You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10/02/16 "The Ringer" A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BOTD 10/02/16 "The Ringer" A Kat Production on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:17 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
The Ringer
A Kat Production

You coach 7th grade athletics and teach Texas History at a small town middle school. You are new to town and don’t know most of the students, particularly the 8th grade, with whom you have no classroom or gym contact. You took the job with the agreement that you would fulfill another duty: as the principal is elderly and he has no vice principal, he asks you to administer the swats to any boys assigned corporal punishment. Any boy to whom the principal gives a chit must report to you to receive his punishment. Afterwards, you sign the chit and the boy must turn it in to the principal as proof he took his medicine. Boys have the option of reporting to you either before school, after school or during the lunch recess, but they must return the signed chit by the end of school the following day.

Today you paddled Joseph Watts, an 8th grader, before school. Right before lunch, you’re surprised when you hear another kid in the hallway call the boy you paddled ‘Griff’, so you call Griff/Joseph over and ask for an explanation. He hems and haws a bit, but it turns out the real Joseph paid him to take three swats. Joseph now inserts himself into the conversation and suggests you just paddle him now instead of taking both of them to the principal.

Joseph Watts and his best friend Greg "Griff" Griffin - 8th Grade
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is that good enough?

Pi Beta

Deputy
The three of us will go to see the Principal where I will "suggest" in such a way that the principal will agree that Joseph should get the three he should have had and that the pair of them should receive an additional three for 'conspiracy'. Griff can keep the money, however, as consolation.

(I have to be consistent with one of my Trevallion stories that involved impersonation!))

squarecutter

Sherrif
Pi Beta wrote:The three of us will go to see the Principal where I will "suggest" in such a way that the principal will agree that Joseph should get the three he should have had and that the pair of them should receive an additional three for 'conspiracy'. Griff can keep the money, however, as consolation.

(I have to be consistent with one of my Trevallion stories that involved impersonation!))

I am inclined to agree though I'm not Principals int the US ever go as far as 6, I certainly think the deception was likely to be the greater offence.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
squarecutter wrote:I am inclined to agree though I'm not Principals int the US ever go as far as 6, I certainly think the deception was likely to be the greater offence.

There is no universal rule about the number of swats. I know in the past that ten wasn't uncommon, but when I went to school in the early 80s, I never heard of anyone getting more than four (though it could have happened without my hearing of it). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some districts, particularly rural ones, permitted more than five.

Of course, limits are typically on how many swats can be given in a day. Kids can always come back for the second dose the next day. Twisted Evil

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm also inclined to agree with Pi.

Back in prehistoric times when I was in middle school (junior high in those days), six was the max allowed, and it wasn't that uncommon for all six to be administered.

ivor

Marshall
I'll align with Pi. If there is a 'maximum in a day rule' that could be breached then they'll each get three today and can look forward to receiving the other three tomorrow.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Griff already got swats, so I'm not sure why he'd be getting more. On the other hand, he did volunteer for the first three.

Joseph is getting the three he already had coming. Trying to be honest - I think that would be it. I understand wanting to discourage this behavior, and I suppose I should be irritated at them trying to play me, but I'm just not.

As to whether I made the final decision or not - it would just depend on the rules. If this is like when I used to teach, when teacher's had a lot of latitude in assigning punishment, and the principal only dealt with serious matters, I'd probably drop it there.

Zac

Wrangler
Obviously the real Joseph gets the three swats he got out of in the first place, and I may deliver them with slightly more than usual vigour. Griff gets to keep the money so no refund for Joseph.

Do I leave it there or do I decide that boys need to be further punished for this stunt and deception? They did play me but, then again, they have both been paddled. It probably depends on my mood and am in a good mood and sufficiently amused I will let it go this time.

Oh, but I can't let it slide can I? There are those wretched chits to consider so there is the paper trail to consider. I am going to have to take this to the principal. I suspect there is no rule that specifically covers this situation as I doubt whoever wrote them considered the possibility of someone taking corporal punishment for someone but on the other hand there is probably a captain's coach's cloak of a rule to deal with non-specific situations like that. This might mean more corporal punishment for the duo, maybe up to the same again for each of them, or a detention if the principal does not decide to drop it.

The Captians Cloak:

Article Thirty-Six of the Articles of War in the Royal Navy from 1652 with revisions in 1661, 1749, 1757 and 1866. It mentioned in the works of C.S.Forester, Duddley Pope and Patrick O'Brian amongst others.

All other crimes not capital committed by any person or persons in the fleet, which are not mentioned in this act, or for which no punishment is hereby directed to be inflicted, shall be punished by the laws and customs in such cases used at sea.

Whatever happens I will make sure that I have photo-sheets of all the classes years grades to hand so I can make sure I know exactly who I am paddling the future.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
The real Joseph paid Griff to take his swats and Griff did.  The time for me to worry about whether "Joseph" was really Joseph was when he presented himself for punishment, but I did not check ID.  So I will just let it stand, and of coarse Griff keeps the money he earned! Nor will I say anything to the principal. (I would not want to admit I was so easily conned in any case)

Iconoclast

10 Re: BOTD 10/02/16 "The Ringer" A Kat Production on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Iconoclast wrote:The real Joseph paid Griff to take his swats and Griff did.  The time for me to worry about whether "Joseph" was really Joseph was when he presented himself for punishment, but I did not check ID.  So I will just let it stand, and of coarse Griff keeps the money he earned!  Nor will I say anything to the principal. (I would not want to admit I was so easily conned in any case)

Iconoclast

Well, I'll just say that if the school doesn't already, they should issue student ID badges with photographs, which would certainly solve the "ringer" issue. Such ID is common in large urban districts but might not be a priority in smaller rural districts.

Kat

Zac

Wrangler
Kat wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:...but I did not check ID.  ...  Nor will I say anything to the principal. (I would not want to admit I was so easily conned in any case)

Iconoclast

Well, I'll just say that if the school doesn't already, they should issue student ID badges with photographs, which would certainly solve the "ringer" issue. Such ID is common in large urban districts but might not be a priority in smaller rural districts.

Kat

When it comes down to it this plan worked because generally speaking no one would be expected to turn up for an invitation with the wrong end of a paddle unless they had their own invitation (at least not when they are...er....whatever the normal age of "8th Grade" is)

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Zac wrote:When it comes down to it this plan worked because generally speaking no one would be expected to turn up for an invitation with the wrong end of a paddle unless they had their own invitation (at least not when they are...er....whatever the normal age of "8th Grade" is)

8th graders in the US are typically 13-14 years old.

Kat

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum