a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10-19-2016 And Also with You - A Pi Beta Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
AND ALSO WITH YOU
A Pi Beta Production

Your 10 year old son Xavier is an recently appointed acolyte at the local Roman Catholic church and helps serve at the altar. At the end of the service the priest goes to the rear door to speak to the parishioners as they leave, usually getting polite comments on his sermon that aren't necessarily entirely true! On this day, however, he realises that he has left a copy baptismal certificate he'd promised to give to a family before they left and he hurries back to the vestry where he discovers your son and the other acolyte, Dominic aged 12, swigging the unused wine from the cruet rather than returning it to the bottle.

You hear the commotion as the priest bellows at Xavier and Dominic, and hear him telling them he'll be sacking them from the role. Returning to the back of the church, once he's handed over the certificate, he makes straight to you, demanding that you deal with Xavier and that he'll be speaking to Dominic's parents for them to punish him - they weren't at the service and you don't really know them.

Xavier appears in tears from the vestry and pleads not to be sacked from the acolyte role, claiming that Dominic had told him that this was the way they always cleaned up He does admit, however, that he was actually the one taking a swig as the priest burst in. The priest says he'll consider reinstating Xavier once he hears what punishment you have meted out, implying that he expects it to be fairly severe.

DOMINIC - 12 and XAVIER - 10
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back home, Xavier makes it clear that he does still want to be an acolyte but is less keen on the sort of punishment he knows the priest will expect - one that will make sitting down distinctly uncomfortable.

How do you proceed?

AFinch

Sherrif
It sounds from the scenario as if Xavier was set up by Dominic.

If that's the case, and I believe it to be the case, then punishing him, severely or otherwise, is likely not to be productive, and may actually be counterproductive (I used to work with a large number of people who proudly proclaimed they were "lapsed Catholics" for similar reasons). Even if I don't believe it to be the case, I don't think it's for the priest to specify home punishments, or to hear details of them (unless they are so OTT that I have to confess after having meted them out--which isn't ever going to happen with me).

I'll leave the priest to deal with Dominic and/or his parents. As regards Xavier, I'll tell the priest that I'll handle it my own way, and leave it at that. If that's not acceptable, I'll find another parish (and have a word with whoever it up the chain of command from this priest).

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
Once again I'm distressed by the adult's behavior before I can consider that of the kids' behavior.

Returning a small amount of wine to the bottle is definitely not a very sanitary thing to do and is likely to result in contamination and future illness.

I wonder if giving minors open containers of alcoholic drinks is lawful?  I would doubt it.

Finally, from the extreme words in the description, the priest seems somewhat lacking in self control.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

David M. Katz

Marshall
I did have a lot to say but, considering my feelings for organized religion right now, my thoughts are left better staying with me.

Therefore, I will adopt Kier's approach, especially the part about seeking out another Parish.

(I am a recovering Baptist and so I have little knowledge of the RC faith but I agree with Coyote that the priest seems to be a bit OTT.)

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
The priest, thank goodness, is not at all like the parish priest when I was growing up. He seems like a jerk. I suppose it comes down to how much Xavier wants to continue as an altar server. I don't know how much credence to give Xavier's story about Dominic. He must have had training, which should have made all expectations about behavior clear. If not, then whoever did the training (which I assume is Father A-Hole) didn't do a very good job. My inclination is to tell the  priest I think he is overreacting, and furthermore, any punishment I give my son is between Xavier and me.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
When we get home I'll tell Xavier that I accept his version of what happened and that I consider the priest is over reacting. However, if he does wish to continue as an altar boy then some punishment is necessary to satisfy Fr.

I'm sure he will agree with that so I'll then tell him to go to his room and get ready for a spanking. Xavier knows this means pants and briefs off in preparation to going over my knee.

When he's in position there I'll deliver three sharp spanks to his left butt cheek and then say,

"If you want to tell Father you've been properly dealt with you'll be a good Christian boy and turn the other cheek."

Xavier will have a fit of the giggles; I'll deliver the other three spanks while he is doing so and the matter is dealt with.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
I doubt Dominic set up my son, as he had no way of knowing the priest wouldn't be at the doors, greeting, as he normally does. Also, even if Xavier wasn't properly trained, I know he's been trained by me to know when wine is or is not acceptable. However, since this isn't just wine, but the sacrament, I can kind of see Xavier possibly thinking it's an exception.

Likewise, I can understand the priest being upset, since this is two boys desecrating a sacrament, not just sneaking a little wine. That's not to say he didn't still go overboard.

I'm going to have a long talk with Xavier, and he'll have to work hard to convince me he doesn't deserve a hard spanking for his behavior. On the other hand, the priest and I are going to have a long talk about what acceptable behavior is, to keep me from contacting whomever is in charge (the Bishop?) and explaining why I'm moving to another congregation.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:I doubt Dominic set up my son, as he had no way of knowing the priest wouldn't be at the doors, greeting, as he normally does.  Also, even if Xavier wasn't properly trained, I know he's been trained by me to know when wine is or is not acceptable.  However, since this isn't just wine, but the sacrament, I can kind of see Xavier possibly thinking it's an exception.

Likewise, I can understand the priest being upset, since this is two boys desecrating a sacrament, not just sneaking a little wine.  That's not to say he didn't still go overboard.

Jack, the wine in the cruet isn't consecrated. The priest and/or deacon(s) and Eucharistic ministers (if communion is offered in both forms) make sure the blood of Christ under the appearance of wine is consumed on the altar. There is no desecration. Frankly, I'd have difficulty seeing how it would be desecration even if were consecrated.

Kat

Pi Beta

Deputy
Kat wrote:

Jack, the wine in the cruet isn't consecrated. The priest and/or deacon(s) and Eucharistic ministers (if communion is offered in both forms) make sure the blood of Christ under the appearance of wine is consumed on the altar. There is no desecration. Frankly, I'd have difficulty seeing how it would be desecration even if were consecrated.

Kat

You saved me having to make this point. Since communion wine is fortified wine, it has a high alcohol content (akin to port or sherry) and with that level of alcohol is not likely to result in any health problems in being restroed to the bottle. It certainly shouldn't have been anywhere other than between two glass containers.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I will ask the Priest to trust me to do the right thing by my son and tell him that while I understand his anger that to err is human but that mercy is divine. I will be seeking out the other family to get the full story from Dominic an take my cu from there. If my son erred he will receive appropriate punishment and I hope that knowledge will be enough for the Priest to retain Xaviers services

Padraig

Trailboss
Been there, done exactly that. Like almost all other altarboys. Everyone, sacristans or priests, knew. Since it wasn't even a teaspoon full of wine then I doubt it would be more nowadays. No health risk there.

Since then a lot has happened and I'm not longer with the RC church. Nevertheless, if my son is, I will ask the priest (as politely as I can) if he wasn't an altar boy himself and knows what was going on then.

No punishment.

Pi Beta

Deputy
Padraig wrote:Been there, done exactly that. Like almost all other altarboys. Everyone, sacristans or priests, knew.

No surprise there to me! Also guilty, though CofE not RC.

Jack

Admin
Pi Beta wrote:
Kat wrote:

Kat

You saved me having to make this point. Since communion wine is fortified wine, it has a high alcohol content (akin to port or sherry) and with that level of alcohol is not likely to result in any health problems in being restroed to the bottle. It certainly shouldn't have been anywhere other than between two glass containers.

With that in mind, I'd have to say the priest over-reacted quite a bit. I want to sit down with him and find out why, before I take any other steps.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum