a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/14/17 - Smile, You're on Candid Camera - a DMK Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
SMILE, YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA!
A DMK Production

You recently experienced a home burglary and so you installed a camera system. The system records outside of your house and in the large family room.

You were recently reviewing the hours of recordings and you noted that at around 2:00am on the past three nights that your twelve-year old son, Dylan, is up and about in the family room. He starts by jumping around and walking on the furniture. (Something he would never be allowed to do.) Dylan then brings in some snacks and a soft drink from the kitchen to the family room (again, something that you do not allow in your home - food and drink outside of the kitchen.) Dylan sits and watches a TV show for about a half hour, takes his plate and empty can to the kitchen and then goes off (presumably) back to bed. The past night Dylan must have noticed the camera because he stands up and turns the camera around halfway through whatever he is watching on TV. As a side note, Dylan has had no issues waking up on time in the morning.

DYLAN - 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What do you do about Dylan's nocturnal habits as of late?

(No, he is not sleep walking. Dylan is fully awake and aware of what he is doing.)

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm going to show him the security footage and ask HIM what he thinks we should do about it.

If he's had no issues waking up the morning (and his school performance hasn't suffered by conking out once he gets there), then perhaps he could use a later bed time.

I don't really have an issue with him getting a snack, so long as he cleans up after himself. I DO have an issue with the furniture walking/jumping--we'll talk about it. Sounds to me, though, like the best solution is to get him involved in some sort of athletic endeavor that will leave him tired enough to sleep through the night.

At this point, no spanking.

18Smacked

Cowboy
So, my 12 year-old son is waking up at 2 AM for a snack and to do gymnastics in the living room…. Okay. This seems like a rather strange thing to do, irrespective of what the security films show.

Clearly he is not having enough activity during the day to tire out his body and we will be looking for ways to increase his daily activity, whether with a sport, karate lessons or other activities. The only real “damage” at this point may be some harm to the growth of his body, since a child’s body grows when asleep. I will let my son know this little bit of physiological trivia, and see if he wants to be tall as or taller than me. But- my reliance will be on his involvement in a sport or some other after-school activity.

There is no punishment necessary; he was not falling asleep in class nor was he failing to get up for school in the mornings. I will simply have a talk with him, and let him know that I am aware of his after-hours foraging and gymnastics.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

ivor

Marshall
He'll be warned that any more jumping on furniture or eating in that room ill result in a spanking. As will any drop in his performance at school. And if the camera should ever be turned off.........

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
I will start by onfronting him with the footage. I hop he will understand he was not the target for this technology but this was What was found. I am a tad concerned he cant sleep at night. wonder one. Are we sending him to bed too early and should we perhaps be allowing him at sandwich at bedtime. (12 year olds have hollow legs). One thing tough is that we want him to stop is walking on the furniture. Its bot what its there for and if he fell off and knocked himself out himself at dead of night he could be left there for hours.Its good that he was clearing up after himself. This may now all stop now he knows we know.

Pi Beta

Trailboss
"Dad, there's no point having a security system if it doesn't work or it never gets checked. I was wanting to find out how long it took before you noticed that I was testing it out for you. After all, you may have been sold a pup that was just a mock up and was recording nothing. If you'd not pulled me up about this within a week, I was going to challenge you about it.

"Um, you're not going to spank me for this are you, Dad, are you, OH!"

Jack

Admin
I was going to argue with Pi. After all, why check the system when nothing had happened. On the other hand, his response could be perfect kid logic, so...

The scenario says that walking/jumping on the furniture isn't allowed. Neither is taking snacks into the living room. I'll bet you odds that this late night TV watching probably violated his screen time limit as well, though that's not mentioned.

I think I'll ask him what he expects I'd do if I walked in and found him doing those things. I'm tempted to send him to his room to get ready for a spanking, then have a talk with him about why we have those rules. If I do spank, it's just enough to get his attention, nothing harsh.

Like the rest, we will re-set his bedtime, but this is much like the type of insomnia I have - and dealt with at about his age - so I'll just talk with him about the best ways to deal with it.

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think I need to review my rules for Dylan. I do suspect a later bed time is needed. Also, he might need a snack closer to bed time. As far as walking on the furniture then I see that as a form of minor rebellion..
Also, if the program he is watching at 2 AM is appropriate then I will allow him to set the DVR so he can watch it at a normal hour.

I don't see a spanking as helping.

**This BOTD is loosely based on:

http://www.littlethings.com/dad-catches-son-playing/?utm_source=fbsp&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=19-D-7884-3

I made the boy older and added a bit more detail.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
The boy is probably constipated... a good dose of castor oil will soon get things moving again...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum