all of the boys will be punished and the matter will be closed. Tyler will bring home a form for you to sign if you agree to CP.

The principal adds that he is aware the some parents prefer to handle discipline, including corporal punishment, at home but feels a school punishment, even if it is less severe, will make more of an impression on the rest of the school especially when there is more than one miscreant as well as ensuring equal treatment.

If you do not agree to the two swats then Tyler and the Swanson brothers will serve two additional detentions.

In your previous dealings with the principal he has always come across as a reasonable individual (not like some the ass...teriod-holes you remember from your schooldays) with a reputation for being firm but fair.

What do you do?

David M. Katz

Marshall
I will give permisson for this time only.

Woe to Tyler if there is a next time.

AFinch

Sherrif
K Club

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
K Club also.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
Joining in the "k" club also

Hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
I'll sign the one time waiver too. Just hope that Tyler doesn't take his licks like a dying swan song.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kai

Deputy
K5

Jack

Admin
Two swats does not seem serious to me at all. At least when I was in school, that was the consequence for just run of the mill bad behavior.

I'm signing the waiver in this case, but I will also suggest to the Swanson father that we have a talk with the three boys to stress how serious this really was.

And if they're curious about construction in general, maybe we can later find someplace where they can learn a bit in what's involved, and WHY it's a safety violation to enter the work site.

John Boy

Sherrif
K KLUB

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

Adric

Kid
Quick newbie question - What is the K Club?

(I'm sure it is not that luxury 5 star golf resort in Ireland.)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

AFinch

Sherrif
David Katz, Kier, and Kat--are usually agreed--often enough that we have become known as the "K Club". Not quite a 5 star luxury resort.

ivor

Marshall
AFinch wrote:David Katz, Kier, and Kat--are usually agreed--often enough that we have become known as the "K Club".  Not quite a 5 star luxury resort.

But they might occasionally resort to 5 licks Laughing

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

David M. Katz

Marshall
ivor wrote:
AFinch wrote:David Katz, Kier, and Kat--are usually agreed--often enough that we have become known as the "K Club".  Not quite a 5 star luxury resort.

But they might occasionally resort to 5 licks Laughing

Razz Razz

Adric

Kid
I would sign the
... open-ended waiver for enduring permission for Tyler to receive CP, which the Swanson parents did for both their sons when they started at the school ...

I am guessing that the usual situation is that parents would have signed the open-ended waiver and that withholding permission for CP is the exception.  (That is the way it was when I was at school.  In fact, I don't remember that there was any such thing as a CP waiver.)  If that is the case and I withhold permission for CP then Tyler might suffer the social consequences of being "exceptional", and those could be a lot worse than a couple of licks.  I feel sure that the most important thing to Tyler is "what are my friends going to think?"  Will they think he is handicapped in some way so that it would be cruel to administer CP?  Or even worse, might they think his parents believe he is too sensitive and delicate for that kind of treatment?  If I tell Tyler that I am going to approve his punishment at school and he says something like "Oh, okay" then that makes me think he would rather get the two licks than the alternative punishment.
Jack wrote:Two swats does not seem serious to me at all.  At least when I was in school, that was the consequence for just run of the mill bad behavior.
That is the way I remember it - two licks was common and very survivable.  If I had reason to believe that the principal was going to beat the hell out of Tyler then my answer would be different.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I will sign a onetime waiver.I guess my poor boy has to learn

Adric

Kid
Here's a related quote from an MMSA story, "Davey Shares - Reacting to a Spanking"
http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=23744

"My mother was now totally opposed to me being spanked. She would not do it nor would she allow anyone else to do it. She even refused to sign the CP waiver at school. That was horrible. Being taken to the hall and getting three sharp swats with the paddle was a rite of passage for all the guys at my Junior High School. We all cheered for the guy when the day came that he lost his paddle virginity."

Is it possible that Tyler might feel the same way?  It would be good to know.

Zac

Wrangler
AFinch wrote:David Katz, Kier, and Kat--are usually agreed--often enough that we have become known as the "K Club".
I was wondering about the K Club myself, or rather which K is referred to. It did not occur to me that it was all of them.

Jack wrote:Two swats does not seem serious to me at all.  At least when I was in school, that was the consequence for just run of the mill bad behavior.
I was very much wavering between two or three licks when I wrote this. Depending on the general level of paddling at the school two might be a typical number for an offence of this level but my inclination was that this is really a three swat offence. I settled on two partly as the modicum of leniency I could allow Tyler and Swansons taking into account their previous good record and the non-destructive nature of their construction site expedition but mostly in considering three relative the maximum of four. Had the upper limit been any higher it would have been three strokes.

Jack wrote:I'm signing the waiver in this case,
For this time only or the enduring waiver?

As this was my first BOTD - and I would like to thank DMK for suggesting it and making it possible - there were a number of ideas I did not include as I was afraid of making it too long. As it is there is not much difference between the one-off and enduring waiver for the this instance but something I left out was the idea that if an enduring waiver is signed it will allow the principal to suspend some of the strokes.

Of course the principal hopes this incident is just a blip and that it will never be necessary to check Tyler's file for a waiver again.
Jack wrote:but I will also suggest to the Swanson father that we have a talk with the three boys to stress how serious this really was.

And if they're curious about construction in general, maybe we can later find someplace where they can learn a bit in what's involved, and WHY it's a safety violation to enter the work site.
Would a meeting of the parents might be something for Tyler, Adam and Aaron to worry about?

Something else I mentioned in my original response to Under Construction but did left out here was the boys would serve a detention, in additional to the paddling or any paddling alternative, which would involve them being made aware of exactly why and how construction sites are so dangerous. While their punishment is intended to make an example of them (a phrase the principal was careful to avoid using with Tyler's parents) it is just as important that it makes the boys understand just how serious their offence was and why it is so big a deal.

I think the underlying question in the scenario is whether the principal made a good enough case for using corporal punishment on Tyler at school, and whether Tyler's parent (probably father) thinks he can trust the principal enough, or thinks in appropriate, to sign the enduring waiver. (If the answer is "yes", would it convince a parent generally not in favour of corporal punishment? I slightly slanted things with the parent's attitude to CP here) If not, why not?

Adric wrote:I would sign the
... open-ended waiver for enduring permission for Tyler to receive CP, .... ....

... If that is the case and I withhold permission for CP then Tyler might suffer the social consequences of being "exceptional", and those could be a lot worse than a couple of licks.  I feel sure that the most important thing to Tyler is "what are my friends going to think?"
As the boys have generally been well behaved, or at least kept out of trouble, this will have been the first time it has been necessary to see if any of the boys had CP waivers on file. This might be the first that Tyler knows that there is no permission for CP for him, or that the Swanson brothers find out that their parents did give permission.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Adric wrote:Here's a related quote from an MMSA story, "Davey Shares - Reacting to a Spanking"
http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=23744

"My mother was now totally opposed to me being spanked. She would not do it nor would she allow anyone else to do it. She even refused to sign the CP waiver at school. That was horrible. Being taken to the hall and getting three sharp swats with the paddle was a rite of passage for all the guys at my Junior High School. We all cheered for the guy when the day came that he lost his paddle virginity."

Is it possible that Tyler might feel the same way?  It would be good to know.

That same author has two other stories with a similar theme:

"Abner the Angel" http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=27936

The relevant excerpt:

As I read about the higher points of Chester Arthur's presidency to my class, my mind wandered to that stupid nickname and to the report from the substitute. Before the substitute had written about Dylan being the “most ill-behaved student in all of her forty years of teaching,” she had written about me. It would have been fine for her to write about me to Coach, but the problem was he read it – out loud, to the class. Not only did he read it, he pointed out that everyone, especially Dylan West, should strive to be like me. Why he did that to me, I will never know. I actually thought the guy liked me. What did she write? “I found Abner English to be an absolute joy. He is one of the sweetest and most angelic students I have ever encountered. I could not have made it through the class period without his support and assistance.” Jeeze. Lady, all I did was show you how to read the seating chart and tell you where the teachers' lounge was at. I really did not know who was more humiliated that morning – Dylan or me.

You see, I don't get in trouble. I have been in school for nine years and have never been in trouble at school. I don't count that time in first grade when I got silent lunch – the whole class got punished that day and I truly was innocent. Oh well, sometimes you take one for the team. I really enjoy school and there is a part of me that enjoys pleasing my teachers. I see no point in not following the few basic rules they have for us at school. I think most kids feel basically the same way as I do, but it seems all of them have had a moment or two. You know that moment where you talk a little too long or you hang too long at the water fountain and try to slip in class after the bell rings? The problem is, I have never had my moment, much less my two. That is how I got my reputation and nickname – The Angel. Here I am, in my last year of middle school, and I have never been paddled.

It is a fine line. I think it is some kind of kid rule or law or something that you've got to get paddled at least once before leaving middle school. It builds your standing among the other kids. It makes you accepted and one of them. Sure, Dylan West got his butt busted and half the school heard it, but in reality, he is now a hero. The tales of Dylan's paddling are already being spun and woven throughout the school. Oh yeah, there is something else being spun and woven, and that is that Abner English is sweet and angelic.

You got to balance it. One paddling and never more than two is all you need to establish your credibility. If you end up being a “frequent flyer”, then you are a troublemaker or a thug. You don't want that label either.

AND

"Henshaw #5" http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=25295

The relevant excerpt:
There is a stigma worse than death among middle school boys and that is the dreaded label of "Goody-goody," "Goody two-shoes," "Good Kid," or "Saint (Insert Name Here.)" It is a fine line. The boy must be just bad or mischievous enough to avoid the title but must never cross the line into "Thug" or "Trouble-maker." Most boys are able to find the balance but not poor Aaron Henshaw, or "Saint Hen" as he was known to his classmates.

By the seventh grade most boys had made a visit to the hallway or to the principal for a session of swift and stinging correction on their backsides but not twelve-year-old Aaron. None of the boys were particularly bad kids; they had just allowed their boyishness to wander out of control on an occasion or two and they had earned their rite of passage into the Red Rear Club. Saint Hen just never had been able to get in trouble. There was that one time when he "tripped" in the school lunchroom and tossed milk and applesauce all over his teacher, Mrs. Pester. Sadly for Saint Hen, the incident was determined to be just an unfortunate accident, as the floors had just been freshly waxed. Aaron was given a pass, an apology, and a fresh tray while Mrs. Pester cleaned herself in the faculty restroom. The "accident" did make for a few minutes of entertainment but did not earn Aaron his passage to the Red Rear Club; in fact, it was that day that he earned the unfortunate name of Saint Hen.

-------------------------------

When I was in Junior High (Middle School) this was absolutely the feeling and attitude. Maybe it had to do with the fact that we were in the South or maybe it was universal among schools that practiced CP. However, I was one of the kids "on the list" and it has truly affected me to this day.

-------------------------------

Thanks to Adric for dredging up that old dinosaur. It isn't one of my best but it does prove his point well. And thanks to you all for allowing me some blatant self-promotion.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum