Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Jack

Admin
This is your son,  Dylan, only a few days after he turned 16 and received his driver's license.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dylan has always been something of a challenge, though usually just with mischief and seeing how far he can push things or what he can get away with, more than anything really bad.  Because of that, you have used corporal punishment as your go to, and it's mostly worked with him.  Since getting his driver's license, you have grounded him a couple of times, taking his keys for two or three days (and once his phone as well).  You felt like, since he was old enough to drive, he probably deserved to be treated a bit more maturely, and he seemed to agree with you.  He did (jokingly) ask what happened if he violated, and you (mostly jokingly) told him he'd get an old-fashioned paddling, then re-start the grounding.

Today, you received a red light ticket in the mail.  You're a bit confused, since you're very careful about that, having paid a couple of them when they first started.  You check your calendar to see what day it was, and then are even more confused, since that was a date night for you and your spouse, and you're sure you took your spouse's car.  You double check the ticket again to see if it was your spouse's car, when you realize that it was your car, while you were on the date, but Dylan is driving.  That's doubly shocking, because Dylan was grounded at the time.  The problem was, the grounding was for three days, and ended nearly three weeks ago.

Is Dylan in trouble for the ticket?  Is he in trouble for violating the grounding? If so, what does he get?

2 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Iconoclast

Trailboss
maybe Dylan just forgot what he was doing, like you forgetting about chat!

Iconoclast

3 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
Yes and YES and very unhappy.

I’m having trouble counting up the number of violations of rules and trust in addition to the traffic fine.

He loses his license and car keys for a while (initial thoughts are a month).

And he is grounded.

And he has a discussion with Mr. Paddle.

And a very disappointed father.

Y.

Last edited by Y Lee Coyote on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

4 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:47 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
He is old enough to understand why the wait. But, because there is a delay between crime and punishment I do think I need to be a bit easier.

He owes me one day being grounded and he gets a paddling. (The spanking will probably be mostly token like 2 swats school-boy style over underwear.)

5 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Katz's response seems reasonable.

Kat

6 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:02 am

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
While my initial reaction was similar to YLC, assuming that he doesn't try to deny his involvement and comes clean, he'll get away with paying the fine, serving an extra day's grounding (or 2 days lost key) and a paddling.

One can never be absolutely sure whether it is your car that has been flashed or another so I'll be understanding about his failure to own up immediately.

7 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 am

ivor

Marshall
I can understand him not confessing at the time as camera flash doesn't always equal ticket arrival.

I'm inclined to something midway between Katz & YLC. There were enough offences here to merit a separate punishment as well as completion of the original.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

8 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:06 am

Jack

Admin
What I'd told him originally (though not entirely seriously) is that he'd have to restart the grounding if he violated it. Since it sounds like I marked the grounding down on the calendar, I can tell how many days he should have to redo.

HOWEVER...

I will show him the evidence and listen to what he has to say. I honestly can't think of anything he could say that would excuse the violation of his restriction (though I can understand him thinking it's an 'emergency' to help out a friend, then keeping quiet about it, when he thinks he got away with it). I am going to treat it as two separate offenses. He'll pay for the traffic ticket through a combination of docking his allowance and extra chores. For the violation, he's going to get a pretty thorough paddling (I understand David's view, but I want it to be enough to discourage this if we ever have a repeat), and then I'll 'restart' the grounding (with no definitive time limit). If he's pretty meek and apologetic, I'll limit the grounding to one day.

9 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
Y Lee Coyote wrote:Yes and YES and very unhappy.

I’m having trouble counting up the number of violations of rules and trust in addition to the traffic fine.

He loses his license and car keys for a while (initial thoughts are a month).

And he is grounded.

And he has a discussion with Mr. Paddle.

And a very disappointed father.

Y.

Nothing to add

10 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Padraig

Trailboss
Apart from the minor detail that he wouldn't be allowed to drive a car without supervision until he's 18 in our part of the world, a red light violation is bad, really bad for a young driver. Even if he wasn't endangering someone or had an accident (in that case he could say good bye to his licence for a long time - even go to jail) his probation period would be extended to four years and a second offence would kill his licence immediately. So, no, this isn't a joke. Compared to that his violation of his grounding is a piece of cake (not that he will like that cake...).

11 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie agrees with Padraig on this one... in his opinion running a red light is very, very serious indeed and he's extremely unhappy that the boy did it...

Stevie is aware that these red light cameras can be a little trigger happy, but he would expect that a new driver should be erring on the side of caution in this matter, and would have gone over this extensively with the boy before letting him drive on his own.

It is not legal to spank Dylan here so that alternative is off the table; he is, however, going to lose his car keys for some time... unless he is given specific permission to take it for some reason.

Luckily, photographic tickets do not affect driving records or insurance rates, or his insurance rates might rise so much that his driving would become permanently unaffordable... in which case he would have to surrender his license to the department of motor vehicles.

The grounding is reset to zero and starts again... Stevie is unhappy about his violating it but doesn't feel that that is a huge deal in any case.

Stevie.

PS.
Why Stevie does not like the thought of his boy running red lights (caution: graphic traffic accidents):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mdDDwleCE

PPS: Stevie does not think that any of these incidents are 'Funny Car Crashes' AT ALL.

12 Re: 30 January 2017 - Ticket Trouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Jack

Admin
For the record, some of these lights aren't just trigger happy, but insane. I read a case where one fellow was ticketed (two days in a row), because his front tire slightly violated the white line. In a personal case, I received one because the camera thought I didn't pause long enough before making a right turn on red (I had actually stopped on yellow, yielded, then turned a second after it turned red).

Stevie - if you want to paddle (or whatever) an older boy, you can always answer it as if you're in Texas.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum