Bransom, TX

a discussion place for our web site

You are not connected. Please login or register

Back to School 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Back to School 2017 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 am

Jack

Admin
My boys start back on 28 August, so a bit over two weeks now.

We've all been getting up early and using the (relative) cool of that time to enjoy being outside and active, so getting the boys back on a school schedule shouldn't be too hard for anybody. On the other hand, when I announced we'll have firm bedtimes again starting next Sunday, there were complaints and backtalk, so....

We had our doctor's visits this past week. Leti asked about what had happened with Dr. Sammy and my brother, Ben, at the beginning of the summer. That was just a sports physical. From what I can tell (I looked it up online and asked Sammy about it), an annual physical (or a 'well child check up) is more complete than a sports physical. Trying to be honest, I think it's mostly the same thing. All the boys went in anyway for several reasons.

1) We really were doing a lot of hard work this past summer (and you can tell that a lot of the boys are in much better condition). I felt it wouldn't hurt for them to get another look.

2) Several of the boys needed vaccinations.

3) Sammy didn't update his files on the boys when he did the sports physicals, and he wanted to update their height/weight and look through the files to see if any follow up is needed.

4) Several of the boys still under his care are ready to have their files closed out to be transferred to an adult PCP.

As I've said before, I loaned Sammy the money to purchase this from a retiring pediatrician, then to expand it, so I'm basically his partner in things, which means we do get special privileges. A few of my friends and I basically take over the clinic for a morning, with the mom's mostly staying in the waiting rooms, so you have groups of boys in the back area, stripped to their underwear, and playing around while waiting for Sammy or his PA or nurse (all males in this case, since the only lady there that morning is his office assistant). It helps keep them relaxed, and it's cute as heck (especially since we've recently expanded the littles with Paden, Glen, and Kline).

2 Re: Back to School 2017 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 am

kalico

Sherrif
Cute.... I bet the boys do feel more comfortable

Hugs kal

3 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:36 am

Jack

Admin
Yes, I will update the height/weight chart for the boys, but I'm not crazy about the format of this site's table function, and it takes me a while to do it. I will try to get that done later today.

I wasn't sure we were going to make it, but we finished all our back to school shopping. Chris and Marcus and Sarah went with me, and we managed to get all the littles done at once --- Curtis and Paden did get their bottoms smacked because they would not stop running around. The smacks were enough to get their attention, so they managed to avoid anything more serious.

For those who don't know/remember, I do require my boys to dress fairly nicely for school. While Bransom ISD doesn't have school uniforms, and I'm generally against the concept, my boys do wear slacks and collared shirts. They normally get to wear jeans on Friday. Of course, it's still short weather right now, and jorts seem to be out, so they wear short trousers most of the time. Most of my boys tend to have a bit more colorful taste than mine. While I'd be happy with what Austin Trading Co offers (khaki or navy shorts and 16 colors of polo shirt), my boys like things a bit brighter. I find the quality of Old Navy is rather hit or miss, but at least they offer things the kids would be seen dead in (or at school - whatever), so they get some money as well.

The older kids like to go with me. While our tastes don't always agree, they at least tend to trust me on whether things clash or not. Mostly though, they handle their own shopping, then just call me to cover the bills.

4 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 am

db105

Trailboss
Do other kids also go similarly attired? I used to wear jeans to school.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Danny

5 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

Jack

Admin
db105 wrote:Do other kids also go similarly attired? I used to wear jeans to school.

Even in schools without dress code, slacks are more common than they were when I was a kid. On the other hand, jeans are still the most prevalent, which is why I do let the boys wear jeans sometimes. Of course, jean shorts aren't common anymore that I see, and 'short trousers' seem to be at least as popular for school as basketball shorts, etc, probably because of pockets.

6 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Adric

Cowboy
Jack wrote:Even in schools without dress code, slacks are more common than they were when I was a kid.  On the other hand, jeans are still the most prevalent, which is why I do let the boys wear jeans sometimes.
I wore jeans and various long trousers.  In winter I had some corduroys with very thick cords (low wale) that I liked a lot.
Jack wrote:Of course, jean shorts aren't common anymore that I see, and 'short trousers' seem to be at least as popular for school as basketball shorts, etc, probably because of pockets.
My public schools did not allow short trousers, even though it gets plenty hot in Dallas at the beginning and end of the school year.  It seems strange that British schools required shorts when our schools prohibited them, especially considering the difference in climate.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=Adric

7 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 pm

18Smacked

Cowboy
I believe that we were allowed to wear shorts during the warm weather, but I also think that we only did that in elementary school; in junior high and high school, it would not have been “cool: to wear shorts. In junior high and high school, Levis and Wranglers were the rule.

That being said, I know that shorts for the lower grades had been an old, established tradition for our friends across the waters, as odd and as uncomfortable it must have been in the cold and clammy weather that they have. From what I understand, it has now changed and long pants, even for the lower grades, are largely part of the mandated uniforms.

http://www.malespank.net/listAuthor.php?author=18Smacked

8 A Meeting and Room Shuffle Fall 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Jack

Admin
I ran into one of my old friends yesterday.  We were talking, and he asked if and where Bryce was going to college.  I told him, he congratulated us, then started laughing.

"And that's funny because...?"

"Oh, I was just thinking about you talking about when Bryce went to college; how it would be just you and Van at home, and you might move to someplace smaller."

"Oh, shut up."

Smart-ass

I thought of that now, because I also thought, when I rearranged rooms about five years ago, I wouldn't be doing it again.

Yeah, that didn't last long.

My problem now is twofold.  First, I have a lot more younger kids than I thought I would a year ago.  Second, with Bryce and John going off to college, the age of my household is averaging way back down again.  I had an idea for partitioning part of the playroom off and had planned to start it once everyone was back in school.  Then Marcus married and brought home three step-sons, all younger than Kenny.

What I'm planning to do at this point is send Van and Zeke upstairs.  C&C will still share their bedroom, but I'm going to put one room aside just for grandkids, which will give them room to leave some things over here and a place to crash, without taking space from C&C.  I'm also going to split the tweens (who are only a few months away from having no tweens anymore).  Since Kenny and Colt have been and still seem to be best friends, they'll be sharing one room.  I'm planning on Leif and Devon sharing the other room.  Colt is closer to Leif's age than Devon is, but, just as Colt and Kenny have been best friends, Devon and Leif seem to have bonded.

In the five bedrooms upstairs, Parker and Ethan are still happy to share, so I'm going to leave it like that, which will give Van and Zeke their own rooms, and leave two for college boys.

As for college boys, that's going to be John, Bryce, Johnny and Josh, Noah and Barry, Mickey, Ryan, Greg, and Mike.  Jeremy will continue to share with Ethan and Parker when he comes down.  Bryce, Johnny, and Josh have shared a room this summer, so they can continue to do so.  Mike will still get his own guest room, which he's been using for several years now.  I remodeled the other guest room, so it's more of a boys room, with more space.  That will probably go to Mickey and Ryan, leaving the other room on the boys' side of the house for Barry, Noah, and Greg (the boys' rooms are a lot bigger than the guest rooms).   Clayton will remain in the garage apartment for now.

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone, because that actually works out pretty well.  The only real problem it leaves is when Thomas (Ryan's boyfriend for about 9 months now) visits.

Last edited by Jack on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed 'Marcus' to Zeke moving upstairs - thanks for the catch, Leti)

9 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 pm

kalico

Sherrif
Yeah for Ryan!

Sounds like you have it all figured out on rooms although I did have to chuckle on the first part as I remember you saying the same thing...lol

Hugs kal

10 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:00 pm

David M. Katz

Marshall
Concerning shorts: the boys here essentially show their knees year round unless it is really cold. It seems to be the "in" look at the high school. They have gotten more dressy over the past couple of years and wear nice shorts with a collared shirt instead of basketball shorts, a t-shirt and a hoodie.

In the new room assignments I didn't see where Fido's room will be. Surely he has his own room. albino Razz

Congrats to Ryan. Do you and Thomas get along well?

11 Re: Back to School 2017 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Jack

Admin
David M. Katz wrote:In the new room assignments I didn't see where Fido's room will be.  Surely he has his own room. albino  Razz

Fido prefers to keep his servant with him.

David M. Katz wrote:Congrats to Ryan. Do you and Thomas get along well?

Thomas and I get along very well. He's quiet, well-mannered, and a huge fan of music in general and Broadway specifically, so we usually have something to discuss. He spent time with us at Christmas and Spring Break last year, and a week at the start of summer. Ryan's also been out there to visit his family a couple of times.

12 Re: Back to School 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 am

Jack

Admin
Leti has pointed out that I screwed the room shuffle up pretty badly, since I left Liam out of the whole mix.

Yes, Liam will still be living with us, and will actually have his own room while the other boys are at college.

I also didn't mention where John would be staying while home, which will probably be with Zeke, since they're both used to sharing and have stayed together before.

The problem is that that Liam leaves me one bedroom short, which is why I was a bit surprised that things had worked out so well.

I'm going to talk to the boys and see what they think, but I might end up having to ask Van or Zeke or Liam to share, or consider not having a separate room for the grands after all.

13 Re: Back to School 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:41 am

LLALVA

Trailboss
Hugs Jack

Down stairs    
Adam/Grands    
Curtis/Connor    
Kenny/Colt    
Leif/Devon    

Up stairs
Van        
Zeke (John)      
Ethan/Parker (Jeremy)
Liam
Bryce/Josh/Johnny
Barry/Noah/Greg

Guest rooms
Mike G        
Mickey/Ryan

Garage
Clayton

Is it posible to transform the games room upstairs into another room?
Or to fix the college kids room for 6?

I love you

Leti

14 Re: Back to School 2017 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Jack

Admin
LLALVA wrote:Is it posible to transform the games room upstairs into another room?
Or to fix the college kids room for 6?

Leti, the game room upstairs is set up for role playing and card games or board games. I could probably put a couple of people in there, but there's no bathroom, and they'd have to share with the guest room or go across to the boys' side or use my bathroom. I would say that's an emergency option.

The boys' bedrooms are big, but I think six people would be squeezing it.

What I'm leaning towards now is the grands having to give up their room when the college kids are home, the tweens continuing with four in the room a while longer, or maybe having Van and Liam share. On the other hand, despite a six year age difference, Liam got along great with Mike, so maybe they can share when Mike is home.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum