Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/17/16 GOOD Boy(s) BOTD "Playing Santa" An 18Smacked Production

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Adric

Cowboy
This BOTD really has staying power.  The reason I think it has such appeal is that a lot of people, including me, think that police should in some instances be on a shorter leash.  When you have ideas floating around that "you are not allowed to put money in a parking meter if it might help someone avoid a ticket" or "you are not allowed to flash your headlights at oncoming traffic if there is a speed trap behind you" then it is a fairly small step from that to "you are not allowed to photograph or video officers while performing their duties" etc.  Pretty soon you are not allowed to do anything that happens not to please a police officer.  In this case what the boys are doing is going to be extremely rare and probably a one-time event.  Arguments about how parking restrictions benefit society seem to me to be beside the point in this case.  And yet, you really don't want to get the message wrong when you talk to your boys about the situation.  If you say it wrong it will come out sounding like they don't have to pay any attention to police if they don't agree with what the police are doing.  It would be easy to send the wrong message.  I think it is a very tricky subject and a super BOTD.  I may have to tell my boys something that I don't even agree with myself.  (As an adult I get to challenge the police on the topic of feeding parking meters, but they don't.)

I remember an argument I once had with a co-worker about whether there was, or should be, a law prohibiting the unauthorized decoding of coded subscription television signals that came in on the airwaves.  My argument was that the TV signals come into my house uninvited and that I have the right to do anything I want with them.  If they don't want me doing that then it is up to them to make sure that they don't come into my house.  I still think I'm right, and he's wrong.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

squarecutter

Sherrif
18Smacked wrote:
squarecutter wrote:Its nice but I sense a slight anti authority motivation. In my road I have to have an anmual permit for the privelege of parking in the zone my road is in. Recently I forgot to renew and got 4 tickets in 48 hours before I could display my new permit! Ouch! Otherwise there is a pay and display with a 2 hour limit for outsiders. I think I will take my sons home and say its a nice gesture but that the beneficiaries probably wont notice, or thank them and also why the authorities may not appreciate the gesture either. I will reimburse them half the money

I am curious, SQ, were you able to show that you simply hadn't displayed the new permit, and thereby expunge your 4 tickets?

From what I have heard, if, say, one neglects to display one's Handicap Placard, which allows one to park in a Disabled Parking slot, one can show that a valid placard is held, and the penalties will be waived. (In my state only; what happens in other states may vary.)

I wish it were so simple. I did try putting it to them that the I shouldnt have to pay for those incurred between the time I renewed the permit and receiving it shouldn't be paid but Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames werent having it. In the UK it is a good source of funds by local councils

18Smacked

Cowboy
squarecutter wrote:
18Smacked wrote:
squarecutter wrote:Its nice but I sense a slight anti authority motivation. In my road I have to have an anmual permit for the privelege of parking in the zone my road is in. Recently I forgot to renew and got 4 tickets in 48 hours before I could display my new permit! Ouch! Otherwise there is a pay and display with a 2 hour limit for outsiders. I think I will take my sons home and say its a nice gesture but that the beneficiaries probably wont notice, or thank them and also why the authorities may not appreciate the gesture either. I will reimburse them half the money

I am curious, SQ, were you able to show that you simply hadn't displayed the new permit, and thereby expunge your 4 tickets?

From what I have heard, if, say, one neglects to display one's Handicap Placard, which allows one to park in a Disabled Parking slot, one can show that a valid placard is held, and the penalties will be waived. (In my state only; what happens in other states may vary.)

I wish it were so simple. I did try putting it to them that the I shouldnt have to pay for those incurred between the time I renewed the permit and receiving it shouldn't be paid but Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames werent having it. In the UK it is a good source of funds by local councils

Sympathies to you regarding that; it's simply wrong, in my view.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

tbfyb

Cowboy
re. Handicap sticker and ticket waiving -- it works that way in Las Vegas. My handicap sticker was getting old and cracked -- it fell from the front mirror and I was ticketed --- I didn't have to go to court, I simply had to show up and present my valid sticker at the window and the ticket was dismissed. I also went to the DMV and got a new sticker.

18Smacked

Cowboy
tbfyb wrote:re. Handicap sticker and ticket waiving -- it works that way in Las Vegas.  My handicap sticker was getting old and cracked -- it fell from the front mirror and I was ticketed --- I didn't have to go to court, I simply had to show up and present my valid sticker at the window and the ticket was dismissed.  I also went to the DMV and got a new sticker.

tbfyb and SQ, that's the way it should work if justice is really to be tempered with mercy. Smile

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum