a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 3/18/17 "Love For Animals" An 18Smacked Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

David M. Katz

Marshall
Love for Animals
An 18Smacked Production

This is 13 year-old Barry, a budding veterinarian. You want to encourage his aspirations, and have allowed him to bring home a regular menagerie of injured or rescued animals that he has taken from the wilds of the woods and field across the street, and your backyard.

Barry - 13
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

His latest venture was to take in some baby birds that seemed to be abandoned by their mother. Not knowing what to do with baby birds, you took them to the Dept. of Natural Resources but the agency could not take them in and said, if they did take the birds off of your hands, that the creatures would be euthanized. Barry was having no part of that and begged you to allow him to care for the birds.

You were told that to provide the birds with proper care until they were mature enough to fend for themselves would take about 6 to 8 weeks time. This would require feeding from an eyedropper every two hours, day and night. Barry said that he would take care of the birds.  Luckily school was out for the summer break.

Needless to say, even though Barry enlisted Jackson, his ten-year old brother, to help in this endeavor, their sleeping suffered, and while you tried helping them out, this ended up being a huge imposition on the entire family. Anyhow, the birds made it and were able to be reintroduced to the wild.

Jackson - 10

After the baby bird fiasco, you told Barry he could no longer bring home injured and abandoned animals. Barry argued this point with you but you stood firm.  No more animals.  Jackson is also aware of the prohibition.

Today, Barry was out with your spouse for a dental appointment and you happened to see Jackson slipping out of his brother's room.  You ask Jackson what he is doing coming out of his brother's room.  "He needed me to do something," the younger boy stammers.

You are curious, "What does Barry need you to do in his room?"

Jackson gets quiet and then blurts out, "I needed to feed his squirrel. He asked me to do it since he is at the dentist and she has to eat on schedule."

"What squirrel?"

Reluctantly, Jackson leads you in to Barry's room where you see a baby squirrel being housed in an old aquarium full of wood shavings. As you and your spouse rarely, if ever, venture in to the mine field that is your older son's room, you had no idea he had brought in another creature.

What happens when Barry gets home?  Is Jackson in trouble? What happens to the squirrel?

David M. Katz

Marshall
I think I was burned by the baby bird fiasco and didn't balance out what different creatures might need.

Barry and I will talk. The NEW rule is that he has to ask first and do some research on the creature's needs. If care can be given then the animal can stay. If care is going to be an imposition on the boys or the family then other arrangements will need to be made. Yes, Barry did disobey but . . . . (I'm a softie.)

Jackson is not in trouble

As the squirrel has not been a problem then she can stay until able to be released. (Softie, remember.)

AFinch

Sherrif
K Club. I like most animals better than most people.

Iconoclast

Trailboss
David M. Katz wrote:I think I was burned by the baby bird fiasco and didn't balance out what different creatures might need.

Barry and I will talk.  The NEW rule is that he has to ask first and do some research on the creature's needs.  If care can be given then the animal can stay. If care is going to be an imposition on the boys or the family then other arrangements will need to be made. Yes, Barry did disobey but . . . . (I'm a softie.)

Jackson is not in trouble

As the squirrel has not been a problem then she can stay until able to be released. (Softie, remember.)

I agree!

Iconoclast

Jack

Admin
First of all, I should have researched all this before allowing Barry to start. What he's doing is basically illegal (wildlife rehabilitators are licensed to be sure they're properly trained).

Second, you're not supposed to keep wild animals by themselves. This squirrel should have been sent to someone else, so it could have been raised as part of a group.

Third, I had a very specific reason for making this decision. Without knowing how long the squirrel has been here, it's hard to say anything specific, except that Barry disobeyed me.

I am willing to unbend my previous decision enough to say that he can help any animal that doesn't require more care than he can provide without major disruption of the household (and without violating the laws), but he's going to have to talk long and hard to keep me from warming his rear for him - not a barn burner, but he's going to be feeling it.

As for Jackson - he and I need to have a talk. I understand him wanting to help his big brother, but I also want him to understand there are times he needs to come to me. This is a good time for us to talk about really bad behavior and helping versus snitching. I won't spank him for helping his brother, though.

ivor

Marshall
Answering this one in UK terms it is almost certain that the squirrel would be of the grey variety rather than red. They are classed as vermin and it is thus illegal to release them back to the wild.

Barry has thus, albeit unwittingly I expect, created a long term problem as I doubt many rescue organisations would be willing to take it from us.

So, I'm about to go nuts.....

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

Jack

Admin
ivor wrote:So, I'm about to go nuts.....

At least that will be a good food source for the baby.

In this part of Texas, most of ours are fox squirrels.

StevieWeeks

Trailboss

Squirrel, Squirrel, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

(Apologies to William Blake)

(Boring, pedantic aside - when Blake wrote this, 'eye' and 'symmetry' actually did rhyme and all)

(Stevie is sorry for butting in where he's not wanted)

Last edited by StevieWeeks on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am; edited 3 times in total

MemoryMan

Sherrif
ivor wrote:Answering this one in UK terms it is almost certain that the squirrel would be of the grey variety rather than red. They are classed as vermin and it is thus illegal to release them back to the wild.

Barry has thus, albeit unwittingly I expect, created a long term problem as I doubt many rescue organisations would be willing to take it from us.

So, I'm about to go nuts.....

Laughing Laughing Me too

However since (for the purpose of this story) Trump is graciously allowing me to contribute to the US economy I'll take out a subscription to the K Club.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum