Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 01-31-2017 Not There! - An 18-Smacked Production

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Pi Beta

RIP 9 Jan 47 - 17 June 17
Dentists normally seem to work from behind one's head so that one can't see just what they are about to use in your mouth - with good reason, it appears. I can understand some reaction to seeing the needle, though it does seen an over-reaction.

Like Stevie I had some unpleasant experiences as a child - but only with a dentist who almost used a headlock to hold me in position - that at a time when anaesthetic was normally offered only for extractions.

I've overcome my fear of dentists, but not of oral anaesthesia and have always chosen to suffer the short term (generally dull) pain of the drilling rather than the long term after-effects of the anaesthetic. I must add that I do accept anaesthesia for a extraction - one took 2 hours and left the dentist sweating more than me and his receptionist having to rebook most of those who were due after me!

Perhaps the dentist in this case should have talked through the "no anaesthetic" option as something that "the bravest boys" choose before assuming that he will choose the needle.

18Smacked

Cowboy
Pi Beta wrote:
Perhaps the dentist in this case should have talked through the "no anaesthetic" option as something that "the bravest boys" choose before assuming that he will choose the needle.

You know, Pi, they now have dentists that offer "sedation" for even minor fillings; it is a very pleasant experience, and they use midazolam (also known in the States as Versed), a very safe amnesiac agent, and that means that you literally will not remember anything after they give this to you until you wake up. I had oral surgery last week to extract an upper tooth that had mostly broken off and then put in an implant. The Periodontist put in the needle, and injected the midazolam and that was all she wrote until I woke up. It was a very pleasant nap as far as I was concerned. I am sure it is available in Great Britain, Pi.

As for the incident at the dentist: I did this, when I was 6 or 7 years old. The dentist gave me no explanation whatsoever; just came at me with his drill. Out of panic, I did kick the dentist, right where I described in the BOTD.  He ripped the bib off me and said several choice words. (At that time, swearing in front of a child was a big No No!) My mom and dad never asked me about the incident, and I was never punished for it, nor did I ever have to apologize to the dentist. We never went back to that dentist and I got some fillings from another dentist a few weeks later.

Fortunately, I was not traumatized from going back to the dentist, and accepted it as a fact of life. Then, after college, I wanted to go to medical school, but at the time, it was quite difficult to get into med schools, so I thought maybe I might like dentistry if I did not make med school. To see about that thought, I volunteered at the dental unit at the  Free Clinic in the city where I was, and learned all the instruments, how to take the standard x-rays and develop them, and assist with the oral surgeries, which I particularly liked. I really enjoyed the work, and was told that I was a very quick learner.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum