Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 10-20-2016 An Outbreak of Almost Bad Language:Foxtrot Oscar - A Kat Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
An Outbreak of Almost Bad Language: Foxtrot Oscar
A Kat Production

Mrs. Wiedermeyer was puzzled by the response of Harlan (age 13) to her harangue about not having his book report completed. Since she didn’t understand the implication of “Foxtrot Oscar”, Lane (also 13) spelled it out for her, literally: “F-U-C-K, O-F-F.” She sent them both to you, as you’re vice principal at Hillcrest Middle School.

Harlan - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lane - 13

Will you smile at this one or should the boys expect either detention or swats?

Zac

Wrangler
Harlan needs to think up an innocuous, inoffensive, meaning for Foxtrot Oscar.

AFinch

Sherrif
Had Harlan explained that it means: "Fight On" and that he's a huge USC football fan, he'd be home free. Having not done so, and having been ratted out by Lane, as VP and disciplinarian, I think both boys are in for swats.

Totally understandable to think it, but you can't get away with saying it out loud, or saying something close when everyone understands what you meant (like puck you instead). Better to learn that now.

David M. Katz

Marshall
First allow me to relate a little incident from RL.  Two years ago a teacher who normally doesn't assign weekend homework decided to do so.  Nathaniel was rather shocked by this assignment and so he stood up and politely asked the teacher WTF - although he didn't say "W-T-F" - he said the whole phrase (I guess that wasn't really polite then.) Now this was a high school and I am sure the teachers had heard (and said ) worse but this particular teacher was a prudish holier-than-thou old bat nice reserved lady. She sent Nathaniel to the office - do not pass go and do not collect $200. The VP had a nice talk with him and then wrote him up on a warning. (Our high school does that - supposedly prepares them for the work world.) He was then sent back to class.  Since he had been formally warned then any future issue would have resulted in some sort of penalty -probably detention. (CP is allowed but the principal is not a fan and the use of CP is very infrequent.) I, of course, had to sign a copy of his "warning."

I sort of liked the approach, especially for this sort of thing.

I think the same approach will work out just fine for Harlan and Lane. (Along with a nice chat about understanding your audience before using profanity or profanity-ish sort of words.)

So, I will write them up, require the parent to sign a copy, and send the boys on their merry way. (They're pubescent 13 year olds - I'll have ample opportunity to swing my paddle in the future.)

squarecutter

Sherrif
At first my reaction to this scenario is WTF is going on.

Why did Lane feel a need to spell it out. I guess it now depends on my tolerance level for students swearing gratuitously at teachers doing their job and unless Harlan, having been decoded by his pal has a good reason for taking his teachers harangue so poorly he is getting swats. Was Lane just trying to be helpful to the teacher or misguidedly, supporting his pal. As I suspect Lane was not deliberately ratting Lane out too but expressing his displeasure at her haranguing Harlan he can have swats as well and may be it will be a lessonin not bringing unncessary trouble on himself. Parental reaction to the notes home tonight might be interesting

ivor

Marshall
I'm with Square in the swats brigade, especially as Lane looks so sweet and innocent that I reckon it unlikely he'll give me another chance.

(As for Nathaniel, all I can say is it just shows how much standards have slipped when something like that can be said directly to a teacher with virtually no consequences. Wonder how he'd fare if he said that to an employer? Suspect it would have been more than just a warning)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I'm going to whack them - Papa Delta!

Jack

Admin
In a way, I like David's idea. On the other hand, I consider this situation to be different. Why? Because this wasn't a curse word used in the presence of a teacher, but a curse directed towards a teacher.

I'm going to chew both boys out, then I'm going to officially paddle them for disrupting class - two swats for Harlan for starting it, and three for Lane, for being specific.

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
I see things differently.

Harlan was disrespectful in class and that has earned him either pops or detention (as is customary in this school).  Also, an assignment to write an apology to her.

Lane answered the teacher's question correctly and precisely and even taking care to avoid foul language.  Not liking the answer is not a valid reason for punishment and he should never have been sent to the office.  Mrs. Wiedermeyer may not like this but she getting a talking to also.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

ivor

Marshall
Y Lee Coyote wrote:I see things differently.

Harlan was disrespectful in class and that has earned him either pops or detention (as is customary in this school).  Also, an assignment to write an apology to her.

Lane answered the teacher's question correctly and precisely and even taking care to avoid foul language.  Not liking the answer is not a valid reason for punishment and he should never have been sent to the office.  Mrs. Wiedermeyer may not like this but she getting a talking to also.

Y.

I don't read that the teacher asked for an explanation. The scenario just says that she was 'puzzled' by what Harlan said which implies a look rather than anything else. If she'd wanted an explanation surely she'd have asked Harlan?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Mrs. W didn't ask Lane to stick his nose into the situation. He volunteered, and I'm betting he wasn't trying to be helpful. He effectively took away Harlan's chance to back out of the situation with an alternative explanation. Both boys can choose: detention or two swats.

Kat

John Boy

Sherrif
Maybe the boys should get a warning, maybe they are FUBAR, SNAFU, SOL, ETC

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=John+Boy

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Both boys need a good, sharp lesson and all:

Stevie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]