Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Jack

Admin
"Damn it, Dad," your twelve-year old son, Grant, mumbles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Excuse me?".

"Sorry, but we're already more than 30 minutes late." Grant replies, and leans back.

"You'd best watch your mouth, if you don't want to find out what your grandpa did when your uncles and I couldn't behave in the car.

"I just wish you weren't such an (effing) Luddite," he adds, barely above a whisper.

"What did you just say?" you demand.

"Just give me the address, Dad. I'll put it in my phone, and we'll get there while something's still going on."

What time is it now, Dad?

2 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:24 pm

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Spanking time...

3 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:00 pm

18Smacked

Cowboy
In this scenario, Grant isn't respecting his father at all. This is particularly egregious as the father is busy driving his son to some sort pf party or get-together.

I think it is time to turn the car around and take my son up to his bedroom for a little correction on his bare bottom. The boy has certainly forfeited his chance of my extending myself for his benefit.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

4 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
A lot is not clear -- the most important of which is why we are late.  It is also not clear if is an event for both of us or just for Grant.

Grant’s requesting the address implies that we are heading for not a place we familiar with and we are lost.  It also suggest that he is managing to control his displeasure and lost of patience with me for not using modern methods of getting directions.

It is probably past time to give in and get some directions.  Either they well help getting us to out destination more quickly or will prove to my doubting son that his old man was doing it right.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

5 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
I need more information.

While Grant's lack of respect, or at least common courtesy, is egregious, it would be helpful to know the circumstances. It sounds like some event/affair that is of particular interest to him and not of so much interest to me, in which case I think we can just go home and miss whatever special time he was anticipating.

OTOH, maybe I AM that much of a Luddite (though I've used in car GPS supplemented with Waze or equivalent since before Grant was born, so I doubt it.

Probably I'm going to pull over and demand an apology which will be given sincerely or we're going straight home. If so, I'll let Grant input the address into his (or my) phone so we can arrive wherever we were supposed to be in a reasonably timely fashion. Adult males refusing to ask for directions, even when their clearly lost, is a longstanding trope of fiction, be it literature, film, or TV.

6 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:39 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
AFinch wrote:I need more information.

While Grant's lack of respect, or at least common courtesy, is egregious, it would be helpful to know the circumstances.  It sounds like some event/affair that is of particular interest to him and not of so much interest to me, in which case I think we can just go home and miss whatever special time he was anticipating.

OTOH, maybe I AM that much of a Luddite (though I've used in car GPS supplemented with Waze or equivalent since before Grant was born, so I doubt it.

Probably I'm going to pull over and demand an apology which will be given sincerely or we're going straight home.   If so, I'll let Grant input the address into his (or my) phone so we can arrive wherever we were supposed to be in a reasonably timely fashion.  Adult males refusing to ask for directions, even when their clearly lost, is a longstanding trope of fiction, be it literature, film, or TV.

Yeah. What he said.

7 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 am

squarecutter

Sherrif
May be I should try letting my son navigate dare I say by reading the map book. This suggests he just said "effing" rather than dropping the F bomb which I might understand from a 12 year old if we were late for something he was keen to see /do however being me I will let him know he is on last warning to show some respect or we turn round.Actually if I m struggling it might help if he did put the address into a device and swallow some pride, So how much of a luddite am I.

In real life I find Satnav useful

8 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:28 am

ivor

Marshall
I accept satnavs are extremely useful for finding actual addresses, I don't think they are at all necessary to find a route from a to b. In some ways they could even be considered a distraction.

In this scenario we are evidently trying to go to a specific location that neither of us know, although seemingly I thought I did. Perhaps I should have ascertained how to get there before setting out?

As I am undoubtedly frustrated by the situation Grant is in trouble. Is there a convenient lay-by/rest area ahead?

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

9 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:05 am

Jack

Admin
Sorry, I thought I'd do one that was quick and easy, but apparently that was a bad idea.

1) Yes, this is someplace you've not been before. You got directions from someone, but they apparently weren't accurate (or you wrote them down wrong or just can't follow them). No, as the scenario says, you do NOT use GPS. You can get there without asking directions, darn it!

2) No, the reason (effing) is in parenthesis is the same reason Ralphie was shown to say "Fudge!" We're trying to be polite here.

3) This was loosely inspired by something I read lately. In it, the boy was being dragged to something Dad wanted to do, while the boy just wanted to be home, hanging with his friends. Maybe the boy will enjoy it when you get there. If you get there.

10 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
What time is it now, Dad?

"Look at the damned dashboard clock"

Two stressed individuals, in a car, in traffic, late, lost and getting frustrated with each other.

One is in a position of power but if he blows up the outcome is unlikely to be fair.

Nevertheless I must congratulate the 12yo American boy for being so au fait with English history that he is able to use the term Luddite in an appropriate way.  (even though it may well get him spanked.)

Personally I find satnav useful for finding addresses.  I prefer not to use it for longer journeys since it takes me to my destination without me really knowing where I've visited on the way.  Nevertheless I always set my destination without necessarily following the proposed route.  Why? Because it alerts me to congestion ahead and reroutes me without having to find a safe spot to pull in to consult the map.

Another advantage is that when I divert (usually to explore) I am kept aware of where I am in relation to my destination.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

11 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
I'm giving the kid a break. He's frustrated, we're late, and there is no need for both our tempers to boil over. A stern warning about being respectful, combined with a gracious acceptance of his help, will be my response.

Kat

12 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 am

db105

Trailboss
I tend to agree with Kat. A talk or warning and trying to diffuse the situation is better than making a big deal of the frustrated words of a tween boy. The problem is what to do if that is ineffective. In that case a spanking is warranted.

In any case, have we really been lost for 30 minutes? If so, the kid has a point. Just use the effing Google Maps. It's not fair to make him sit there for so long just because I refuse to use the obvious solution.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

13 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
Stevie does not use GPS...

For what reason, you may ask?

'Sammy' pays first visit to my house while I was living in Oshawa...

She asks for directions... I email precise and uncomplicated directions along with a map upon which the route is mapped out in yellow...

Husband buys her a GPS unit for her car... seems that following my directions is too complicated...

On the day, she is very late...

Eventually, I get a telephone call...

I'm at the lake and can't go any further... (At least she had the sense to stop... apparently some people don't stop at this point)

At the lake... didn't you turn LEFT on Park Street when you got off the 401?  (This exit is now nonexistent, by the way)

No, Stevie, my GPS told me to turn RIGHT... your directions must be wrong...

At this point I have a long discussion with 'Sammy' during which I managed to persuade her that my directions were right and the GPS is, indeed, wrong...

Eventually, I get her turned around and she arrives at my house...

This has happened on more than one occasion to her. I also believe that blindly following a GPS has caused deaths before now...

Stevie can follow a map and all...

14 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Jack

Admin
db105 wrote:I tend to agree with Kat. A talk or warning and trying to diffuse the situation is better than making a big deal of the frustrated words of a tween boy. The problem is what to do if that is ineffective. In that case a spanking is warranted.

In any case, have we really been lost for 30 minutes? If so, the kid has a point. Just use the effing Google Maps. It's not fair to make him sit there for so long just because I refuse to use the obvious solution.

So do I.  The real problem is, why am I not using Google maps or a GPS.  While Stevie does have a point (I have had one time when things were simply wrong, and another time when the map hadn't been updated.  On the other hand, I've used it dozens of times.  

I like to think I'd remind the kid about his language and being respectful, and warn him that, while we'll have to wait until we get home to soap his mouth, I'd be more than happy to spank his butt here and now, if he really needs it.  At that point, if he acts vaguely sorry, I should back off, give him the address, and see how things go.

PS - I once gave my grandfather very clear directions on how to reach my apartment.

"Is it (whatever) Street or (whatever) Road."

" I don't know, Grandpa. It's just (whatever). It's right here, just before these landmarks."

He insisted that he needed to know. I repeated I wasn't sure, and finally told him I thought it was road.

He assured me he was leaving right away.

Forty minutes later he called to say he'd passed (whatever) Street, but he hadn't seen (whatever) road, and my directions sucked ass.

Another time, I gave directions that included, "take that exit, go straight through the traffic light, then turn right at the stop sign." They called me from a store on the road and said they'd turned right at the traffic light and were lost.

So yeah, GPS ain't the only one who can (eff) up directions.

15 Re: 24 April 2017 - Making You Pull Over on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm

squarecutter

Sherrif
Mostly I dont have difficulty finding a town without directions. It is when finding a location within a town you dont know well that Satnav comes into its own. Sports grounds, village cricket clubs where you want the exact road etc

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum