a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 11/13/16 "The Neighbor's Driveway" A John Boy Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall

THE NEIGHBOR'S DRIVEWAY
A John Boy Production

Your thirteen year-old son, Donald, loves to ride his skateboard as does his friend and your neighbor, thirteen year-old Walt. Your neighbor to your right, Walt's father, has a long paved driveway (your driveway is gravel.) Donald and Walt both like to skate on the neighbor's driveway and your neighbor has given his express permission allowing the boys to use his driveway as it is certainly safer than the street.  The only exception to that permission is if the neighbor has his car in the drive and not in the garage. If the car is out (which is rare) then your neighbor asks that no one skate in his drive. Donald and Walt are both aware of this.

DONALD - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

WALT - 13

Today your neighbor washed his car and left it in his drive to dry.  Donald and Walt want to skate but do see the car is out.  The boys think if they can skate far enough away from the car that it will be OK.  As luck (or bad luck) would have it, Donald loses control of his board and it crashes in to the bumper of your neighbor's car.

THERE IS SOME DAMAGE

Walt knows you spank Donald and knows that Donald "gets it" more often than he does.  Walt tells Donald to just be quiet and that he (Walt) will take the blame.  Walt says, "I'm sure I'll just get a talking to but I'm sure you'll get your ass busted." Donald wants to do the right thing and tells Walt he doesn't feel right doing it that way.  You walk up on the scene because you see the boys with skateboards and know the car is out and you want to remind them to not skate while the car is out.  You ask the boys what is going on and then you notice the damaged car.

Walt starts to speak, "Yeah, it is my bad.  I was trying a new trick and I lost my board."

Donald is looking really uncomfortable and then tells what really happened and why Walt was trying to cover for him.

What do you do?

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
Check my insurances as to whether Donald's actions are covered by my household insurance.

To an extent, Walt must take some responsibility as the "host" boy but it was Donald who caused the damage. I think I need to have a discussioin with Walt's father and come to an agreement on whether and how to punish both boys. I'm proud that Donald isn't prepared to let Walt take the blame and will take this into account when determining his punishment, probably just making sure that he knows that I am distinctly displeased with him and will expect some contribution from his pocket, if not his bottom, towards the cost of the repair/respray since, even if insured, there will be an excess I will have to pay.

AFinch

Sherrif
Nothing to add to Pi's excellent answer.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Count me in with Pi also.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
Might as well keep the consensus going. I can think of no better response. I do think Donald's honesty has spared him a spanking but he will need to contribute towards the reimbursement if only at a token amount.

ivor

Marshall
I'm pleased to see that Donald isn't trying to duck his responsibility for what occurred.

It might just save him from a spanking. In fact he can choose - a spanking or loss of skateboard for a week.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
Well the both disobeyed and we need to accept the damage was accidental. I think it almost immaterial who hit the car. My pride in Donald accepting his responsibility means the only hit will be to his back pocket and a weeks loss of skateboard. I cant speak for Walts father

Jack

Admin
My answer to this is probably influenced by not having to live check to check.

"Guys, do you understand now why this is against the rules?"

They'll both grumble but agree.

Since Walt's dad is obviously home, the three of us will go talk to him. I'm going to explain that the boys thought they could skateboard safely, but they were wrong. I'm going to tell him I'll cover the repairs, and suggest I take Walt home with me, so he and Don can share the consequences. I think letting them both bend over for enough with the bath brush to have them crying, but not harshly will make the correct impression - Walt was involved and was willing to bet his butt on his Dad's reaction, while Don was guilty, but had a chance to get off. I think it's fair for them to share equally, and in response for both of them having a positive (if not perfect) reaction to this, they won't be grounded from their skateboards.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum