Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

On Spanking: Paddles

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
When spankos think of paddles, they usually associate them with the US, where paddles are not only the usual implement for school cp, but also have a history of domestic use. Those Americans who grew up in the mid-century era up through at least the 1980s will remember the age of the "novelty paddle". Novelty paddles were sold in the souvenir section of five-and-dime stores, as what could possibly be a better memento than a purpose-made spanking implement with crude artwork and a jokey comment on spanking?

In assessing the effects of a paddle, one must consider the material from which it's made and the dimensions, plus any refinements to the design.

Types of Paddles

School and Fraternity Paddles:
Teachers and administrators in elementary schools often used lightweight novelty paddles, so this section refers to the much heavier paddles used in secondary schools. There is a lot of variability in these paddles, but they have one thing in common: they're heavy enough to be felt, even through heavy denim jeans, and to cause maximum pain with a limited number of swats. Most are made of wood, though occasionally a Lexan or acrylic paddle turns up. When I was a kid, most of the teachers who paddled made their own. A paddle might be made of anything from pine to plywood or a piece of leftover hardwood.

A soft, lightweight wood such as pine is the most forgiving. A pine paddle allows educators to make something big and scary, but which usually does not cause bruising. A pine paddle stings a lot, but the effects are transitory.

Hardwood paddles hurt a lot more. The denser the grain of the wood, the more the paddle hurts. Oak is a common choice, as something readily available and relatively cheap. A swat with a hardwood paddle will sting but also create a burning sensation that tends to last a good while.

Plywood or laminated wood paddles are variable. Some are pretty lightweight but others are more lethal than hardwood paddles.

Lexan and acrylic paddles look similar, but the Lexan has a vicious sting. With Lexan, weight isn't necessary to penetrate through clothing. A light but penetrating paddle is unlikely to cause bruising.

The shape of the paddle makes a difference as well. A long, narrow paddle may look more innocuous than a wider, shorter paddle, but it will concentrate the force on a smaller area. This hurts more and usually is more likely to cause bruising. Of course, a very heavy, wide paddle can be very damaging as well. A 4 or 5-inch wide pine paddle hurts less than a 2 or 3-inch wide oak paddle. However, a 5-inch wide oak paddle will almost certainly leave those bulls-eye bruises on the buttocks.

I call bullshit on the myth that holes increase a paddle's effectiveness by minimizing air resistance -- at least when the paddling is done over clothes. Holes in a paddle can cause blisters or cutting when done on bare or lightly covered buttocks. Over normal clothes, holes don't make a perceivable distance. They do look scary, though.

Another myth is that covering a paddle in tape makes it hurt worse. I can't tell a difference. Taping the handle, however, probably does give the paddler a better grip.

One nasty trick that may or may not be a myth is embedding weights in the tip of a paddle. I've no experience with a paddle modified in this way.

The victim will hear before he feels a typical school style swat. The contact makes a loud noise, after which the victim is aware of the impact. For a split second, there's no perception of pain. However, pain follows rapidly. The pain is a spreading sensation of heat and sting. There is a cumulative effect, with each swat that follows becoming much more painful. Swats across the crests of the buttocks are, in my opinion, easiest to absorb. Swats that are low and delivered with an upswing can literally lift the victim off the floor. High licks are painful in the wrong sort of way and very dangerous.

A good swat should land crisply. Sometimes a swat lands with a thud, and that's painful in the wrong sort of way, feeling more like a punch.

Novelty Paddles: These are no longer commonplace, though people can easily create home versions of them from 1/4-inch, 3-8-inch or 1/2-inch blanks of wood found in home improvement or woodworking stores. The thinner versions of these were more likely to be made of oak, while the 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch varieties were more likely to be cedar or pine. The small ones were usually around 12-inches in length, and perhaps 2-inches in width. Applied to bare buttocks, they sting like hell but have little mass for causing bruising. The bigger versions sting also but have a lot longer-lasting effects. They are appropriate for school style swats, though without the same level of protective clothing. The thicker paddles have the same sort of limitations as school paddles: they limit number of swats, though one can compensate somewhat by using much less force than is used with a school paddling. The cumulative effect of many light swats is usually much more devastating than the harsh but quickly over punishment of a school paddling. The build up of sting is devastating.

Repurposed Paddles: This includes toys, such as 'flyback' paddles and Jokari paddles, or wooden spatulas. Most of these are very lightweight and cause a lot of superficial sting. The round shape of the flyback paddles spreads the impact out, making it a fairly gentle implement; however, some that are made of 7-layer plywood can be remarkably painful. Wooden spatulas vary by type of wood and thickness. Most of them are fairly gentle, but some have the weight of hairbrushes. This means they not only sting, but hit with enough force to have 'thud' as well. The sting from heavier ones is likely to be penetrating, long-lasting and to leave residual soreness. Bruising is possible if one doesn't use them with care.

Jokari paddles come in more than one style. The ones with longer handles tend to be lighter weight and have a lot of sting. The heavier ones have tremendous impact and should be considered in the same category as school paddles. They are unsuitable for use on unprotected buttocks.

Leather Paddles: These can be either round or rectangular in shape. The rectangular ones differ from straps in that they are wider and less flexible. They often have a lightweight metal core as a stiffener between the layers of leather. Some of the rectangular ones might be felt through clothes, but in general, leather paddles are best used on bare skin. Leather creates a different sensation than wood. Where thin hardwood paddles tends to sting on bare skin, leather creates a much more burning sensation that lasts far longer than the sting of wood. Once the immediate effects wear off, the victim will feel a sensation of irritation and tenderness that is not unlike a sunburn. Leather can bruise, but it's less prone to causing bruises than wood.

Kat

2 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 pm

18Smacked

Cowboy
Novelty paddles can often be found on EBay in the States. Historical authenticity may be questionable, though.

One omission I noted in the generally fine discussion above:

Rubber Paddles: Produce incredible sting and even a burn effect on bare buttocks. They move on impact and "fold onto" the skin, making for dramatic impact with a "flick of the wrist." Perhaps some readers here more familiar than me can add more about the effect of a rubber paddle. I suspect they would also make a "sunburn" type issue, but I have no direct knowledge.

Also, another important effect of any paddle is the sound produced on impact with whatever target is presented. The noise on impact is a dramatic effect that will greatly enhance the sting and burn of a paddling.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

3 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Jack

Admin
Thanks for the information, Kat.

I was actually not familiar with rubber paddles, but they apparently offer them for sale at Paddlewerks: https://paddlewerks.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Rubber

And while this already has it's own thread (somewhere), I thought it would be interesting to share this picture, which shows the large variety of Jokari paddles available.

and this one as well, which shows some of the common novelty paddles (and in the 70 and 80s, these things could be found all over the place - I remember Stevie and I found some at a roadside gas station in 1990)

4 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat,

Do you have a personal preference when it comes to paddles?

5 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
David M. Katz wrote:Kat,

I like school style paddlings, though they are self-limiting. Even for a dedicated spanko like me, ten is the limit before the damage is too much to continue. My current favorite is 1/2-inch mesquite (actually looks to me closer to 3/8-inch but stock was sold as 1/2-inch) paddle. It has plenty of authority, as mesquite is a dense, close-grained wood. It's not massive, though, which means more swats. Very Happy

Kat

6 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:37 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Kat wrote:

My current favorite is 1/2-inch mesquite (actually looks to me closer to 3/8-inch but stock was sold as 1/2-inch) paddle. It has plenty of authority, as mesquite is a dense, close-grained wood.

Razz And . . . when you are ready to get rid of it just chunk it up and throw it in with your coals for some very tasty steaks. jocolor

Thanks for sharing. The only issue I see with the school-boy style is the loss of intimacy.

7 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Adric

Cowboy
Kat wrote:

I like school style paddlings, though they are self-limiting. Even for a dedicated spanko like me, ten is the limit before the damage is too much to continue. My current favorite is 1/2-inch mesquite (actually looks to me closer to 3/8-inch but stock was sold as 1/2-inch) paddle. It has plenty of authority, as mesquite is a dense, close-grained wood. It's not massive, though, which means more swats. Very Happy

Kat

I like school style paddlings too, but like you said they are self-limiting since the object of a school paddling is to get the most amount of "punishment" from the fewest number of licks.  The spanking is over with too soon.  I'd rather have a paddling that is strung out over time with lots of licks and lots of discussion in between licks.  My favorite is this one that I bought at a Stuckeys a very long time ago:

I realize it is a bit juvenile for an older boy like me, but the inscription was the least embarrassing one I could find (and they had a big selection).  It's made of a light wood, maybe pine, so you can use if for a long time before damage becomes an issue.  I admit it is the most gentle of any paddles I own, but that just means I can play for a long time before I have to start begging for mercy. Twisted Evil

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

8 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

jackson1

Wrangler
Know a family that has one of those novelty "attitude adjuster" paddles
that is used for discipline.

9 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 pm

db105

Trailboss
Thanks for the article!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

10 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Mon May 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Jack

Admin
I found this while doing a little research, and I thought it might interest some of you.

Paddles and Straps.

11 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Jack

Admin
And then I found this neat article about Wood for Paddles

12 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Thu May 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Adric

Cowboy
Interesting classifications.  Most of those higher-impact woods I have never heard of.

Here's another one of mine

Zebra Wood.  16" long, 3½" wide, ½" thick.  Advertised as a "Frat Paddle"  Purchased from a shop in Houston, TX around 10 years ago.  Nice grain pattern.  Much more serious toy than the "Attitude Adjuster" posted earlier.

Last edited by Adric on Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

13 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 am

Jack

Admin
I would like Kat's opinion, but I would not consider this a Frat paddle. This is honestly fairly close to a lot of the paddles I saw used when teaching middle schools. Not that there are any official sizes, but most Frat paddles I've seen have been closer to two feet and three to four inches wide.

14 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Jack wrote:I would like Kat's opinion, but I would not consider this a Frat paddle.  This is honestly fairly close to a lot of the paddles I saw used when teaching middle schools. Not that there are any official sizes, but most Frat paddles I've seen have been closer to two feet and three to four inches wide.

I suppose the maker can call it whatever he likes, but frat paddles are typically both longer and wider. Some of them -- particularly the older ones -- are functional as paddles. However, some are sold to be decorated and designed for hanging. Michael's, for instance, sells (or did sell) a fraternity paddle. It's ridiculously over-sized, and the routing around the edge leaves one side flat for hanging. I've seen others with elaborate protrusions from the handles, as well.

Probably, the maker is calling it a fraternity paddle to indicate it's more severe. The zebra wood is beautiful, but I'd guess it's a whole 'nother ballpark than the pine or cedar of a novelty paddle.

Kat

15 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
Kat wrote:
Jack wrote:I would like Kat's opinion, but I would not consider this a Frat paddle.  This is honestly fairly close to a lot of the paddles I saw used when teaching middle schools. Not that there are any official sizes, but most Frat paddles I've seen have been closer to two feet and three to four inches wide.

I suppose the maker can call it whatever he likes, but frat paddles are typically both longer and wider. Some of them -- particularly the older ones -- are functional as paddles. However, some are sold to be decorated and designed for hanging. Michael's, for instance, sells (or did sell) a fraternity paddle. It's ridiculously over-sized, and the routing around the edge leaves one side flat for hanging. I've seen others with elaborate protrusions from the handles, as well.

Probably, the maker is calling it a fraternity paddle to indicate it's more severe. The zebra wood is beautiful, but I'd guess it's a whole 'nother ballpark than the pine or cedar of a novelty paddle.

Kat

It's dense, splintery, and tough on blades, so I can't imagine it's any easier on boys (or adult boys).  It IS beautiful, but a genuine PITA to work with.

16 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Sat May 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Beaver

Wrangler
The only paddle I own is made of ash wood. Just as Adric's Zebra one, it is 16" long. I posted a picture today in chat. Here it is:

Any idea where ash should be rated with respect to the ouch factor? It's definitely on the sturdier side, I would say. The article you posted, Jack, was very informative!

Last edited by Beaver on Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Beaver

17 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
Beaver wrote:Any idea where ash should be rated with respect to the ouch factor? It's definitely on the sturdier side, I would say. The article you posted, Jack, was very informative!

Ash is one of the woods traditionally used for baseball bats. It's quite hard and solid. It's high on the ouch factor scale.

Kat

18 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Sun May 21, 2017 1:34 am

Journey

Greenhorn
This is really interesting. You know, I didn't grow up in the States, so I don't really know anyone who got whacked with a paddle growing up. I also had no idea what Jokari paddles were until I realized they were paddleballs.

What's the difference between Jokari paddles and table tennis paddles though? Are Jokari paddles heavier?

19 Re: On Spanking: Paddles on Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 am

Jack

Admin
There are numerous differences - weight is probably chief amongst them.

I found these to help clarify (both are thumbnails, so click on either to get an expanded view):

Both the markings are in centimeters. It's a bit hard, since the plans for the ping pong paddle specify the blade, while the Jokari is the entire length, but you can see that the Jokari is nearly twice as big as the ping pong/table tennis paddle/bat. Further, from the information I could find, a ping pong paddle is less than a quarter pound, while a Jokari paddle is closer to two pounds!

Of course, a third problem is that ping pong paddles have coverings. I know that taking the rubber off a new paddle can be extremely difficult, though it does seem to happen with age and use (I had one friend, when I was growing up, who had a table in his garage. Old paddles were recycled for use on the boys). While I've never done it, I'd imagine the texture of different types of paddles could provide an area of study.

20 Paddles. on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Zyngaru

Kid
I have two paddles.  I purchased both of them from Paddlewerks.

They are both lexan paddles.  Often called the bulletproof paddle.

The bottom one is 3/8 inches thick and the top one is 1/4 inch thick.

The top lexan sends fire and sting with little to no bruising.  It is flexible and smooth so it applies it's sting to the skin of the buttocks.  You get very red in little time and you do not have to strike very hard.

The bottom one is thicker, so less flexible, so it sends fire like the thin lexan, but also gives that thump that the wood paddle can give by giving some force to the muscles like a wood paddle.  

I am seriously thinking of purchasing a rubber paddle, because I have heard good things about them.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum