BOTD 12-15-2016 Santa Isn't Real??? An Anonymous Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
Santa Isn't Real ???
An Anonymous Production

The next door neighbour's son, Timmy, age 7
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He looks so shocked because your son, Robert, has just told him that Santa is not real, and that believing in him is a sin for which he and his family will burn in the everlasting flames of Hell...

Your son, Robert, 14, lighting candles in church:

For the record, neither you nor your church actually hold these extreme views and Robert has developed them on his own...

Of course, Robert was told long ago that you buy the gifts... and this year, you've spent quite a lot of money on buying him a new smartphone to replace the flip phone he's had since he was ten...

Your neighbour is furious with you and is demanding that your son be punished... he intended not to break the news until after Timmy turned nine...

Lately, you have been a little worried that Robert is developing an 'attitude' and there have been some issues that make you suspect he might be doing a little bullying on the side...

Where do you go now?

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm going to have a frank talk with Robert, in which I tell him that his religious views repulse me; that while he is entitled to his beliefs, he is not entitled to use them as an excuse for cruel or bullying behavior; and that there will be serious repercussions for him if he does not respect other people's views. I will also ask him why he thinks such behavior is compatible with his apparent devotion. If he respects our parish priest, I may enlist his help in discussing these issues with Robert.

Where Timmy is concerned, the harm has already been done. I can apologize and encourage Robert to apologize, but the true hard work is for Timmy's parents.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
I agree that I need to talk to Robert and let him know exactly how I feel about his beliefs and his actions. I do think that sitting Robert down with me and the priest/minister/pastor/bishop and having a discussion is needed.

Unlike Kat, I am going to spank Robert for this - it was cruel. It is time he realizes that I will not permit cruelty in the name of a religion or a god on my watch. Once he is out of my house he can spread hate and cruelty in the name of religion if he wants but I'll be damned if I am going to allow it while I am responsible for him.

Poor Timmy cannot unhear. I hope his Christmas isn't ruined.

ivor

Marshall
If enough people tell Timmy that Robert is a liar then he may well be persuaded that Father Christmas does indeed exist. Mind you, he'll still find out in a year or so on which basis the effort may be pointless.

Actually in this day and age I'm rather surprised that any kid over about 4 wold still believe.

As for Florian Robert, I reckon he deserves a spanking.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
Robert and I are going to start by explaining to Timmy that Santa is real, just not for mean, bullying people, who don't have the Spirit of Christmas in their heart. I will also let him know that there are a lot of stories about Santa and St. Nick that have grown up over the years, and some are definitely more true than others, but that he should worry about enjoying Christmas, and just ignore what some mean bully tells him.

When Robert and I get home, he's going to have a chance to explain the spirit of Christmas to me, and why he thinks he deserves any gifts. I normally hate when I hear of some parent who 'cancels Christmas' for their kid, but this behavior just disgusts me. As much as I'd love to wear him out - perhaps suggesting that, since he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, we could go to the real life St. Nicholas instead - I believe one of his assistants brought switches. The honest truth is that I'm not sure I could be fair with him right now, but I will tell him that I haven't decided what to do with him, and that there may be a date between him and the hairbrush coming in the near future.

In the meantime, he's grounded and we'll be having a series of talks about why I consider his beliefs and behavior to be intolerable.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
One thing that occurred to me in writing my answer: if Robert is sincere in his religious beliefs, no matter how misguided, then punishment is unlikely to do anything more than cement his beliefs, while causing him to see himself as a martyr. I'm interested in finding the source of these new views, as they aren't coming from his family or church. Also, why it would be stupid and pointless to forbid his views, I think it's entirely reasonable to establish boundaries about expressing them that respect other people's beliefs. One clear boundary should be forbidding him to engage with younger children about religion in any form or fashion. I hope this extremist phase is just something he's trying on, which is typical of adolescence.

I think I also need to consider a couple of mundane possibilities, such as Robert is envious of Timmy's innocent excitement or Robert has some lingering resentment towards us for 'lying' to him about Santa.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:One thing that occurred to me in writing my answer: if Robert is sincere in his religious beliefs, no matter how misguided, then punishment is unlikely to do anything more than cement his beliefs, while causing him to see himself as a martyr. I'm interested in finding the source of these new views, as they aren't coming from his family or church. Also, why it would be stupid and pointless to forbid his views, I think it's entirely reasonable to establish boundaries about expressing them that respect other people's beliefs. One clear boundary should be forbidding him to engage with younger children about religion in any form or fashion. I hope this extremist phase is just something he's trying on, which is typical of adolescence.

I think I also need to consider a couple of mundane possibilities, such as Robert is envious of Timmy's innocent excitement or Robert has some lingering resentment towards us for 'lying' to him about Santa.

Kat

Kat,

Frankly, you're right and the spanking I am going to give Robert probably won't help and might even cement him against me as the enemy.  However, frankly, I don't give a damn.  Part of the purpose of a spanking is purely punitive.  So, I stand by the fact that I am going to punish him for this intolerable act of cruelty.  If it has a deterrent effect then so be it.

If Robert balks too much then I will tell him to get that Bible he thinks he understands so well and have him look up and write out the following verses:

Proverbs 13:24
Ephesians 6:1
Hebrews 12:7-8
Proverbs 3:12

He can then bring me his assignment and we will discuss it and then I'll wear him out.

David M. Katz

Marshall
ivor wrote:

Actually in this day and age I'm rather surprised that any kid over about 4 wold still believe.

Sigh.

Yes, this is sadly true.

My five-year old grandson is "in the know" but at least he promises to go along with things for the sake of his little sister.

Jack

Admin
Kat - in this case, I don't think anyone suggested punishing him for his religious beliefs. Everyone who was going to punish him did so because of the bullying way he went about it. While that is a difference a 14-year old might not be able to understand, I do think it's an important one.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:Kat - in this case, I don't think anyone suggested punishing him for his religious beliefs.  Everyone who was going to punish him did so because of the bullying way he went about it.  While that is a difference a 14-year old might not be able to understand, I do think it's an important one.  

I guess my question is how do you distinguish between bullying and sincere but misguided beliefs that drive you to be hurtful to others? I find it an interesting question, as we live in a nation where a good many adults apparently believe their sincere religious beliefs entitle them to bully others. I'm more inclined to reason with a 14 year old, whose character isn't yet carved in stone.

Kat

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote: I find it an interesting question, as we live in a nation where a good many adults apparently believe their sincere religious beliefs entitle them to bully others.

Kat

This is indeed the sad truth. Sad

Jack

Admin

squarecutter

Sherrif
Robert does deserve a spanking. What he has done is cruel, and. which I hope will get home to him, unchristian. Do unto others ... which even many un- believers would go by. I will also remind Robert what he thought about Santa at 7, and the tooth fairy come to that. Tim is entitled to the childhood Robert had.

I call this bullying and while a follow up with a priest is not a bad idea this will come after a paddling especially if it is not the first instant. I wont expect Robert to apologize or retract as I doubt it would be terribly sincere but I will ask him to respect the feelings,values and beliefs of other people. Projecting his un solicited beliefs on innocent 1st graders is not acceptable. If I were Tinmys parents I would point out to Timmy that Robert is not a good example and that he should ignore him

kalico

Sherrif
I'm with Katz and jack...

Hugs kal

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
As an 8th grade teacher I mentioned Santa wasn't real, thinking they already knew. I destroyed one student's Christmas.

Link to the article containing that particular tweetie thing:

http://distractify.com/trending/2016/12/16/jimmy-fallon-worst-holidays

Stevie... Shocked

16 BOTD 12-15-2016 Santa Isn't Real??? on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 am

tbfyb

Cowboy
Robert is a bully --- I'm not convinced that he really believes the story he told re. Hell and Damnation --- but, as a bully, he certainly deserves a good spanking.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum