a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10-11-2016 Meanwhile ... at the Museum - A Pi Beta Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
MEANWHILE . . . AT THE MUSEUM
A PI Beta Production

You have taken your two teenage sons, Gavin aged 14 and Gethin aged 13, on a camper van holiday on the Island of Mull in Scotland. Though they had been looking forward to this as an opportunity to be away with their father and away from their pesky older and younger sisters who had stayed at home with their mother, since arriving they have done nothing but moan and you have wanted to throttle them. The trouble is that they are addicted to social media and you’ve been stopping off mainly in remote areas with no mobile phone signal, wi-fi availability or possible mains hook-up for the camper van to charge their electronics. You are buying lunch out at country pubs where they can usually connect to wi-fi and where they desperately seek a table close to an electrical point. It proves difficult to shift them afterwards as they moan that they’re “in the middle of something really important”.

GETHIN - 13 & GAVIN - 14
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One afternoon, you go to the main (only) town on the Island, Tobermory. The boys do find the tour of the distillery interesting, though unhappy they are not allowed to sample the product. To compensate, they are almost overwhelmed by the size of the three scoop ice cream you buy them afterwards. A little along the road, seeing that entry is free, you suggest that they have a quick look in the Isle of Mull museum. You are interested to read about the war time anti-submarine warfare training that was based there. While you are reading about that, you hear Gavin and Gethin each encouraging the other to “let me try it on you first,” and “no way; after you!”

You peer round the corner and find that they have been looking at the small display on education and are examining the tawse from the local school that is attached to the display by a long chain but which had a notice inviting its use - “Remind yourself of happy schoolboys and try it on your palm” together with a warning that “it hurts!!!”

In view of or despite the grief they have been causing you, do you protect them from themselves by telling them not to be so silly as to try it because it will hurt, encourage them to try it on each other, volunteer to show them exactly how it was used by applying it full force to their upheld palms or promise to bring them back the following days and use it on them if their attitude hasn’t improved significantly?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to stay out of it. I'm sure they're not going to give more than a couple, and no real harm will be done.

Padraig

Trailboss
Been there, tried it, and it hurts. Very Happy Lead to an very interessting chat with the curator of the museum, who still felt the tawse in his school days.

However, the scenario ist quite real, and I took the photos with an BOTD in mind but couldn't come up with the right idea. Embarassed

Anyway, and to be honest, the Isle of Mull has not that much attractions for younger teens, especially when the weather is, well, scottish. So I try to keep calm, but if they want to try, I will not stop them. Twisted Evil

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I think Kier has this right. Kids have a natural curiosity. I doubt satisfying this particular curiosity will cause any real harm.

I once took a class on a field trip to a factory that recycles plastic bottles. The tour guide presented each child -- these were 11-year-olds -- with a plastic ruler. The rulers had some flex, though they were pretty stiff. On the bus ride back to the school, two of the boys whacked themselves on their legs hard enough to leave angry red marks. I just asked them to have the courtesy to explain to anyone who asked that I didn't do that to them.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
Padraig wrote:
Anyway, and to be honest, the Isle of Mull has not that much attractions for younger teens, especially when the weather is, well, scottish. So I try to keep calm,

Given this information it makes these sound like the reasonable response:

AFinch wrote:I'm going to stay out of it.  I'm sure they're not going to give more than a couple, and no real harm will be done.

Kat wrote:I think Kier has this right. Kids have a natural curiosity. I doubt satisfying this particular curiosity will cause any real harm.

So it appears we have a unified K club.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:
I once took a class on a field trip to a factory that recycles plastic bottles. The tour guide presented each child -- these were 11-year-olds -- with a plastic ruler. The rulers had some flex, though they were pretty stiff. On the bus ride back to the school, two of the boys whacked themselves on their legs hard enough to leave angry red marks. I just asked them to have the courtesy to explain to anyone who asked that I didn't do that to them.

Either the boys were wearing shorts or those were some really durable rulers to leave marks through jeans.

Kat, did you get a ruler? If so what did you do with it? Twisted Evil

ivor

Marshall
In this day and age unless kids are actually into "roaming in the gloaming'" I suspect taking them somewhere they are deprived of access to their social media and mobile phones is going to be a potential disaster as well as being viewed as 'cruel and unusual' punishment rather than a holiday.

If they want to test out the tawse I'll let them get on with it. I don't imagine they'll do it that hard.

------------

[I suspect Kat organised an annul school trip to that factory Smile]

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
David M. Katz wrote:... or those were some really durable rulers to leave marks through jeans.

What I want to know is how he saw the marks THROUGH the jeans!

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
David M. Katz wrote:Either the boys were wearing shorts or those were some really durable rulers to leave marks through jeans.

Kat, did you get a ruler?  If so what did you do with it?  Twisted Evil

They were wearing shorts, of course. Razz

I did get a ruler, which I added to my toy box at home. It's not the most vicious implement I have, but it stings like a bitch and makes welts.

Kat

Jack

Admin
To me, it sounds like the boys haven't been being that horrible. They've been torn away from something very important from them. Now, if they were sulking and throwing fits when we were trying to do stuff, I might feel different, but it sounds like they're trying the tours and stuff, so I'll give them a go on the rest (besides, I need to update my Facebook!).

I'm going to stay back and let the boys try the tawse. When they're through, I'll ask how they felt. When the boys give a good evaluation, I'll suggest asking the curator where we can buy one to take home - maybe in size appropriate for derrieres.

Pi Beta

Deputy
This is a small museum and apart from the tawse, I cannot recall anything in it that was "interactive". Though having a tawse in an education display in Scotland could be expected, making it available to try and encouraging this was a surprise - normally one would have expected it to be displayed in a cabinet.

Yound children this year have been very excited about visiting Tobermory because "More recently, Tobermory has been the setting for the children's programme Balamory. After the initial success of these programmes in Britain, Balamory is now reaching a new audience overseas." Not sure where overseas apart from Australia.

Answering the question, I'd encourage them to try it out on each other and then volunteer to use it in the classical style on them. I'm not sure whether they would agree, but might see it as a challenge. I might have to take a couple of belts in return, however!

I can imagine a couple of older teenagers really having a go with it in competition. While I'm thinking of writing an mmsa story based on that idea, it wouldn't surprise me if Joelstrap beats me to it, since I sent the photograph to him!

Padraig

Trailboss
It's indeed very small, a former baker shop turned into a museum (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mull/mullmuseum), but packed with information. Not really interative, but a lot of things one can actually touch. Only a couple of doors further there is the new Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Centre, that provides more activities for kids and teens.

Anyway, the tawse is indeed free to use. It is an original item from a local school but in any case they have some more should something happen to it. All of them had felt some pupil's skin or trouser fabric. : Twisted Evil

Pi Beta

Deputy
And just round the corner is a leather craftsman's workshop and shop - not sure whether he has any tawse ready made, but presumably if requested...!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum