a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

BOTD 06-29-2017 The WIzard Lizard - An Ivor Production

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Skater

Bransom Postmaster
The Wizard Lizard
An Ivor Production
You have been appointed Deputy Consul to the US Embassy somewhere tropical but where there is sufficient US presence to justify a local US school. The posting is going to last for two years and thus you have moved there with your spouse and 14 year old son Lance.

Your spouse is not too keen on the move as she is not fond of creepy crawlies and other little animals that exist in such places, but has agreed to go to support you.

The house you are living in while there has a pool which is much used by the three of you. Today only your son is using it and when you come out to take a dip yourself you see Lance with a new friend:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lance asks if he can keep it as a pet.You tell him 'no way' and that he had best make sure that his Mom doesn't see it, but at that moment she also emerges for a swim, sees the lizard, screams and runs back into the house. You go off to calm her down and when you return neither Lance nor the lizard are to be seen.

A couple of evenings later your spouse goes into Lance's bedroom and immediately emits a loud scream before running downstairs. She has found the lizard in his room.

Are you going to paddle him for bringing it into the house against your instructions, or are you going to accept his defence that his Mom is supposed to knock before entering his room?

AFinch

Sherrif
I'm not a fan of reptiles.

That said, his mother IS supposed to knock before entering. But, he DID ask, and I DID tell him "No way" to his request for keeping the creature as a pet.

I'm inclined to talk to Lance, and to my spouse, and see whether some sort of accommodation can be made. It is, supposedly, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I don't see this as a situation for CP--either we'll find a conditional way for Lance to keep his friend, or he'll have to give him up. Either way, his bottom will remain white.

18Smacked

Cowboy
I am inclined to agree with Kier regarding seeing a workable situation here. However, I do have a concern regarding the reptile; many of them are loaded with a number of very nasty bacteria, and a bite from one of them, if the skin is broken, can be very dangerous. If Lance is allowed to keep this creature, (in a cage, in a place outside of the house) then he will be required to wash his hands thoroughly at all times after handling it, and must definitely agree to report and show me any and all bites that may occur- because of the extreme dangers.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
I made a tactical error with a quick “No.” to the pet question.

There are many question that need answers first.  Is it legal?  Is the critter safe (as in non-venomous and not a disease vector)?  Can you care for it (proper food etc.)?  Can it survive and thrive in captivity?  Is it likely to have responsibilities such as young to care for?  Does Lance understand the responsibilities he is encurring and accept them?

Should it be OK to keep, then how to house the critter outside so that Mom is not under stress.

Only after all the above have satisfactory answers can we make a rational cooperative decision that we all can accept.  That means that Lance does not have to rebel over this.

And sure Mom is suppose to knock but only when Lance is home.  What would have happened she went into his room and saw the horrid beast and panicked?

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

StevieWeeks

Trailboss
If you think my posts are disrespectful then don't click on this and all...:
Get rid of the mother and keep the lizard... it's probably better tempered anyway...

db105

Trailboss
One should knock before opening the closed door of someone else's bedroom, unless one knows the owner is not there. However, the complaint that his mom should have knocked is irrelevant for the purpose of the scenario, unless the animal is kept caged and out of sight whenever Lance is not there and it's only allowed out when Lance is in the room, behind closed doors. If that's the case, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to allow that.

Be that as it may, Lance has disobeyed. I sympathize to a certain extent. Teenagers are so powerless against the sometimes arbitrary decisions of their parents... If having a pet like that is something Lance really wanted then my casual refusal must have been frustrating.

Perhaps we should all have a discussion about the problem that keeping such a pet represents when someone in the family has a phobia. Depending on how strong that phobia is and how much freedom the animal requires, we may be able to find a solution that respects everyone's fears and wishes. If not, the pet will have to go.

Then, if Lance is not too upset after the decision,  I'll mention to him that it's time for his paddling for disobeying Twisted Evil

I'll let him convince me to give him one more chance.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Kat

Editor Extraordinaire
The lizard is going back to the wild where it belongs, and I hope that will be the end of the matter. If Lance must have a reptile, we'll look into purchasing one and all the necessary paraphernalia to go along with it. I think, on the whole, though, I'll try to sell him on a cat. No paddling unless that thing makes a reappearance.

Kat

MemoryMan

Sherrif
Think I'll start a "Y" club

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

squarecutter

Sherrif
I go with Kier. An ambassadorial residence also probably comes with a retinue of local staff one of whom could probably help with providing suitable housing for the creature in the grounds in way that lance will be able to access and care for it without it getting in Moms way. and yes she could have knocked

Jack

Admin
Can I just send her back to the states?

Seriously, I understand a phobia isn't rational, but we have geckos (or whatever) and stuff around here. If she's going to run screaming every time she just sees a lizard, it's going to be a long two years.

As for the pet... we need to check with a local vet to see if these are okay. If not, maybe we can get him something a bit more mom-friendly. Even if they are safe, maybe he should just enjoy them outside.

As for discipline --- he did directly disobey, and he does know his mom is scared of these things. I'm going to ask him what he thinks, though I'm willing to let it go with an apology. And I'm going to remind her that she owes him an apology as well.

Emlyn Morgan

Trailboss
I like this one! Well, it's obvious. I'm going to pack her off home and divorce her. If you live in the tropics you've got to live with the snakes and the scorpions. If you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Don't mention deadly box jellyfish!

As for Lance. I'm going to whack him.

pushkin

Cowboy
Much as I would enjoy employing the standard Emlyn formula - 'I'm going to whack him' - it doesn't apply here.    Lizards, and more especially their cousins the cream-colored geckos, are among the most harmless and human-beneficial creatures on earth.   They're around my house all the time, doing a good job of eating up the insects that bite and defecate and spread diseases, and if one comes indoors, mistaking a crack or a hole or an open door as an invitation, they just need to be encouraged to return to their more natural environment and carry on the good work.   They've been around for a few million years longer than we have, anyway (with apologies to any creationists reading this).  

As for Lance, if the matter is handled delicately, this could be the start of a whole new beautiful relationship between him and his mother, to go along with his relationship with the lizard.   Who said he deliberately brought it into his bedroom, anyway?   Lizards have minds of their own.

David M. Katz

Marshall
Wizard needs to go back to the wild for all of the reasons that have been previously mentioned.  If the lizard wants to come back and visit that is fine but s/he is a wild creature that belongs in the natural habitat.

Yeah, I need to send Spouse back to the States, but that might make things look rather undiplomatic for me.

So, as a family we are going to talk.

Lance will be allowed to go to a shop that purveys lizards and get a lizard that was raised for the purpose of being a pet. We will also get the necessary equipment and education needed to keep the pet happy and healthy.  Lance can keep the lizard in his room.  Spouse will be made aware of the creature's presence and should either avoid Lance's room or enter with the knowledge it is there.

Yes, Mom entering without knocking was wrong but is irrelevant here. Closed door courtesy will be discussed when we sit as a family.  (Anyway, Lance is a teenager and Mom needs to learn to knock if she doesn't want to embarrass herself and her son.  Lance needs a lock and needs to use it.)

Yes, Lance, disobeyed but I can make the case that this one gets a pass.  Push makes a good point:  What if Wizard came in on his (her?) own?

No punishment for anybody.

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:Wizard needs to go back to the wild...

Ah, so Wizard is the name of the lizard. Here I thought the title was backwards, and should be The Lizard Wizard, since he obviously entered Lance's bedroom by magic.

Y Lee Coyote

Deputy
pushkin wrote:Lizards, and more especially their cousins the cream-colored geckos, are among the most harmless and human-beneficial creatures on earth.

This, for good or not, is NOT universally true.  

The biggest one of all -- Komodo dragon -- is both venomous and its mouth is infested with nasty bacterial that infect the victims of its bite and cause death by infection.  

The Gila monster is also venomous.

Generations are VERY dangerous.

Y.

http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Peter_Z

Wrangler
Me too would enjoy very much employing the standard Emlyn formula - 'I'm going to whack him'.

But as I have to be serious here, Lance has to free the animal and let it go back to the wild, that's his punishment.
And I stay with my wife - that my punishment.

Plagosus

Cowboy
Why the lack of sympathy for the wife? Some of us just find reptiles creepy. I can just about stand geckos if they are outside. I can sleep with a spider in the room, but not a gecko. Don't ask about snakes.

Not knocking is irrelevant. The boy was told not to keep the thing and knows his mother hates creepy-crawlies. Flagrant disobedience and lack of consideration.

db105

Trailboss
Plagosus wrote:Why the lack of sympathy for the wife?

There's a touch of misogyny in the forum sometimes, as some members have not had the best experience with mothers.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

Adric

Cowboy
I'm with Dave.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

Jack

Admin
db105 wrote:
Plagosus wrote:Why the lack of sympathy for the wife?

There's a touch of misogyny in the forum sometimes, as some members have not had the best experience with mothers.

Part of it is that many people tend to not have much sympathy towards phobias they don't share.

Another thing is that Lance is 14 years old - what if it had been something else he'd been playing with when his mother walked in?

Finally, while Lance did disobey - I believe kids learn at least as much from modelling behavior as from consequences, and when his mom is teaching him that rules aren't important and can be disobeyed when you want......

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum