a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 01-10-2017 Morning Wood -An Ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
"Morning Wood"
An Ivor Production

It is June 1980. You are a Housemaster at an all boy Boarding School in England.

In that position you have the authority to discipline boys in your house by means of the slipper and the junior cane. Depending on when infractions occur the punishments can be delivered either over the shorts the boys wear during the day, or the pyjamas they wear for bed. For more serious or regular infractions you can refer a boy to the Headmaster who will apply the senior cane to their backside clad only in a pair of football shorts.

The weather for the last two weeks has been unusually hot for June and you have woken just after 6am. You look out of your window and see below you on the lawn, one of your boys - 14 year old Marcus Wood.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Master Wood is in breach of several rules:

1) He should not be out of his dormitory before the morning 'wake up' bell sounds at 7am.

2) He is not wearing his pyjama trousers, but instead - horror of horrors - a pair of patterned boxer shorts!

When you call to him "Morning, Wood" and ask what he is doing out there, he tells you that he has found it too hot to sleep properly in the dorm of late so for the past week he has been getting up around 5am and coming out in the garden to sit and read in the relative cool. He has also been wearing boxers in bed instead of pyjama trousers.

He has this omitted several offences more than once.

What action will you take?

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
I think I will have him put on the pajama trousers so I can give him 3 with the slipper

Iconoclast

Trailboss
I will tell the rule-makers that if I am to enforce their rules they must turn down the outside temperature!

Iconoclast

squarecutter

Sherrif
I agree with Skater but also he will have to lose those boxers as well. I sympathise but I cant have half dressed small boys in the grounds when they should be in bed

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
Since it seems I am also having difficulty sleeping having got up that early, I'm inclined to sympathise with him. Bed and lights-out time seemed sacrosanct in most boarding schools and strictly enforced, but rarely was getting up early seen as a cause for punishment (though lying in would be!).

I'm going to give all the boys a dispensation to get up early within reason during the hottest weather, though making it clear that they must remain within the curtilage of the House and garden. If I impose any punishment on him, it will be to send him for a cold shower to help him cool down.

Jack

Admin
I suppose I should skip answering this one, because I simply can not wrap my brain around the idea of required bed clothes. Likewise, I suppose I should at least impose the standard penalty for being out of place, but I can't help but feel the boy has shown better judgement than I have.

I will not send him to the headmaster for this, and I'm not imposing anything harsh, but I am going to call him up and discuss issues with him. Perhaps I should have him write lines - early morning in the garden.

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with Pi Beta.

Kat

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
Thinking about the housemasters in the six boarding houses when I was at school (1960s) I reckon it would have been the luck of the draw as to which House he was in. I reckon 4 would have beaten him (2 more to make the point than to punish) and 2 would not have imposed any punishment, taking the line I took above. None would have involved the brute of a headmaster - their House, their responsibility, their rules!

David M. Katz

Marshall
I am totally void of any knowledge of UK boarding schools so I was going to abstain. However, I think, PiBeta's response makes sense.

So . . . DITTO, Pi.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum