Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site


You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12-14-2016 Chemical Reaction? - An 18 Smacked Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

avatar
Bransom Postmaster
CHEMICAL REACTION?
An 18 Smacked Production

Thinking you children might want to follow in your footsteps, you bought Stan (12) and Larry (11) a deluxe, 185-piece chemistry set for Christmas. They were ecstatic to receive it, but there was one condition you had for using it; you had to be there to supervise what they did with it. They agreed to that, and you promised to not give long and boring explanations of all the great experiments they could do.

There was a power outage at work a few days after Christmas, so everyone was sent home at noon. The kids were still home on their Christmas vacation. You went to their room to see what was happening, and they had opened up the chemistry set and a large number of test tubes and chemicals were laid out on the table. The boys explanation was, “We were only setting up everything for when you would get home. We were not doing any experiments.” You see no evidence they actually were mixing any chemicals, but….  


STAN -12 & LARRY - 11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What is your reaction?


_________________
Can you dig it?
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Skater

Jack

avatar
Admin
Kids this age, you have to be fairly explicit and literal.

There is an argument that 'what they did with it' would include me supervising setting it up. I'm not quit ready to go that far, so I'm going to carefully spell out exactly how and when I expect them to mess with this, and I might decide it needs to be stored elsewhere when not in use.

As spankable as those two look, I think I'll have to wait for another time.


_________________
"In the end, it's just a story. But if you ask me, it's all true."
http://bransomtx.forumotion.net

David M. Katz

avatar
Marshall
Looks like no harm was done. Jack is right and instructions need to be specific and literal with guys this age.

We will talk again as to what I meant and why.

We will then start having some fun.

I agree that maybe I need to keep this in a safe place for the future.


_________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=David+M.+Katz

Adric

avatar
Cowboy
I hate to offer only a "me too" response here, but I do agree with Jack and Dave that these little guys just had an honest misunderstanding.  No spanking for them, but a careful explanation of exactly how to interpret my instructions about adult supervision in the future.

(Shameless plug:  I have written only one Christmas-themed story, and it is about exactly this subject - supervised play with a Chemistry Set and how that can go wrong.  I wrote the original version of it almost 20 years ago.)

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

David M. Katz

avatar
Marshall
Adric wrote:
(Shameless plug:  I have written only one Christmas-themed story, and it is about exactly this subject - supervised play with a Chemistry Set and how that can go wrong.  I wrote the original version of it almost 20 years ago.)

No, a shameless plug would have included a link to your story. Very Happy


"My Christmas Present" by Adric


_________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=David+M.+Katz

Kat

avatar
Editor Extraordinaire
I'm joining the consensus.

Kat

AFinch

avatar
Sherrif
Me too

ivor

avatar
Marshall
Has to be the consensus as a retort escapes me......

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

18Smacked

avatar
Cowboy
I suppose I should have made the ages a couple of years older in order to possibly had a greater chance of divergent views here.

I can't really say I disagree with the crowd.

I will say that if anyone has not read Adric's story, they should, because it is a good one.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Pi Beta

avatar
RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
I am obviously utterly naive to have thought that they wouldn't want to investigate what was included having been given it as a present - it is their present after all (or did I really get it because I wanted to play with it myself?).

They have looked and touched but not experimented - well done them for resisting the temptation. They are definitely NOT in trouble.

kalico

avatar
Sherrif
Dittoing jack




Hugs kal

StevieWeeks

avatar
Trailboss

Stevie will take the chemistry set back to the shop and buy one of these for the boys instead:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

REAL RADIOACTIVITY and all !!!

Stevie :twisted
:

18Smacked

avatar
Cowboy
StevieWeeks wrote:
Stevie will take the chemistry set back to the shop and buy one of these for the boys instead:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

REAL RADIOACTIVITY and all !!!

Stevie :twisted
:

I would LOVE one of those sets now, Stevie!

The antique value for it must be sky high, particularly is the condition it is (pristine).

If it was available, I am sure it is out of what my budget could afford. But, taking it to a Chemical Society convention would have lots of folks wanting to buy it!

BTW- It is real radioactivity, but a rather low level; it is "depleted Uranium." One can buy that from chemical supply houses, and I bought a few bottles every year for the stockroom. There is more danger of getting a hernia from lifting more than a few jars at once; the stuff is incredibly heavy, and it is deceptive since the jars are not that large.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Adric

avatar
Cowboy
18Smacked wrote:I would LOVE one of those sets now, Stevie!

So would I.  This set looks remarkably well-equipped.  I still have the spinthariscope that I salvaged from my chemistry set, but the rest of the stuff faded away long ago.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

18Smacked

avatar
Cowboy
Adric wrote:
18Smacked wrote:I would LOVE one of those sets now, Stevie!

So would I.  This set looks remarkably well-equipped.  I still have the spinthariscope that I salvaged from my chemistry set, but the rest of the stuff faded away long ago.

That's great! Hold onto yours, since I Googled a new spinthariscope and found one for $ 49.00. So hold onto yours, Adric - no home is complete without one! Laughing

It is interesting that such kits were so commonly available then, and now are scarce. The danger is rather minimal, but even so, the liability is too great for a company to want to contend.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Zac

avatar
Wrangler
18Smacked wrote:
I would LOVE one of those sets now, Stevie!

....

BTW- It is real radioactivity, but a rather low level; it is "depleted Uranium." One can buy that from chemical supply houses, and I bought a few bottles every year for the stockroom. There is more danger of getting a hernia from lifting more than a few jars at once; the stuff is incredibly heavy, and it is deceptive since the jars are not that large.

Uranium is toxic as heavy metal like lead or mercury and can do more harm to the body for that reason than because of it radioactivity (see here http://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/92/Uranium#podcast go to podcast section). This was just one Gilbert Hall of Science products which now seem very scary. Still nothing like as scary as the things there were done with radium after it was discovered such as putting it in face powders and toothpaste ( http://www.rsc.org/periodic-table/element/88/radium#podcast ).

I got the impression that chemistry sets had been so sanitised and dumbed down these days because of safety and other fears that there was not much risk from them, apart from making a mess. I notice that the boys in the picture are wearing safety glasses shows some sense. There were no goggles included in my chemistry sets in the 70s and early 80s.

18Smacked

avatar
Cowboy
Zac, the bottles I was referenced were the ones I bought for the research and development department of the company for which I worked, initially as a chemist and then as a business administrator for the department. To be sure, Uranium is toxic, and in any equipment today for children (which would never be sold or marketed for them, except in an educational realm) would have it in a sealed container that would prevent access from little fingers. I meant that the radioactivity from something like depleted Uranium is not excessively dangerous for brief exposure, keeping a reasonable distance from vital organs, and not carrying it in one’s pockets, etc. As my department employed professional chemists, and we only used it in one assay that was rarely run, there was plenty of caution employed, and then the waste was sent to a secured landfill.

The picture seen was not associated with any  chemistry set of which I know, and was probably a classroom picture, based upon the glassware and safety glasses they are using; those don't come with any set I have seen.) Sets have been severely sanitized from what was available fifty and more years ago, for liability reasons. The truth is, with some creativity, a resourceful lad could (with a parent's credit card) still assemble his own kit.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

squarecutter

avatar
Sherrif
Pi Beta wrote:I am obviously utterly naive to have thought that they wouldn't want to investigate what was included having been given it as a present - it is their present after all (or did I really get it because I wanted to play with it myself?).

They have looked and touched but not experimented - well done them for resisting the temptation. They are definitely NOT in trouble.


Quite so. I for one wont sit on their natural curiosity about Science.provide they havent set anything alight yet

Iconoclast

avatar
Trailboss
StevieWeeks wrote:
Stevie will take the chemistry set back to the shop and buy one of these for the boys instead:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

REAL RADIOACTIVITY and all !!!

Stevie :twisted
:

Toys like this WERE the reason we won the Space Race!!

Iconoclast

Kat

avatar
Editor Extraordinaire
Iconoclast wrote:
StevieWeeks wrote:
Stevie will take the chemistry set back to the shop and buy one of these for the boys instead:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

REAL RADIOACTIVITY and all !!!

Stevie :twisted
:

Toys like this WERE the reason we won the Space Race!!

Iconoclast

I always figured it was because we recruited Nazi war criminals like Wernher von Braun. Razz

Kat

ivor

avatar
Marshall
Kat wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
StevieWeeks wrote:
Stevie will take the chemistry set back to the shop and buy one of these for the boys instead:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

REAL RADIOACTIVITY and all !!!

Stevie :twisted
:

Toys like this WERE the reason we won the Space Race!!

Iconoclast

I always figured it was because we recruited Nazi war criminals like Wernher von Braun. Razz

Kat

Those damned immigrants! Evil or Very Mad

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Kat

avatar
Editor Extraordinaire
ivor wrote:Those damned immigrants! Evil or Very Mad

Laughing You just gotta let the right ones in. In this case, it really was rocket science.

Kat

tbfyb

avatar
Cowboy
The boys get an A+ for thinking quickly with a reasonable, hard to disprove, excuse. Very Happy

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum