a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

On Spanking: The Slipper

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am

ivor

Marshall
On Spanking: The Slipper

There is something of a mystery as to why the slipper is so called when talked of in spanking terms for the very simple reason that in most cases the implement used is not a slipper but rather a plimsoll. That can also have within the UK regional name variations, being called a dap in Wales and the south west of England for instance. However, in some instances the implement used can indeed be an actual slipper.

Confusing eh? Let’s try and explain.

When it was used in schools the so called slipper was almost certainly a plimsoll. Perhaps in boarding schools where boys might be punished in a housemaster’s room then the other type of slipper could be employed, but in normal day schools it would be a plimsoll.

I am of the view that back in the day when cp was a fairly normal form of discipline in schools, it was usual for the slipper to be used by form masters (teachers) to deal with run of the mill misbehaviour. The cane was normally only used by the Head (Principal) and reserved for more serious offences. Of course how much either was used varied considerably in terms of frequency and number of strokes.

I also suspect, but have no proof, that there may be another reason for this split level of punishment in that possibly/probably slipperings were not recorded in any punishment book whereas canings were. Neither happened often at the school I attended and I can’t recall anything being recorded. However, mine was not a state school so it is possible that a punishment book was the norm in those only.

A plimsoll would be either white or black in color and with a rubber sole. Usually it would be of a large adult size and very probably well-worn to give it added flexibility. The teacher grasped at the heel end and then applied the sole part to the rear of the pupil.

My belief is that slipperings would usually be applied to a boy bent over and touching his toes or grasping his ankles in order to present a tightly rounded target. It would be the norm for the boy being slippered to be positioned with his rear to the other pupils so they could see, and thus possibly be deterred from committing a similar offence. However, it is also feasible for a slippering to be applied with the boy lying over a desk, either of the master or another pupil.

Unlike paddlings in the US where these generally seem to be carried out in the hall or Principal’s office, slipperings were usually done in front of the class and without any other teacher being called as a witness.

In schools therefore slipperings in class were always carried out over trousers. Back in my time jeans were hardly known, but I suspect wearing those would considerably reduce the effect.

But, plimsolls were also very much the preserve of PT teachers and sports masters. In those circumstances the boy receiving would be wearing only shorts – and probably nothing underneath, so the effect would be considerably greater.
------
There is also the other type of slipper to be considered – the leather soled carpet slipper. This could be used in the home environment and thus could be applied in a variety of ways both in terms of what, if anything, the boy was wearing when being slippered, and also the position he had to adopt to be punished. Thus an over the knee slippering would be quite feasible.
I imagine that this type of slipper would have a similar effect to a leather spanker, but over a wider area.
---------  
As indicated, being slippered was always looked on as a more minor and thus less painful punishment than being caned. However, depending on how many strokes were given and the ferocity with which they were applied it could be quite painful. It was certainly possible to see the redness on the skin afterwards and if the plimsoll was one with a patterned sole then that pattern would be (temporarily) imprinted onto the skin.

I don’t recall being able to hear it before the blow landed, but if bent over and the blow delivered forcibly; you could be rocked forward from your position. It certainly made a noise on contact, but perhaps more of a ‘whap’ than the ‘crack’ of a paddle. There was of course immediate pain, but I think with most normal slipperings sitting down afterwards was not that painful. However, as the redness wore off it would be replaced a few hours later with bruising that did make sitting uncomfortable. That could last for a day or so.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Ivor+slipper

2 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 am

Adric

Cowboy
Interesting article, Ivor.  (Of course I had to look up plimsoll on the net to get a better idea of what the word means.)  I saw this done once when I was in graduate school.  In the summer session they operated a live-in recreational program for tween boys and they housed them in a dorm (Toyon Hall) a short distance from my dorm.  The counselors appeared to be older teenagers or early 20's.

Watching from my dorm window I saw one of the counselors corral three boys, talk to them briefly, and then have them bend over and grab their ankles while he whacked them, two licks each, with a "plimsoll".  I'm pretty sure it was a low-top black Converse All-Star because that is exactly what I was wearing at the time.  They all seemed to survive the procedure easily.  They put their hands on their butts and one of them stamped his feet a couple of times but otherwise there was little reaction.

I immediately took off one of my All-Stars and brought it down on my leg.  Thud.  Huh, well that wasn't very exciting.  As with any CP implement, I think you need the exposure at a critical time of your life in order to fully appreciate it.  This was not that critical time for me.

Thanks for the explanation of this distinctly British CP tradition.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

3 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 am

Zac

Cowboy
In general "slipper" in this context, can be taken to mean any footwear, especially the more flexible sort, that was used to apply corporal punishment. At school this was more likely to be a plimsolls (a.k.a. sand shoe) or gymshoe, at home it might be an actually slipper.

I can remember on occasions boys being told to fetch a gymshoe from the lost property box. Something that was at the back of mind at the time, but have only been able to articulate more recently, was how dark gymshoes had got into lost property the first place in school where the specified footwear for the gym or games in the summer term, was white plimsolls.

This final point I might have mentioned before a while ago. Until about 1980 in comics like the Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper etc, it was always possible that one of the stories might end up with the main character being whacked. In fact in with some characters, like  Dennis the Menace (not to be confused with the an American character of the same name), Roger the Dodger, The Bash Street Kids, it was the standard ending for most weeks. There did seem to be a convention that if the character was whacked at school it would be the cane, but at home it would be "the slipper".

Last edited by Zac on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

4 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am

Hasdrubal

Greenhorn
That was a really interesting read. While I am more interested in more "formal" punishment, I found this article quite enjoyable. In general, I find the On Spanking section extremely fascinating, and your article was no exception. cyclops

While I have no personal experience with it, I know that leather sole house slippers are/were quite common as spanking implements in some parts of Central Europe. Despite being born in the 90s, I'm still familiar with an expression in German "Dann tanzt der Schlappen" (and variations thereof) that roughly translates to "Then the slipper's gonna dance".

5 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:35 am

ivor

Marshall
After making my orginal post I came across the picture below which does illustrate a couple of aiming points for a slipper Smile

6 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:41 am

Hasdrubal

Greenhorn
Wow, nice view cyclops Thank's for sharing this one, Ivor Wink

7 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:21 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
A good analysis but I would add that at my primary school the cane was only used by the headmistress, (all the teachers were female) and I don't think it was recorded.  Moving up was a shock to the system since all teachers caned and no records were kept.

We took it stoically; the ultimate disgrace (leading to ridicule) was for a parent to come to school to complain.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

8 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:59 pm

WenseslaoD

Dude
Here in Mexico The Slipper, or "La chancla" as we call it, is probably the favorite spanking implement for domestic CP, and the most used along with the belt. The name it's used for swimming slippers (the ones that people use in a pool, sea, or at the shower.) Mostly applied by an angry mother is some kind of fast mild punishment, more like a wake up call. Usually a whack or two, a maximum of three or four. Delivered fast on a child's clothed bottom. Although some desperate mothers that have already lost patience could use a craziest method of delivering it "La chancla voladora", simply throwing the slipper to their kids.

I don't have any personal memories of being punished by the slipper, my spankings were more belt or switch type of. Probably I received it twice or thrice in my early childhood, but nothing to remember. Although I can remember the time my uncle spanked my cousin with one, he gave him three fast whacks with it on the sit spots of his trousers, it was for a fight with his brother over a Playmobil figure. I remember it because it was the only time I ever watched one of my cousins being spanked (although I heard a lot, and knew of many more times).

My personal opinion is that spanking a kid with an implement that is used to walk over the floor is not very healthy, so I think it's better to avoid their use.

https://www.wattpad.com/user/WenseslaoD

9 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:41 am

Plagosus

Cowboy
WenseslaoD wrote:My personal opinion is that spanking a kid with an implement that is used to walk over the floor is not very healthy, so I think it's better to avoid their use.

One can of course buy a slipper and keep it for spanking only.

Slipper should mean precisely that, and not any other form of footwear. As was said in one of my stories: "Some poor boy thinks he's in for a session with a comfortable carpet slipper only to find he's about to get it with a size 11 with a crinkly sole."

10 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:16 am

Jack

Admin
Thanks, Ivor.

I'm not sure when I first saw reference to 'the slipper' or to a boy 'being slippered', but I was rather confused.

In my youth, I remember one time being smacked by a tire-soled sandal, which hurt like the devil, but I thought of 'slippers' as a light house shoe.

Maybe someone could go to Google Image Search and post a picture of a plimsoll that would actually be used . I looked, but there seemed to be several different designs. What I think of is what we call just a plane canvas sneaker

With the exception of a bit of adult play, I've never used a slipper or shoe of any kind for more than a smack or so. The ones I used for adult play were L.L. Bean slippers with leather soles. They make a sturdy slipper, so they have a bit of weight behind them.

Oh, and while it's slightly off-topic, referring back to the original article:

ivor wrote:Unlike paddlings in the US where these generally seem to be carried out in the hall or Principal’s office, slipperings were usually done in front of the class and without any other teacher being called as a witness.

I think that's a modern thing. When I was teaching, we were supposed to have witnesses for the paddlings, but it was almost pro-forma. Likewise, students were not sent to the office then as a regular thing. I was called out of class numerous times to handle minor paddlings (or paddlings over minor manners) for female teachers who thought they wouldn't be able to do justice to a teenage boy.

While paddlings were never done in the classroom that I know of, I have heard it wasn't true in the past. Also, my first step-father tells me that paddlings in their elementary school were done in a cloakroom in the back of the class - so not seen, but very clearly heard.

11 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:14 am

Zac

Cowboy
Plagosus wrote:
WenseslaoD wrote:My personal opinion is that spanking a kid with an implement that is used to walk over the floor is not very healthy, so I think it's better to avoid their use.
It rather depends where they have walked over. Indoor is probably better than outdoor, especially in indoor has only been the gym.

Plagosus wrote:One can of course buy a slipper and keep it for spanking only.

This immediately take me back to the pages of the 'Beano' where the nuclear option for Dennis the Menace was the 'demon whacker', a crocodile hide slipper kept by his granny.

12 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

David M. Katz

Marshall
It would seem that shoes are not a common spanking implement in the USA. I have heard of a flip flop being used on an occasion but I guess "the slipper" never really caught on here.

This is a great discussion and very enlightening.

13 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 am

MemoryMan

Sherrif
In my wartime schooldays when footwear was part of the clothing ration we were issued with "off ration" gym strips at school, the shorts and vests could be taken home for laundering but the shoes HAD to be kept in our gym lockers.  The shoes were not hard wearing, having soles made not of rubber but some heavy black alternative composition that packed a real punch.

Believe me you did NOT want one of those across your shorts clad backside.  After being caught larking around in the showers once (age 12 or 13) I got it bare (and wet) as the whole glass crowded round as gleeful observers.  I became a hero for ten minutes because my compatriot cried whilst I managed to hold it in.  .............but OUCH!

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=MemoryMan

14 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 am

Jack

Admin
I wonder what that material was.

In the '70's, there was a brief popularity of tire-tread sandals (which I mentioned above, and which seem to be making a comeback).  

This is pretty much how I remember them.

As far as I can recall, I only ever received one whack, which was rather impulsive and on the pants (probably cut off jeans), but that thing made me howl. It was heavy, like a paddle, but still rather supple. I have noticed that some places are now offering rubber paddles for sale.

15 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 am

ivor

Marshall
Having looked online I've been unable to find a picture of what I'd class as an 'old style' plimsoll. Generally though they had been well used and thus become much more pliable than a new one and also seemed to be much less solid in construction than nowadays.

Perhaps a visit to Corpun would produce an image.

16 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 am

Zac

Cowboy
It is surprisingly difficult to find a picture of plimsolls as we knew them online, at least not with a simple google search.

This is the best I can find: https://proudmuma.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/plimsolls.jpg
White lace-ups, and black slip-ons.

17 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 am

ivor

Marshall
Zac wrote:It is surprisingly difficult to find a picture of plimsolls as we knew them online, at least not with a simple google search.

This is the best I can find: https://proudmuma.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/plimsolls.jpg
White lace-ups, and black slip-ons.

Thanks, Zac! Those bring back the memories Laughing

18 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Eldo

Cowboy
My bottom tingles at the memory of that...

19 Re: On Spanking: The Slipper on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Jack

Admin
Zac, the white ones are almost exactly what I had pictured.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum