a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 1/21/17 "A Penny Saved" An 18Smacked Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
A Penny Saved?
An 18Smacked Production

Your eleven year-old son, Eric, and his newly turned twelve year-old best-friend Joey, who is staying at your house under your full disciplinary authority while his parents are away for a business conference out-of-state, were both sent to the store to get several items you needed for dinner. You gave them $ 45 in all, and were expecting about three dollars in change. When the kids returned home, they gave you the change, but there was more than you expected; a considerable amount more.

You asked the boys how this was possible, and with a little evasion, they finally said, “Well, instead of going to Values, we went to that new store, Discount Saver, and they are having an opening week sale.” You check the store receipt, and, in fact, there was a wonderful sale going on, and all items they bought are reflected on the receipt.

You then realize that this other store is not only more than a mile (1.6 km) farther away [this itself is not a major problem] but it is across a major highway where there is no traffic light with which to cross. Both boys know that you do not allow them to cross streets such as this, unless they have a traffic light, or crossing guard present. You appreciate the extra change (almost $ 15), and their excellent money sense, but does this greater good outweigh the risk they took, particularly at the noon hour? You asked why they didn’t call you about crossing the street, and after looking at one another,  they said, “We wanted to surprise you.” And, indeed, you were surprised.

ERIC -11
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JOEY - 12
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Both boys are punished with non-CP alternatives, or bare bottom hand spankings and, for the serious issues, a small paddle is employed on their bare bums.

Is any punishment warranted here, and if so, what?

Your reaction?

Padraig

Trailboss
None at all. Probably a little chat about why I'm still concerned of them going there but in general thanks and praise.

The money saved goes to their ice cream fonds...

Adric

Cowboy
I'll go with Padraig on this one.  I'll talk to them awhile about that busy street and the need to let me know when they are planning to do something like this, but in general I'm pretty pleased with their performance.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

Jack

Admin
At 12 years old, I was making 20 mile bike rides and hiking to the next town.

That's not to say there aren't reasons to have restrictions on them, but is there really a major road in my town that's not safe for kids to cross? If so, I should petition the city council to add a light and crossing signals.

Having said that, I'm going to thank them kindly, but remind them of their boundaries and why we have them. As we prepare dinner, we'll talk about crossing safely, and unless I see a problem, I'll increase their boundaries.

squarecutter

Sherrif
I agree with Padraig. I might evenconsider reviewing the rules but I want to a recce to see how safe the route is for boys this age. I might thouh remind the boys thatthey should ask in future and their safety is more import than than a few dolllars however impressed with their savvy I might be

18Smacked

Cowboy
squarecutter wrote:I agree with Padraig. I might evenconsider reviewing the rules but I want to a recce to see how safe the route is for boys this age. I might thouh remind the boys thatthey should ask in future and their safety is more import than  than a few dolllars however impressed with their savvy I might be

As stated in the scenario, "it is across a major highway where there is no traffic light with which to cross."

So, it is not a regular sort of road, but an actual highway where there are two or three lanes per direction, and cars are travelling at high speed in the lanes closes to the center of the highway.

There may be a crossing at a point more than a mile up ahead,away from where the boys crossed. The boys did not want to do the additional distance to get to the crossing. The store they went to was not directly alongside this highway, but was several streets removed from it.

Last edited by 18Smacked on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm also with Padraig.

Kat

AFinch

Sherrif
Unanimous

ivor

Marshall
2 or 3 lane highway certainly sounds potentially dangerous, although at noon I'd not have thought it would be that busy.

Am more amazed they'd bother to walk that distance in the hope of saving a few dollars.

They'll get a pass this tine - and a lecture.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
18Smacked wrote:
squarecutter wrote:I agree with Padraig. I might evenconsider reviewing the rules but I want to a recce to see how safe the route is for boys this age. I might thouh remind the boys thatthey should ask in future and their safety is more import than  than a few dolllars however impressed with their savvy I might be

As stated in the scenario, "it is across a major highway where there is no traffic light with which to cross."

So, it is not a regular sort of road, but an actual highway where there are two or three lanes per direction, and cars are travelling at high speed in the lanes closes to the center of the highway.

There may be a crossing at a point more than a mile up ahead,away from where the boys crossed. The boys did not want to do the additional distance to get to the crossing. The store they went to was not directly alongside this highway, but was several streets removed from it.

This is one of the big problems with writing scenarios like this - sometimes you have a particular picture in mind, but other people (like me) have a different image (probably from our own experience at some point or another) which makes each of our answers appropriate, but maybe not what other people expected. Still, that can make for interesting discussions.

As for me, there was a 4 lane state highway not too far from where Mom still lives, and I used to cross it regularly (even though there were lights within a mile in both directions of where I crossed). The road I crossed was never too dangerous, and that's what I see in this case, but I can see how I might react completely different with only a few changes. After all, more than one of my boys has been spanked for similar behavior to this.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum