a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/2/16 "Lesson Not Learned" A DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
LESSON NOT LEARNED
A DMK Production

Your twelve year-old son, Sean, had a habit of leaving his bike in the driveway.  You would come in late in the day from work and would almost run over Sean's bike.  You would have to get out of the car and move the bike. That kept being a problem after many warnings so you took the bike for a week.  That did not work and so Sean got a spanking.  Three days after that the bike was in the driveway and you did not see it and ran over it.  The car was not damaged but Sean's bike was damaged beyond repair.

You made Sean wait a month before buying him a new bike.  You finally bought a new bike and warned Sean about not leaving the bike in the driveway.  Sean loves his new bike.

SEAN - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That was two days ago.  You come in from work this evening and guess what is in the driveway.

What do you do?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm taking the bike until he can demonstrate that he will care for it. If that day doesn't come, he can learn to walk. Nothing else has worked. Another (harder) spanking is unlikely to work. It may be Draconian, but if the idea is to teach that actions have consequences, this is the logical consequence. And if he doesn't CARE about having a bike, there is no reason to provide one.

Jack

Admin
I can't agree with Kier on this, because, if I take the bike, how's he going to prove to me that he can take care of it (that's based on the idea that this is the only recurring problem he has, since nothing else was mentioned).

I'm going to do two things. First, he's getting spanked pretty thoroughly.

After that, he and I will make a place where the bike is always to be left (a bike rack of his own or something). Each time the bike isn't left there, he'll lose it for one day more than he did last time, possibly with a spanking as well. I'll give him a little input, but I'll also make it sure he's not getting a bike replaced if this one is broke the same way.

18Smacked

Cowboy
Jack wrote:I can't agree with Kier on this, because, if I take the bike, how's he going to prove to me that he can take care of it (that's based on the idea that this is the only recurring problem he has, since nothing else was mentioned).

On this, I do agree with Jack. But on the rest, here is what I will do...

I will start with a discussion with Sean and explain the problem from my perception and convey to him my frank frustration. I will then send him away to his room so that he can develop a plan of what he believes he can and should do with the bike each day he is done riding it.

I will tell him to develop a contract between he and I that he will be able to comply with for the future, and there will, indeed, be "penalty clauses" to account for what will happen every time he fails to put the bike where it belongs. In that regard, I will buy an apparatus that will suspend the bike from the ceiling, up and out of the way of my vehicle.  The contract will include using this Bike Storage Hoist. When the contract is finished, he and I will add our signatures to it, and it will then be enforced.

(In point of fact, I would have had my son write this contract once I bought him a new bike because I had run over his old bike. But, no matter, it will be enforced from this night on.)

I will not spank him as yet, (only because it is a reflection on me that we did not prepare a contract when I got Sean his new bike) but I may well include spanking as a penalty clause stipulation. That might be my input on the contract.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I agree with Kier for the most part. I'll take the bike for two days, after which he'll have the chance to prove he can take care of it. If we have another problem, he'll lose it for a week. If there's a time after that, he loses it for two weeks; and so on until he demonstrates responsibility.

Kat

kalico

Sherrif
Ditto jack

Hugs kal

ivor

Marshall
I'm going to pedal along with Kier and Kat.

Of course Stevie would have bought him as a replacement one of those bikes pre pedal and chain that you propelled by scooting your feet along the ground Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Ivor wrote:Of course Stevie would have bought him as a replacement one of those bikes pre pedal and chain that you propelled by scooting your feet along the ground Smile

Maybe not, but I'd certainly sell that expensive, cool bike and replace it with a cheap, disposable one from Canadian Tire...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That way, if it gets damaged again, I will be less in the hole over it and able to view the event with more equanimity and all...

Stevie.  Twisted Evil

I could also have him read about Joey and how much his bicycle meant to him...

http://www.malespank.net/viewStory.php?id=21906

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I don't enjoy bicycling, especially uphill or against the wind. What if it starts raining? Or I get a puncture and have to walk home?

Anyway, I'm going to whack that boy, Sean.

tbfyb

Cowboy
Times have changed.  My father was in the Air Force, and when I was 10 years old (1958) I was good enough at math that I could go to the base bowling alley and keep score for adult leagues - each bowler gave me a quarter ($2.50 altogether) for keeping score -- and I got a coke whenever the teams had a beer round.  This was a lot of money, e.g. it cost 25 cents for me to go to the base movie theater and another 25 cents would buy a bag of popcorn and a coke.  All of the money went into a cigar box and on Sunday's, when I went to church, the 25 cents I put in the collection plate came from that cigar box - and when I wanted a bike I had to pay for it myself.

I realize that, today, a 12 year old probably can't earn much -- but I also think imaginative parents could think of ways to help a 12 year old earn money.  

That being said, I suspect the boy in this story, Sean, would have more respect for his bike if he had had to pay for it himself.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum