Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

30 April 2017 - Remodeling

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 30 April 2017 - Remodeling on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Jack

Admin
The longer this (site/forum/blog) goes on, the harder it is for me to keep everything updated. There are a lot of reasons for that.

Part of it is because I had no idea where things would go when I started it. If I had any idea that, eight years after I started, I would have fourteen (?) more kids than I had back then, not to mention all the new friends we've made, I think I would have started off on a slightly different foot. For that matter, if I'd know the things that would really interest people, I might well have not started it when I did, so I could try to have a better handle on it all. Instead, things have grown and evolved with demand, and as I had time.

And that's just considering things here, not including the events in real life that keep me busy, or just not in the mood to sit in front of a computer and write.

Leti probably has a pretty good idea of how many stories I've promised, much less just mentioned, that were never finished. I've spent nearly two weeks trying to write up the BOTD I posted two weeks ago.

That means that sometimes things may get missed. It means that sometimes I may go a while without posting, then try to catch up. And honestly, sometimes things happen that I just don't feel like discussing. We all know kids get sick, but when I've just gotten my two little (and their bedding and bathroom) cleaned up and settled back down, it's not something I want to come back and blog about (no, that didn't happen recently, but it did happen). I may mention that someone got sick, or I may just say something in chat, but it might not get mentioned at all.

With all that in mind, let me discuss the biggest things that are going on these days.

I think it was at the end of March (four or five weeks ago, but maybe just three), we had a bad thunderstorm come through. It ripped the fiberglass roof off of our covered parking. Since Mr. Mintz does that kind of work, I contacted him. We did the basic clean up after he got a good look at it (not like he hadn't seen it before, but it's not the same thing). He brought a team out and really fixed it up.

He expanded it and put a concrete floor down so it was more just part of the driveway. It's now cinder block walls with brick facing, a cedar roof, and he put the honeysuckle onto it's own trellis, though it's still supported by the wall. I was hoping to make it big enough for ten cars, but that would have cut off some of our play fields - we can now cover eight though, which is honestly more than enough, since we don't usually have bad thunderstorms when the college kids are home (mostly spring and fall around here).

While Mr. Mintz was here, we were talking in the kitchen, and I made a complaint or two. We got to talking, and he made a few suggestions, and we're now at the point where my kitchen, utility room, and pantry are going to be remodeled while the kids are at camp (mid-June).

My tile is still fine, though we will probably end up replacing some where the major appliances have stood for the last seventeen years! I have also decided to replace all the major appliances, except the washer and dryer, which are only a couple of years old. He and I have done some shopping, and I'll actually have room to upgrade a bit, giving more storage space with the freezers and fridge. The biggest thing is that he's going to install some organizers and storage devices that should really increase my space. He's going to do the same thing with the storage closets downstairs, but those won't be quite such a big deal.

Mrs. Mintz is doing a lot of the shopping for the organizers. Mr. Mintz wasn't too crazy about that, since it means most of is profit from this job will be going into his cabinets at home.

As long as we're pulling out the major appliances, the maid service will be coming in to do a world class cleaning, and then it'll be repainted as well. And yes, this sounds horrible, but I'm seriously considering apricot with kumquat trim. My cabinets are in a light wood that shows some grain (golden oak?) and I want to say the countertops are antique brown (granite and dark, but not black). The only problem with this idea is that it seems hard to find major appliances in anything but black, white, or steel.

And thoughts of remodeling make me think of where I'm putting all the boys coming home for summer, but that's a problem for another topic.

2 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:49 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Yikes that's all I gotta say to the remodel but good luck! Sounds like it will be nice though when finished

I just bought all new platinum (I think that's what it's called .. it's a little darker than the stainless steel and I love them with kids you don't see all the marks) appliances and did little remodel myself but the remodel was to the pool/ guest house

Hugs kal

3 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 pm

AFinch

Sherrif
There is a company called Blue Star that does ranges and ovens in a myriad of colors, including shades of apricot. Take a look at their website. They're made in America (PA), and I was strongly considering them for my house, except that, despite the factory being two hours from my home, service would have been unobtainable here. I'm pretty sure that is not the case where you are (it wouldn't have been an issue in San Diego). Otherwise, I think you're right--black, white, or stainless, and sometimes now "black stainless". Feel free to e-mail or PM is you have questions about this stuff, since I just did the leg work last year when I did my own kitchen remodel.

4 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling on Mon May 01, 2017 4:09 am

Jack

Admin
I just looked at their site, and it was exactly what I was seeking. Now I just have to decide what color appliances would go well with that color scheme, without sticking me with it eternally.

5 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling Yesterday at 4:34 am

Jack

Admin
Well, my kitchen is pretty well useless over the next few days.

Mostly due to our high humidity recently, things weren't drying on schedule. Right now, most of my my old appliances are gone. Everything is shiny clean, the damaged tiles have been replaced, everything is painted (and the paint looks as good as I'd hoped), and the new appliances await their installment. Mr. M talked about coming in today, but I told him just to wait until Monday - with most of the kids gone, we can survive one weekend on fast food, sandwiches, and the grill.

After I posted this, I decided to have them clean and paint the living and dining rooms as well. Those three big rooms are really the only places that haven't had at least one major session since we've been here (about 17 years now!). Those rooms weren't as hard. They moved the furniture, we used a rental to clean the carpet in those areas that never see light, then they covered everything and painted. We used a very slightly off-white for the living room, and an ecru for the dining room, which is a bit darker with a lot of rustic brown furniture. The dining room is sealed, and they did the living room first, so it's mostly dry already, but we're still staying away from the walls (and they took up all the plastic, so we can move around easily enough).

The only problem so far is that the curtains and cushions in the breakfast nook and the kitchen stools don't really match anymore, so I'm having to find something that will go there. I actually like the breakfast nook without the curtains, and the patio gives enough shade I don't think we need them to keep the sun out, so I might wait before replacing those.

Anyway, it certainly seems much fresher, and I can't wait to get the kitchen finished (neither can Ryan and Noah, and it's a good thing Kenny isn't home right now).

6 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling Yesterday at 10:30 am

kalico

Sherrif
Sounds like everything is coming together nicely and enjoy it when it's all done....

I bet the boy chefs can't wait to get into the new kitchen with all the new appliances... hope they make you something yummy....

Hugs kal

7 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling Yesterday at 12:30 pm

LLALVA

Trailboss
Great that it is going good and the kitchen will be back in place when Kenny comes back!

A little uncomfortable to be with out the actual kitchen , but I guess that you would survive with out starving for a week.

Good idea to paint the rest.

Now you need to change pillows and curtains.

Hugs

Leti

8 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling Yesterday at 4:36 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
There's nothing like a fresh coat of paint to make a house feel like new.

9 Re: 30 April 2017 - Remodeling Yesterday at 5:06 pm

Jack

Admin
LLALVA wrote:A little uncomfortable to be with out the actual kitchen , but I guess that you would survive with out starving for a week.

We had use of it until Thursday... More or less.

We'll have it back by Monday evening.

Last night, we grilled, and hit the grocery store for sides. This morning, we all met at Denny's, since everyone needed to get their littles back. For lunch, we just had sandwiches. I sent some kids back to the store, and we're having rotisserie chicken for dinner. I'm sure we'll do something similar tomorrow, or the boys can always grab fast food.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum