a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 11/5/16 "The Preacher's Kid" A John Boy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
THE PREACHER'S KID
A John Boy Production

You are the pastor of a local church.  Your church has a multi-purpose room that is used both as a gymnasium and for services.  To accommodate Sunday services the basketball goals are raised up and then chairs can be brought in.  Converting the multi-purpose room for services is usually handled by you and a few volunteers.

This past week it was necessary to use the MP room as a gym.  It is now Saturday and the room needs to be readied for services.  Your typical volunteers are not available and so it looks like you will be converting the room by yourself. (Not a hard task; it just takes a little longer.) Your thirteen year-old son, Jordan, volunteers to go with you to help.

All is going well.  The chairs are in place and all that really needs to be done is to raise the goals.  Jordan knows how to do this and says he can take care of it.  You leave Jordan to finish up while you go to your office to put some finishing touches on your sermon.  You return a bit later to collect your son. All of the goals are raised except one and this is what you see:

JORDAN - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A few seconds later the rim breaks off of the backboard and the rim and your son fall to the floor. Jordan is not injured but the same cannot be said for the goal.  The problem with this is that it has happened before (not with Jordan but with another young man who was attending a youth function when the room was being used as a gym.) After that incident the church made a policy that no one should hang from the rims.  The policy change was made known and a sign was placed that said "No Hanging On Rims." You also personally told Jordan and his younger brother about the rule.

After making sure Jordan was not injured you ask your son why it is he was hanging from the rim.

He responds, "I dunno.  I just wanted to see if I could do it."

You believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child" and use your rod (a paddle) with your two sons if it is needed.

Will you spare the rod in this case?

kalico

Sherrif
I think my rod will be coming out due to the fact it says I told my sons the rule....so when we get home he'll get paddled....

Hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I think Jordan is lucky he wasn't injured. I'm going to point that out to him, and ask if he now understands why we have this "stupid rule". If he does, we're done. I think that natural consequences are likely to be a better teacher than a rod/paddle in this case.

Pi Beta

Deputy
I need to consider whether his help in putting out the chairs and raising the other basketball nets is sufficient to cancel out this disobedience. On reflection, my decision is that it doesn't, but instead of giving him his age with the paddle, I'll reduce that by half; he knew the rules and they're even posted up!

Jack

Admin
"Did the rim break by accident, Jordan, or because you broke the rules? What do you think we should do about that?"

I'm sure he'll gripe and moan, but, at 13, I'm sure Jordan knows he did wrong and knows he needs to accept the consequences.

Adric

Kid
I would spare the rod in this case.  It looks like a spur of the moment decision, more thoughtless than intentionally disobedient.  And he did fall, so he knows now why the rule is in place.  Lesson learned.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm with Kier and Adric. I also think those rims should be sturdier.

Kat

ivor

Marshall
Hallelujah and Praise the Lord for the fact that my son has not been injured.

However, when we get home we won't be crossing the Jordan but Jordan will be across my knee.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Iconoclast

Trailboss
AFinch wrote:I think Jordan is lucky he wasn't injured.  I'm going to point that out to him, and ask if he now understands why we have this "stupid rule".  If he does, we're done.  I think that natural consequences are likely to be a better teacher than a rod/paddle in this case.

I agree but I will ask Jordan to add 3 words to the signs: "They will break!

Iconoclast"

Y Lee Coyote

Cowboy
It’s a good thing I’m a man of the cloth or I would be suing as well as giving thanks that Jordan is OK.

The equipment installed is obviously defective as there have been previous catastrophic failures.  Unfortunately the lesson was not learnt for the replacement was more defective equipment.  Adding insult to injury a sign was posted to incite unsafe behavior.

There are several models of BREAKAWAY Hoops available which will yield to weight rather than break.  I will insist that they all be replaced by such models.

Perhaps a good opportunity for some quality time of over an ice cream soda with mild hints about being careful.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

squarecutter

Sherrif
Jordan knew the rules and why they existed. If not shaken up or injured then he will get a moderate force paddling when we get home. I suspect he may want to wear his basketball shorts after I've finished with him. I want Jordan to think before he leaps

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum