a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 12/21/16 "Howie On The Fence" A Squarecutter Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
HOWIE ON THE FENCE
A Squarecutter Production

This is your "intrepid" nine-year old Howie. We'll come back to him as you can see he's a bit stuck and wont be going anywhere for a bit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A couple recently moved in next door and appear to not like kids much and especially object to them stepping into their garden to fetch stray balls. This is a shame as Howie and many of his friends are keen on practicing  their sports. Most notably of these is Howie's best pal Georgie, who is eight.  (With the mitt, about to let one fly) Georgie is staying with you this weekend while his parents are away. You sympathise with your son as the old folk there before weren't bothered by kids.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Despite your feelings about your new neighbours,  you gave Howie a good hand spanking the last time he was caught in the garden next door topped up with a couple with the recently introduced paddle because he appeared not to be heeding warnings to knock on the door first. Your neighbours then put up this fence.

You looked out from the house and saw Georgie trying to get Howie free from the fence. Georgie said he accidentally hurled the baseball over the fence and Howie had now got stuck trying to scale the fence to retrieve it despite climbing on Georgie's shoulder to get over the fence. Howie said he couldn't go round to the house as the neighbours hated him.

Now that you have Howie down off the fence, how do you deal with him?

Georgie knows of the neighbour problem too and you have permission to treat him as your own if he misbehaves. Is he in trouble?

David M. Katz

Marshall
Had to post a bit early today. Enjoy!

tbfyb

Cowboy
Accidents will happen and throwing the ball over the fence is unfortunate.

Georgie knows that Howie is not allowed to go into the neighbors yard and if Georgie's role was limited to trying to free his struck friend I would let him off the hook. Sadly, however, it seems that Howie got stuck with Georgie's help.

Climbing (or attempting to climb) over the fence so as to retrieve such a ball, after being told NO, is definitely spank worthy, as Howie should have learned already; some lessons just need repeating.

Georgie's going to get a hand spanking and Howie's going to be reacquainted with the paddle.

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
I'm a bit confused. The picture clearly shows him still mainly on his own side of the fence since the fence posts and cross beams are nearer the camera (at least, that is the UK convention for fencing), in which case he's not yet got fully into the neighbour's garden.

I think, therefore, that having retrieved him from the fence, he's going to get an ear-bashing for his attempt to scale the fence, followed up by a few spanks to reinforce the message.

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
And before anyone accuses me of being pedantic and being more influenced by the picture than the written scenario, I'll plead guilty. Based on the written scenario, he's getting a far harsher spanking using the paddle (though a small one, I hope), and Georgie will get a mild hand spanking for his assistance.

18Smacked

Cowboy
I must agree with Pi Beta that Howie is certainly mostly on his side of the fence (with the exception of his forearms and right foot), pursuant to the standards for fencing in the town in MA where I grew up, as the Fence Viewer (real title) for the town explained to us. So, it comes down to whether I believe the picture or the written scenario.
If the picture suffices, not much action on my part is required save a stern reminder about the necessity to knock on the door and ask permission to retrieve a ball. However, I think I would go a step further and remind both boys that since the neighbors “don’t like kids” that maybe riding their bikes to play ball in the park might be the best way to avoid troubles in the future. If the park is near enough to the house, then all they need do is get my permission prior to going there. If not, I will need to approve of my son going and Georgie will need to do that with his parents.

If I believe the written scenario, then Howie was deliberately disobeying my specific instructions on what to do to get the ball back when it went over the fence. He will get a small hand spanking warm up, and then several swats with the paddle this time, in hopes he will finally get my message. As for Georgie, in view of the fact he was complicit in helping Howie try to scale the fence, I think he gets half as much as Howie gets in terms of a spanking. But, I will encourage and assist the boys in going to the park to play ball, so they will be able to avoid these problems in the future.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

kalico

Sherrif
I will help get him down and remind him that he needs to go round to the front door of the neighbors to knock and while I'm doing that he'll receive a few stingors and be told this is his last warning... then I will go with the boys to the neighbors ....

Hugs kal

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to agree with Kal. When I was 8, we had a next door neighbor like the one in the scenario. I'm not sure how many of our balls they STOLE (or, I guess more properly, kept, since they'd landed in their yard). Knocking politely on their door and asking for one's ball back just got us yelled at--didn't get the ball anyway. They were AWFUL people.

From the scenario, this couple is at least willing to retrieve the errant ball if asked nicely.

As to Pi's "pedanticism", I think that's moot--had he not gotten stuck on the fence, I have ever reason to believe he'd have just gone and retrieved his ball. That goes to "intent".

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Oh dear, while Howie was stuck up on the fence, his mineral oil worked... and now his trousers are soaked with you know what...

He'll have to have a serious bath before I spank his bottom and all...

Stevie... Shocked

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
K Club. I agree with Kal and Kier.

Kat

18Smacked

Cowboy
AFinch wrote:I'm going to agree with Kal.  When I was 8, we had a next door neighbor like the one in the scenario.  I'm not sure how many of our balls they STOLE (or, I guess more properly, kept, since they'd landed in their yard).  Knocking politely on their door and asking for one's ball back just got us yelled at--didn't get the ball anyway.  They were AWFUL people.

We had a couple across the street from us that hated our family, though we never had any sort of "event" that set off their attitude. But, we were not able to simply walk across their grass on the way to school while all other kids in the area did so with impunity. If their lawn was a well-tended showcase for the neighborhood that would have been one thing, but it was a trashy/ugly scrap of grass and dirt, and all neighborhood kids used it for ball games, etc., except my brother and me, since we were not welcome to be on their property. (In fact, my family's lawn and entire yard drew folks from all around to take pictures. My dad really took pride in having a showcase yard.)

If we ever stepped on their grass, we were yelled at and sworn at, and threatened with the police for trespassing. Their last name began with "B" and you can guess how my brother and I referred to them.

ivor

Marshall
I can't give Georgie any more than an ear bashing as this is the first time he has been involved in fence climbing.

As for my son, it is a pity that he couldn't work out Howie was going to get down before I saw him...

I don't really regard it as a paddle worthy offence though.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
This may simply be a case where the new neighbors are more ardent about their gardening than the previous neighbors were, and they're worried about young boys tramping tender plants.

I'll go with Howie, ring up the neighbors, and explain, "Howie's had a ball go into your back yard. He's afraid to come ask himself, because he seems to feel you hate him. Would you mind retrieving it for us, please?"

I'm going to let Howie know that he should probably get paddled for this, but that I really don't want to paddle him right now. We'll talk about respecting other people's property, even when they aren't nice, and hopefully this won't happen again.

squarecutter

Sherrif
Th boys are together for the weekend and should be having fun so I dont want to come down hard. I think I'm going to give both boys some stingoers for Howies intended disobedience and Georgies complicity and send them round together to ask politely for the ball back. We will consider the park if this doesn't work. May be also if we the parents are neighbourly and the kids respectful to these people the ice will melt a little bit as it seems a shame to have a backyard the kids can't play ball in

tbfyb

Cowboy
Perhaps my reading of the scenario is faulty --

Georgie's a cute kid and I want him to have fun but his story about what happened is mixed --- at one point he says he went over to help Howie get down and --- but he also seems to admit that he let Howie get up on his shoulders in Howie's failed attempt to climb over the wall.  I think both statements are true - but the one excuses Georgie's participation, while the other makes him an accomplice.

As for Howie -- I have most recently given him a good hand spanking topped off with a few paddle swats (because he hadn't learned to go knock on the door; and that was before the fence went up.  That implies that this is at least Howie's 3rd attempt (or venture) into the new neighbors yard after they had made it clear they didn't want boys tramping in their garden.

If my reading is accurate then Howie certainly deserves another spanking or paddling as he has already been warned, and punished, at least twice previously.

Spanking Georgie may be unfair but it's not as though he hasn't had his own encounters with the new neighbors.  I am sure that Georgie knows that going over the fence to retrieve the ball is wrong.

I do think going with the boys while they both ask, politely, if it would be possible for the new neighbors to return their ball is a good idea.  If the boys handle this mission successfully I might reconsider the spankings.  

Perhaps I should buy the boys a goodly supply of balls so that the neighbors can collect, from time to time, and place in a bucket near their front door so the boys don't have to ring the bell or knock on the door.  Of course, I imagine an errant ball, over that fence, might land (and squash) a few garden plants without the boys tramping them underfoot.

AFinch

Sherrif
FWIW, my evil neighbors as a little boy were not amenable to returning our balls, no matter how nicely we, or our parents, asked. They moved shortly before we did. After they'd gone, we retrieved probably a dozen of our balls that had been left in their yard (garden). And FWIW, that space was not manicured and immaculate--it was as trashy as those people were. Some people are just plain mean.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
18smacked wrote:We had a couple across the street from us that hated our family, though we never had any sort of "event" that set off their attitude.

Um... yes, you did have an 'event' and you included it later in your post...

18smacked wrote:...my family's lawn and entire yard drew folks from all around to take pictures. My dad really took pride in having a showcase yard...

Stevie...

tbfyb

Cowboy
AFinch posted:

FWIW, my evil neighbors as a little boy were not amenable to returning our balls, no matter how nicely we, or our parents, asked. They moved shortly before we did. After they'd gone, we retrieved probably a dozen of our balls that had been left in their yard (garden). And FWIW, that space was not manicured and immaculate--it was as trashy as those people were. Some people are just plain mean.
end quote

That may or may not be the case here -- and won't can't allow past experiences to poison the well for all future encounters.

The fence is new -- I should know whether or not these neighbors take care of their garden -- and it really doesn't matter -- they do seem to have put up quite a nice fence, and it does not seem to have been their intent to provide a gate.

18Smacked

Cowboy
StevieWeeks wrote:
18smacked wrote:We had a couple across the street from us that hated our family, though we never had any sort of "event" that set off their attitude.

Um... yes, you did have an 'event' and you included it later in your post...

18smacked wrote:...my family's lawn and entire yard drew folks from all around to take pictures. My dad really took pride in having a showcase yard...

Stevie...

I reckon so, Stevie. Though it was a reflection on their maturity to take that out on some kids. Rolling Eyes

And, what my Dad did for our yard was nothing compared to what a man up the hill from us used to do - he actually painted his grass! Razz My Dad used to joke about that, but then, during a drought, when watering was banned, we caught him spraying the dried out grass green. Shocked

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum