Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

16 February 2017 - Double Trouble Twice (Part One)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
Sean (17) is best friends with your 15-year old Parker are best friends.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Despite their age difference, Sean and Parker have bonded over their mutual love of video.  While Sean is really into music and enjoys making music videos, Parker loves everything about video, is taking A/V classes at school, and is fascinated by all the technical stuff in making them.  While Sean isn't as interested in those aspects, he is more than willing to help when Parker gets an idea.

Sean attends the local private school and is also friends with some of Parker's big brothers, and sometimes performs with Van's band.  He and his little brothers have actually lived with you for short periods several times now, and you basically treat all of them like you do your own kids, including corporal punishment.

After seeing commercials for the Lego Batman Movie and Power Rangers back to back, Parker was inspired to create Mighty Morphin' Power Legos: the Movie.  

Parker goes to Sean, then the two of them come to you to get an okay (and an advance) to make the movie.  Because stop motion takes so much time, they also got permission to set things up in your library (normally off limits because of the collectibles you keep displayed there.  Parker and Sean also get permission to ask their little brothers for help in building the Lego displays they'll need.

The younger brothers have a good time building the sets.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Saturday comes, and the boys are in your library, spending hours to make minutes of film.  After they've been at it a couple of hours, your youngest son, Curtis (6) comes to you with one of your displays.  It's an old Batman: Dark Knight Returns display.  It's also damaged (the back/stand has come about half loose from the actual display).

"I was just looking at it, Daddy, but it broked," Curtis explains.

Your first question is why it committed suicide while he was looking at it, and he admits he might possibly have been looking with his fingers.  You then ask what he was doing in your library in the first place.  

"Parker and Sean told us to come with them, so we could help build Legos."

The display was a promo then, you bought it for about $12 nearly thirty years ago, and it's basically irreplaceable now.  It's also possibly repairable (and  you can tell it was getting pretty old).  The truth is, it's had a pretty good run for what it is.  Of course, the other side is that you only gave permission for Sean and Parker to be in your library, the boys know they shouldn't go in there, and shouldn't play with your stuff if they do.  Who's in trouble for this little lapse, and how much?

Last edited by Jack on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

David M. Katz

Marshall
I need to have a discussion with Sean and Parker. Did they know C and C were present? Did they try to evict them? Did they authorize C and C?

If C and C acted in stealth and on their own then they get spanked for being where they shouldn't be.

If the older boys are culpable in any way then sanctions which may include calling the library off limits, financial (token) restitution, and/or CP.

I need to do some sleuthing first.

db105

Trailboss
I have a question about the scenario. At some point it says:

Because stop motion takes so much time, they also got permission to set things up in your library (normally off limits because of the collectibles you keep displayed there.  Parker and Sean also get permission to ask their little brothers for help in building the Lego displays they'll need.

And later it says:

Of course, the other side is that you only gave permission for Sean and Parker to be in your library

Aren't the lego displays inside the library? If Parker and Sean have permission to ask their little brothers for help in building them, how can that possibly happen unless the little brothers come into the library? Are the lego displays supposed to be built outside the library, and then carried by Sean and Parker inside the library, with the little brothers remaining outside?

Anyway, this has been an accident, no matter how painful for me the damage is. When you have such a little boy among fragile and valuable things, something like this can happen. I won't punish for the accident.

I would punish, however, for disobedience. If the boys have done something they were forbidden from doing, and they disobeyed willingly and not through a misunderstanding, then I would punish the disobedient boys. I'm just not completely clear from the scenario description whether that's the case.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

ivor

Marshall
Like DB I'm a bit confused.

If the littlies have been asked to kelp by building models then it I only natural (and fair) that they should get to see them being filmed. But, as said, filming appears to be a long process which would explain why they got bored and then started looking round somewhere they're not normally allowed where there are lots of interesting things. Perhaps V&P should have engaged the services of a 'littlies minder' while filming....

In the circs and as the damage was freely admitted (more or less) I don't think there is need for any real consequences.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
db105 wrote:I have a question about the scenario. At some point it says:

Because stop motion takes so much time, they also got permission to set things up in your library (normally off limits because of the collectibles you keep displayed there.  Parker and Sean also get permission to ask their little brothers for help in building the Lego displays they'll need.

And later it says:

Of course, the other side is that you only gave permission for Sean and Parker to be in your library

Aren't the lego displays inside the library? If Parker and Sean have permission to ask their little brothers for help in building them, how can that possibly happen unless the little brothers come into the library? Are the lego displays supposed to be built outside the library, and then carried by Sean and Parker inside the library, with the little brothers remaining outside?

Most of the confusion seems to come from the same area, so let me clarify a bit - yes, the Lego sets were built over a number of days in the play room, on Legoboards (plywood with Lego mats affixed to the surface), then carried by the older boys into the library. Nothing was ever asked about the younger boys observing or helping during actual filming.

David - if you re-read the scenario, you'll see Curtis claims that Sean and Parker asked them (him and the other younger brothers) into the library.

Hope that helps.

db105

Trailboss
OK, with the extra explanations, it looks like if someone is in trouble, that would be Sean and Parker, since they asked all the little ones into the library without permission.

I would speak with them and find out why they acted that way. Maybe they mistakenly but honestly thought that the permission they had to ask their little brothers for help extended to that, and they did not realize the danger to valuable collection pieces. If that's the case, they still were irresponsible, but I would be inclined to be more lenient for bad judgment than for deliberate disobedience. Even so, they would not be completely off the hook, because they should have known the reason for that rule (I'm sure you must have explained it) and when they are given permission to use that library they should have been more responsible and responded to your trust with extra care for the valuable possessions kept there.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

squarecutter

Sherrif
I think DBs last answer about does it for me. May be they can turn their obvious skills to repairing the piecea nd any attendant costs might come from their pockets

David M. Katz

Marshall
Jack wrote:

David - if you re-read the scenario, you'll see Curtis claims that Sean and Parker asked them (him and the other younger brothers) into the library.

Hope that helps.

I still am not catching that C and C were supposed to be there. I guess I was thinking it was the older younger brothers and not the younger younger brothers.

For whatever reason my brain is not processing this one well and so I will stick with the original answer that I need to ask more questions and get more information. I do think there will be punishment but, if C and C were supposed to be there, then I am not sure they are the ones to be punished even if it was Connor who "broked" the display. Kids this age do seem to have to be able to look with their fingers.

Sean and Parker are my likely targets right now.

Jack

Admin
Maybe I should have made this into just one, longer BOTD, considering the number of answers.

I will wrap most of it up on the second part, but I wanted to say here that Curtis did not get in trouble. While the boys doing most of the work were the tweens, Sean and Parker had invited Connor, Ennis (Sean's 9 year old brother) and Curtis into the library so they wouldn't feel left out.

Curtis was reminded that we look with our eyes, not with our hands, and that this is exactly the reason why. He apologized, and I accepted.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum