a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

19 February 2017 - "Please!" A Jack Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jack

Admin
PLEASE!
A Jack Production

You work at home and needed to run up to the office supply to pick up a few things. Your 9-year old son, Jerry has just gotten home from school and begs to go with you. Jerry is very artistic, and he loves looking at the stuff. You explain to him that this is a quick trip, and that he won't be able to get anything. He says he wants to go just to look. You explain that you'll be in there (hopefully) less than ten minutes, and that if he goes with you, he can look, but not touch, and that he has to come as soon as you tell him you're ready.

"And you're not getting anything today," you remind him.

He still wants to go.

The two of you arrive at the office supply, and you walk him over to the art supplies, then show him where you'll be. You walk over and check to make sure you can see him, then you take care of your business. It doesn't take too long, and after about the ten minutes you estimated, you're ready to pay. You head back to the art section to collect your son.

"We're ready to go, Jerry."

"Hang on, Dad. Look at this."

You hadn't looked closely, but now you see he has something in his hands.

"Didn't I tell you no touching this trip?"

"But, Dad, they have those oil pastels like Mimi got for my birthday, and we couldn't find anymore. See! And they're not even expensive."

"That's good, Jerry, but I told you you weren't getting anything this time. Put them back, and maybe we can come back later. I need to go pay for these, so come on."

"But, Dad! What if they're out later."

"We'll come back when you get your allowance, Jerry. For now, I'm in a real hurry, and we need to go. Put them back."

Dad, PLEASE!"

JERRY - 9
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is the please asking for the pastels or a spanking?

AFinch

Sherrif
The parent in me says neither. We'll just go home, without the pastels. The pragmatic shopper who has regretted way too many times not buying something, and not being able to find it again later, says we'll buy the pastels. No part of me is giving a spanking unless when I say "No, we had an agreement, let's go", Jerry has a temper tantrum.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
Kier has said it all, I buy the pastels!

Iconoclast

18Smacked

Cowboy
I am with Kier on this one. I will remind him of the agreement that we had before we left the house, and hope (yes, maybe desperately!) that he will not have a fit when I try leaving the store without it.

If he has a sufficient allowance saved up that he can pay me back when we get home, I will front him the money to buy this right now. But that is going to be the only way I will leave the store with the pastels.

If he throws a tantrum, I will explain that not only will he end up getting a spanking if it goes on, but he will end up delaying our return to the store to buy them later. I will explain that his best course of action is not to have a tantrum, but quietly go home with me, and then, within 10 days (or whatever is a reasonable short length of time) we'll come back and get them.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Adric

Cowboy
AFinch wrote:... The pragmatic shopper who has regretted way too many times not buying something, and not being able to find it again later, says we'll buy the pastels. ...

I've had the same experience, and I know they are hard to find because we tried to find them once before and couldn't.  I may be a pushover on this issue but I'm buying the pastels.  We'll have a talk later to emphasize that I gave in only because of the possibility we would never find them again.  This may be a dangerous precedent but this time I'll take the risk.  Since I gave in, he won't have a tantrum so I don't have to consider what I would do if he did.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

David M. Katz

Marshall
Adric wrote:
AFinch wrote:... The pragmatic shopper who has regretted way too many times not buying something, and not being able to find it again later, says we'll buy the pastels. ...

I've had the same experience, and I know they are hard to find because we tried to find them once before and couldn't.  I may be a pushover on this issue but I'm buying the pastels.  We'll have a talk later to emphasize that I gave in only because of the possibility we would never find them again.  This may be a dangerous precedent but this time I'll take the risk.  Since I gave in, he won't have a tantrum so I don't have to consider what I would do if he did.

I'm stealing this answer and calling it my own. Cool

ivor

Marshall
Adric has summed it up perfectly for me.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

squarecutter

Sherrif
Pragmatic Dad reminds 9 year old of agreement., leads junior firmly by arm away to counter, pays for goods and leaves shop thus ending discussion if his son is sensible, You want to go on being manipulated by your son buy what he wants

Adric

Cowboy
squarecutter wrote:Pragmatic Dad reminds 9 year old of agreement., leads junior firmly by arm away to counter, pays for goods and leaves shop thus ending discussion if his son is sensible, You want to go on being manipulated by your son buy what he wants

No, "parent in me" is the one that leads Jerry away to checkout and takes him home, spanking if necessary if there is a tantrum. "Pragmatic shopper" is the one who realizes this could be the only chance and buys the pastels.

Maybe there is a middle ground. I take Jerry home first and then sneak back to the store soon afterward to buy the pastels before they disappear forever. I'd better hurry though, because experience tells me that things I intend to buy will be gone in a flash if I don't buy them when they are available.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

AFinch

Sherrif
If I had a penny for everything I've said I would by next time I was in the shop, never to see it there, or anywhere, again (or where I had to pay 3 times the price to find it on eBay or similar), I'd never have to worry about paying for theatre tickets again.

I'm buying the pastels, though perhaps not GIVING them to Jerry until some later time.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum