a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10/15/16 "Authorized Vehicles Only" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY
A DMK Production

Your sixteen year old son, Nathaniel, got his driver's license three months ago.  Nathaniel uses your spare car.  Nathaniel pays his own insurance premiums and puts gas in the car.  (He has a part-time job.) Nathaniel has proven to be a safe and conscientious driver.  

The schools are on fall break this week.  Nathaniel and his best friend leave to go visit Nathaniel's grandmother who lives on the other side of your city.  The boys say they then plan on "just driving around a bit."

Nathaniel and his friend left Nana's apartment and were on the interstate.  The boys passed a salt barn and happened to notice the access gate was opened. (Apparently the salt barn had just received a delivery since the gate was open.) Being curious, Nathaniel turned in to the access road and he and his friend went and "checked out" the salt barn. Finding nothing to interest them the boys decided to leave.  As Nathaniel was about to turn off of the access road he was stopped by a deputy and ticketed for unauthorized use of a restricted roadway.

Nathaniel has come home and tells you about the situation and the ticket.  

NATHANIEL - 16
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
How do you respond?

** A salt barn is a large structure that is open on one end.  The barn is large enough for dump trucks to drive in to the building to dump the loads of salt. It provides a place for the highway departments to store salt needed to treat the roadways during icy conditions that keeps the salt out of direct contact with the elements.  Salt is cheaper during the off season and so most places stock their salt barns during the late summer and fall.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pi Beta

Deputy
Since I think the officer was overbearing in issuing a ticket (unless Nathaniel showed "attitude"), I'm letting the ticket be his punishment though if he needs an advance to pay it off, I'll loan him the money.

Curiosity should earn a warning, not a ticket in my opinion.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Pi Beta wrote:Since I think the officer was overbearing in issuing a ticket (unless Nathaniel showed "attitude"), I'm letting the ticket be his punishment though if he needs an advance to pay it off, I'll loan him the money.

Curiosity should earn a warning, not a ticket in my opinion.

Most of you will probably realize that this is based on a RL incident.  I think Pi brings up a couple of points that I want to address and they will have no spoiler effect on the answers to come later.

1.  Teen drivers here are under a microscope.  The police and the deputies will stop and ticket a teen for the least infraction.  They say it helps keep the teens safe.

2.  The Nathaniel from about a year ago would have given major 'tude.  One of my biggest issues with him was he would stand up against anyone - parents, teachers, school admins, etc.  He felt a constant need to defend himself even if he was in the wrong.  Through maturity and counseling and learning to identify triggers he is not like this at all.  I am very pleased with his progress.  He says and Jentzen confirms that N was mostly quiet with the deputy and when he did answer or speak he was very polite.  

I now return you to your regularly scheduled responses.

Jack

Admin
In this case, I would drive back to the area and explore it. Unless there are clearly posted signs saying it's a private or restricted road, then I'll take pictures and we'll schedule this for court. If there are such postings, I will probably chalk it up to a learning experience for him. I do agree with Pi that this is overbearing. Ticketing young drivers doesn't make them safer (not for something like this, as opposed to dangerous or illegal driving), it just earns more money for the municipality.

kalico

Sherrif
What jack said and pi....

no trouble and if he needs money I'll float it... I want to do what jack says about the signs but I'm kinda feeling if we push this they might try to get him for trespassing???

Hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I agree with Jack and Pi as well. I don't think additional punishment is warranted. At the risk of offending any police officers who might be members, my experience is that officers tend to be overbearing and unreasonable when dealing with teens. I remember a friend when I was 16 whose dad bought him a red porsche. Every time he drove it, he was ticketed. My "favorite" was when he got a ticket on the freeway for driving 66 mph (limit was 65)--in court, the judge agreed that "66 is speeding" and suspended his license for two months. My friend refused to drive the car again and asked his parents to sell it. In a "beater car", the police no longer found him an attractive target.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm also with Pi.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
Pity it wasn't nearer Christmas as then Nathianel could have wished the officer the condiments of the season as he handed him his ticket Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

David M. Katz

Marshall
ivor wrote:Pity it wasn't nearer Christmas as then Nathianel could have wished the officer the condiments of the season as he handed him his ticket Smile

A well-seasoned response, ivor. Razz

David M. Katz

Marshall
This is as it was. There is nothing to really add to this except the response.

This was nothing more than a couple of boys acting on some natural curiosity. I know this area well and do know there is a sign posted that says "Authorized Vehicles Only."

Nathaniel wanted to go to court and defend himself. He said, "There were no signs saying we couldn't be there."

I replied, "Except for the one that says authorized vehicles only. My advice is pay the ticket because if you go to court and lose, and you probably will, then you will have to pay court costs."

"Oh, okay."

The county has a system where one can go online and pay. He used his debit card and has settled the matter. He had the money. ($124.50 USD)

There will be no increase in his already outrageous insurance premiums as this was not considered a moving violation.

I would not have punished for this even if I had found true fault in what the boys were doing - the county already more than sufficiently handled that.

A life lesson learned.

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:I would not have punished for this even if I had found true fault in what the boys were doing - the county already more than sufficiently handled that.

I have to admit that I don't have a firm system in place for handling something like this. If the kid has the money in the bank themselves, then I agree with you. Usually, when I end up loaning money to cover a fine, I add a stipulation about repaying. The only time I can think of that I've given extra punishment for tickets is when there was some other factor involved (from school zone, to non-payment, to repeat offense).

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie is not sure he could resist spanking that cute teenage bottom and all... Embarassed

Stevie...

squarecutter

Sherrif
Were there signs out specifying what vehicles may enter or whether this was private ground. Otherwise could Nathaniel as a new driver have known he was doing anything wrong. Ignorance of the LAW may not nbe a defence but within the family "  I will be taking the "Hit " for this one if Nathaniel didnt know. It might have been nice if the Officer had shown a bit more discretion

Ok now |I have read Dk s answer Nathaniel clearly has to pay the ticket( the local authoritis in H+the UK have similar payment arrangements for civil offences and you have to be pretty stiff necked to take something to court over £60. Punishment is already More than sufficient

Last edited by squarecutter on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : amended on basis of DKs explanation)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum